What do you make of this...?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very interesting and may concern many of us...

It's not really a question of what you should eat, but whether you should eat at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Flora123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting Cocosilk, it was very interesting. It seemed to be saying it's mostly down to genetics but you can improve your lot by fasting at least once (for 5 days!) every 3 months.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting Cocosilk, it was very interesting. It seemed to be saying it's mostly down to genetics but you can improve your lot by fasting at least once (for 5 days!) every 3 months.

I'm not sure about the infomercial for Metformin though. Could it be true what they claim or is it just another trick to sell the drug I wonder?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure about the infomercial for Metformin though. Could it be true what they claim or is it just another trick to sell the drug I wonder?

I honestly don't know but my Consultant did say that metformin also gave protection against heart disease so it sort of makes sense that a drug such as metformin benefits other metabolic conditions.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly don't know but my Consultant did say that metformin also gave protection against heart disease so it sort of makes sense that a drug such as metformin benefits other metabolic conditions.
Would it make sense for a non-diabetic to take it though I wonder...

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You asked if it made sense for a non-diabetic to take it, I provided a link to a trial. As with all things individuals make their own choices. I have no links to manufacturers and I do not take it. Study sponsor info is usually available on research.

Reactions: Brunneria

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it make sense for a non-diabetic to take it though I wonder...

Peter Atilla takes metformin and talks a lot about it as an aid for longevity. Recently he talked about testing how it effects his performance and recovery. His initial observation was that it might have a somewhat negative effect there (at least the immediate effect).

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Peter Atilla takes metformin and talks a lot about it as an aid for longevity. Recently he talked about testing how it effects his performance and recovery. His initial observation was that it might have a somewhat negative effect there (at least the immediate effect).
Did he take it himself? I'm sure if you have no power left to try to help yourself in other ways then drugs like Metformin are probably life saving.
I think he is also in favour of statins for high cholesterol but cares mostly about particle numbers. He disagrees with Dave Feldman that the hyper responders are necessarily going to be okay with their high numbers because he himself didn't react that way to keto. He might be right. I think the pool of hyper responders on Dave Feldman's page has too many variables.
I still think you have to be critical of the push to take drugs as a solution if diet and lifestyle changes are possible and would also make a difference. But again, many cannot make the dramatic changes needed to make a difference so I guess we are lucky some pills do help.

P.S. I just read the article Peter Attia wrote about his experience with Metformin. He still takes it but reduced his dose and doesn't necessarily recommend it to all healthy individuals looking to extend their longevity.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Have you seen the video linked in this thread?
@ianf0ster
Hi,
I have now watched the video. As is usual with these sort of things it goes all over the place to find anything which may possibly improve lifespan - genetics; supplement for mice, so presumably not a drug but they give no details of what it is; 'simulated Fasting' (whatever that entails) for 5 days every 3 months; Metformin.

With the possible exception of genetics (having the right parents) I'm not convinced that they there is enough evidence to support any of these yet in humans at least.
I feel it is important to understand that with the Metformin, the idea is that if it can be shown to 'protect against CVD, Dementia, Cancer and Diabetes then it may increase average (though not individual) lifespan.

You may find this confusing but consider this: The 4 diseases mentioned are the biggest killers of middle aged to slightly elderly people, but the thing that most really elderly people die from is a simple infection such as pneumonia - their body and immune system gets so weak that they can no longer recover from simple but serious infections.

There is a study which shows for example that in the over 65's the group with the LDL in the highest quarter of the study population lived a statistically significant while longer than those in the lowest LDL quarter of the study. Naturally the Statin manufacturers are keen to obscure this by saying that that group with higher LDL are probably on statins.
So if you believe the Pharmas, not only are this quartile of the study population on statins (statin use or none was not recorded in that study) but also the statins were not reducing their LDL (like they are prescribed to do) and the statins were 'protecting them from the diseases of old age. -That is far too big a leap of faith (on no evidence) for me!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have also read the short plan document for the study on Metformin.
I don't hold that much hope out for the strength of the study since the subjects will only take Metformin ER for up to 90 days with a 30 day follow-up.
Quotes from the study plan document:

"Study Design:-

Study Type : Interventional (Clinical Trial)
Estimated Enrollment : 120 participants
Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Intervention Model Description: Subjects will act as their own controls: data will be collect on each subject at baseline, throughout exposure and following, exposure to metformin.
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Basic Science
Official Title: A Pilot Study: Metformin as an Inflammatory Modulating Therapy in Older Adults Without Diabetes
Actual Study Start Date : January 22, 2019
Estimated Primary Completion Date : May 2020
Estimated Study Completion Date : September 2020 "

"Subjects will have venous samples collected to better understand the cellular response to inflammation, thrombosis, and cellular respiration at baseline, at 4 time points throughout the 90 day exposure to metformin, and 30 days following the completion of exposure to metformin. At the same time points, subjects will have stool samples collected in order to assess changes in their microbiome. Finally, subjects will undergo cognitive testing through the NIH toolbox as well as physiologic testing including (six-minute walk test, grip strength as measured by a dynamometer, and a short physical performance battery) at baseline, after 90 days of exposure, and again 30 days after the completion of exposure."