Winters on it's way

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've done so well during the summer with salads. But how am I going to cope with colder days. I cant eat salad in the winter. Any suggestions for hot meals that arnt full of carbs. I do like my slow cook pot.

Janet
Onion garlic peppers chicken fillets or sausages mix up with tin toms or sauce leave all day the smell when home from work u walk in the door ahhhhh heaven!!

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another fave of mine, loving the texture of the cabbage. I use what's called "FLAT Cabbage," which I get at WalMart. I think it's used for making cabbage rolls. It doesn't take long to cook it - it cooks fast!

CABBAGE and TOMATOES (with meat of your choice)

1 flat cabbage, roughly sliced in chunks (core removed)
1 can diced, or whole plum tomatoes (roughly squished by hand)
gr chicken or pork
onions
garlic
chopped parsley
grated cheese - Italian blend (optional)
sour cream
olive or canola oil

1. Saute onions and garlic in oil until golden in color. Add the tomatoes (including the juice).
Season with salt, and bring to boil.

2. Add ground chicken or pork, stirring and mixing it with the tomatoes. Let cook for about 5 minutes, uncovered.

3. Add the cabbage, and cover. After a couple of minutes, stir the cabbage to evenly coat them with tomatoes/juice. Cover again, and let cook for another couple of minutes.

4. Check the cabbage. The cabbage will wilt down a bit, and it will be easier to stir it around.
Test a piece. Cook it to your preference.

5. Add parsley and stir, until parsley is wilted, but still bright green. Remove from heat.

To serve: put half in a bowl, sprinkle grated italian blend cheese, put some more cabbage on top of it (the heat will melt the cheese). Top with sour cream

juliec44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make frittatas that are very satisfying. You can do a bacon and cheese one, I don't use onion, or I love roasted veg which I use courgette, pepper and onion, with garlic, that I roast for 30 mins and then beat up 10 - 12 eggs, add grated cheese and the roasted veg and bake at about 140 centigrade (fan oven) until still a little wobbly in the middle. Yummy warm or cold.