Bg spike

Paulm80

So had first roast since diagnosed Sunday and the remains Monday . Nothing to hardcore just chicken , cauliflower cheese, broccoli , parsnips but more importantly gravy .
Bs started Sunday at 5.1 went to 6.6 after 90 mins then 5.7 after two hours
Yesterday had more gravy and parsnip
Started 4.7 - 90 mins 5.7 , 2 hours 5.7
Don’t really get that as I was expecting more of a spike yesterday
However I know it’s meant to be 2mmol maximum but how much do people on here allow?

Thankyou

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No more than a 2 mmol/l rise after two hours. You didn't have a spike at all. For me, it doesn't always work out like that (especially if a restaurant doesn't mention there's honey in their salad... *sigh*), but that's usually what I aim for. Your numbers look pretty good to me... Do you have the carb count for the gravy? There could have been a delayed spike an hour later, due to the fats in there, but... I'd just call it good and think back on a good meal. ;)

Reactions: Valsal and Paulm80
M

Member496333

Personally I’ve never bothered with the whole 2mmol/L rise thing. I just aim to stay below 6.0 permanently. That way I know my circulating insulin concentration is always minimal, which is my only real goal these days.

Your numbers seem great.

Reactions: EllieM and Paulm80

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also the home meters can be +/- 15% so trying to be accurate to 2 units rise is pretty hard as with the testing inaccuracy your really looking restricted to impossibly tight range as the test accuracy could allow ~1.4 units of change within two tests at the same time

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also the home meters can be +/- 15% so trying to be accurate to 2 units rise is pretty hard as with the testing inaccuracy your really looking restricted to impossibly tight range as the test accuracy could allow ~1.4 units of change within two tests at the same time
The +/-15% accuracy is compared to a laboratory not the consistency of readings. Taking 2 readings with the same meter and the same batch of strips 2 hours apart is going to give a meaningful measure of a rise even if the absolute values are not correct.

Reactions: Robbity
M

Member496333

The +/-15% accuracy is compared to a laboratory not the consistency of readings. Taking 2 readings with the same meter and the same batch of strips 2 hours apart is going to give a meaningful measure of a rise even if the absolute values are not correct.

I would agree with this. Certainly from my own experience anyway. None of the meters I've ever used have shown anything like a 15% variability. The Contour Next system I currently use has never recorded more than a 0.2 variation from repeated tests. I recently bought some new strips cheap from eBay and wanted to check their veracity. I did three tests on the same finger at the same time and all three were absolutely identical.

Absolute accuracy and relative repeatability are not the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paulm80

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can take two readings from the same blood drop, on the same meter, minutes apart and get different readings so whilst the numbers and rises are useful for trends I’m not going to take the actual numbers as gospel and believe the 15% error margin is for each individual test.
Edit to add it’s an accuchek mobile, a well regarded meter and I’ve had two of them with same behaviour.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair point, I hadn't thought of it like that.

However my monitor does swing by a 10% if o keep testing the same prick. It may just be ****. Somicare AQ

Paulm80

No more than a 2 mmol/l rise after two hours. You didn't have a spike at all. For me, it doesn't always work out like that (especially if a restaurant doesn't mention there's honey in their salad... *sigh*), but that's usually what I aim for. Your numbers look pretty good to me... Do you have the carb count for the gravy? There could have been a delayed spike an hour later, due to the fats in there, but... I'd just call it good and think back on a good meal. ;)

Thanks , so what is considered a spike then?
Would someone diabetes free rise to 6.6 after a meal ?

Paulm80

Personally I’ve never bothered with the whole 2mmol/L rise thing. I just aim to stay below 6.0 permanently. That way I know my circulating insulin concentration is always minimal, which is my only real goal these days.

Your numbers seem great.

Thank you

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Define “after”

Going out on a limb I think that although a metabolically healthy person (not all diabetics and prediabetics and insulin resistant people are diagnosed remember!) might go up significantly after a carb laden meal they will come back down to normal levels much more quickly than a type 2. One of the reasons for waiting a couple of hours to test by this time an insulin sensitive person would be back to normal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can take two readings from the same blood drop, on the same meter, minutes apart and get different readings so whilst the numbers and rises are useful for trends I’m not going to take the actual numbers as gospel and believe the 15% error margin is for each individual test.
Edit to add it’s an accuchek mobile, a well regarded meter and I’ve had two of them with same behaviour.
If individual readings had an accuracy of +/-15% then the idea of eating to the meter is pretty pointless. Suppose your bg was 6.0 before a meal and 8.0 two hours later, a rise of 2. But your meter was +15% on the first reading and -15% on the second giving readings of 6.9 and 6.8 a fall of 0.1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If individual readings had an accuracy of +/-15% then the idea of eating to the meter is pretty pointless. Suppose your bg was 6.0 before a meal and 8.0 two hours later, a rise of 2. But your meter was +15% on the first reading and -15% on the second giving readings of 6.9 and 6.8 a fall of 0.1
What other explanation for the same samples giving different readings on the same meter other than they aren’t all that accurate? Not saying that it’s 15% out but that it’s not consistent. Don’t think I’m the only one that’s found that.

I’m curious about @Jim Lahey says about the contour next one. I got a free one a while back but as I miraculously have a accuchek cassette on prescription I’m very reluctant to ask to change anything (to another meter strips for example) in case it gets stopped. Maybe I’ll get myself some just for a comparison set of figures.

M

Member496333

I’m curious about @Jim Lahey says about the contour next one.

Remember that Next One is just one particular Next meter. Next is the system, and encompasses many different meters. All use the same strips. While the strips are among the most expensive, I have found all the Next meters to be incredibly repeatable. Of course I cannot comment on absolute accuracy, but in my opinion you get what you pay for.

For what it matters, I currently use a Next One but do not have it paired to my phone, as I find the companion app a bit of a mess.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that Next One is just one particular Next meter
Yep aware of that, thanks. :) I’ve only ever used the accuchek (and a single libre) so curiosity might get me to do a single pot comparison

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends on who you ask.... For me, a spike is a rise of significantly more than 2.0, or a reading over 8,5, at 2 hours after the first bite.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Someone without diabetes could go above 8, but would probably reduce faster than a non diabetic. There's no drama in your numbers. What were you drinking with your chicken meal?

Paulm80

Someone without diabetes could go above 8, but would probably reduce faster than a non diabetic. There's no drama in your numbers. What were you drinking with your chicken meal?

Just water I think, was hungover from Saturday

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So had first roast since diagnosed Sunday and the remains Monday . Nothing to hardcore just chicken , cauliflower cheese, broccoli , parsnips but more importantly gravy .
Bs started Sunday at 5.1 went to 6.6 after 90 mins then 5.7 after two hours
Yesterday had more gravy and parsnip
Started 4.7 - 90 mins 5.7 , 2 hours 5.7
Don’t really get that as I was expecting more of a spike yesterday
However I know it’s meant to be 2mmol maximum but how much do people on here allow?

Thankyou

If I'm in single figures I'm reasonably happy ;)

Best,
Tom