Under weight and borderline prediabetes

Petitpois

Help!!! I am under weight for my height but have been this size for over 40 years. I eat a healthy diet, do as much exercise as my arthritis allows. I am due to start an NHS prediabetes program at the end of the month.

All information I have been given so far recommends diet and exercise. I am 5 feet 2inches and weigh 6 stone 7lbs. I cannot go on a diet.

Please can I have some advise that relates to someone of my size. Thank you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help!!! I am under weight for my height but have been this size for over 40 years. I eat a healthy diet, do as much exercise as my arthritis allows. I am due to start an NHS prediabetes program at the end of the month.

All information I have been given so far recommends diet and exercise. I am 5 feet 2inches and weigh 6 stone 7lbs. I cannot go on a diet.

Hello there Petitpois. In this instance, I feel pretty certain diet really means way of eating, as opposed to an objective of losing weight.

I'm a little taller than you, but still slight, and although it can take a bit or working out, I have been able to maintain very good blood sugar levels without totally disappearing.

Whilst many folks going onto your course will likely be carrying a bit of extra weight, they should be able to give you some help. It could also be useful for you to stick around a place where there are other people a bit like yourself.

Petitpois

Hello there Petitpois. In this instance, I feel pretty certain diet really means way of eating, as opposed to an objective of losing weight.

I'm a little taller than you, but still slight, and although it can take a bit or working out, I have been able to maintain very good blood sugar levels without totally disappearing.

Whilst many folks going onto your course will likely be carrying a bit of extra weight, they should be able to give you some help. It could also be useful for you to stick around a place where there are other people a bit like yourself.
Thank you so much. I know I am in a state of panic as I do not know how to improve my diet. My husband had type 2 diabetes but has lost 25lbs in the last 7 months and reversed it. Our diet is so healthy I cannot think what to do.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I know I am in a state of panic as I do not know how to improve my diet. My husband had type 2 diabetes but has lost 25lbs in the last 7 months and reversed it. Our diet is so healthy I cannot think what to do.

Some folks find they have rocket fuel foods, causing their blood glucose to rise undesirably. One of the tricky bits is working out what those foods are, but most of us do that by testing our blood glucose at home.

What sort of things do you eat at the moment? That might help members give you some suggestions.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I'm going to mention the elephants in the room. Feel free to ignore me because I'm probably rushing to incorrect conclusions.

1)Although T2s can be thin, it's relatively uncommon, and I'm not sure how many of those end up being diagnosed with LADA (slow developing adult T1). So I'd probably ask for a c-peptide test to find out how much insulin I was producing.

2) Hba1cs can be inaccurate for a number of reasons (certain blood factors, illnesses etc). I would buy a blood testing meter and find out what the numbers actually are, which is a good idea even if you are T2 (find out what foods you need to avoid).

If you're already eating low carb (with your husband) then I'd definitely recommend the above.

Reactions: Chris12345

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome! :)

And I am going to mention the other elephant in the room - you mention that you ‘eat a healthy diet’, but unfortunately, there are many, many different interpretations of what a ‘healthy diet’ actually is... so what do you eat on your version of your ‘healthy diet’?

Reactions: ruby_jane26

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, watch out for being a type 1/LADA instead of a type 2. The latest stats released said 40% of type 1's were originally diagnosed as a type 2. It's just rampant out there to be diagnosed wrong still. The problem with recognizing atype 1/LADA is you still make some insulin until you don't. The only way to know is to have an antibody test and a C-peptide test done.

Sometimes if things don't make sense, it means you could be a type 1. Just keep it in mind.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Petitpois
Welcome to the forum.
I have Prediabetes, I have never been overweight. My BMI is around 20.
Around 10 to 15% of people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes are not overweight, but it can be frustrating that so much advice focuses on losing weight.
I had to change my diet, and my blood sugar has been in the normal range for more than two years. I had to make sure I ate enough so that I didn’t lose weight.
I changed to LCHF diet (low carb, healthy/high fat). I cut out most carbohydrates.
I thought my previous diet was healthy, but it wasn’t for me. It led to my blood sugar being too high.
If you say what your current diet consists of, we may be able to suggest possible changes.

Reactions: EllieM

Petitpois

Some folks find they have rocket fuel foods, causing their blood glucose to rise undesirably. One of the tricky bits is working out what those foods are, but most of us do that by testing our blood glucose at home.

What sort of things do you eat at the moment? That might help members give you some suggestions.
Hi, I eat 3 meals a day starting with bran flakes with cold water. (I don't like milk.) I drink black tea, no sugar or lemon and ginger tea. I drink a hot chocolate first thing in the morning. Lunch is typically a granary roll with a lean meat filling or low fat hummus. I don't eat butter or spread. Evening meal 4 times a week is salad with maybe chicken, Scotch egg, or pork pie. No carbs. Also have bolognese, grilled salmon with new potatoes and vege, Fajitas, can only manage one, with a few wedges, Cottage pie and vege, home made pasty vege. Typical stuff. Have dessert once a week, ice cream. I used to eat sweets but now have no sweets or biscuits in the house to help my husband and son.

Petitpois

Yes, watch out for being a type 1/LADA instead of a type 2. The latest stats released said 40% of type 1's were originally diagnosed as a type 2. It's just rampant out there to be diagnosed wrong still. The problem with recognizing atype 1/LADA is you still make some insulin until you don't. The only way to know is to have an antibody test and a C-peptide test done.

Sometimes if things don't make sense, it means you could be a type 1. Just keep it in mind.
Thank you. I will keep this in mind and mention at next GP visit. Also, I am borderline over active thyroid which I think may be a contributing factor. Sorry, but what is LADA short for?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I eat 3 meals a day starting with bran flakes with cold water. (I don't like milk.) I drink black tea, no sugar or lemon and ginger tea. I drink a hot chocolate first thing in the morning. Lunch is typically a granary roll with a lean meat filling or low fat hummus. I don't eat butter or spread. Evening meal 4 times a week is salad with maybe chicken, Scotch egg, or pork pie. No carbs. Also have bolognese, grilled salmon with new potatoes and vege, Fajitas, can only manage one, with a few wedges, Cottage pie and vege, home made pasty vege. Typical stuff. Have dessert once a week, ice cream. I used to eat sweets but now have no sweets or biscuits in the house to help my husband and son.

Petitpois, there are a few tweaks you can make to your diet to help make maintaining weight (upwards) a bit easier, and possibly at the same time help with your blood sugars.

A number of things you describe having, above, would be tricky for many folks whose metabolism isn't in tip-top condition. Whilst you comment you don't have carbs, almost everything you list in your eating regime contains carbs - although not all of it in huge amounts.

Personally I found, as did lots of others on here, that reducing or giving up grains (bread, cakes, pasta, rice) to be extremely helpful, as they do contain a fair proportion of carbs, and few find it matters much whether their carbs are white or brown. Either way, they tend to push the blood sugars up.

Obviously, if we do that, we have to eat something instead, or we'll be both very hungry, and/or fade away! For most people that mean upping their fats a bit. Eating fat is now being better understood as not something to be scared of. Fat fills us up, and keeps us feeling fuller for longer, and for those of us wanting to maintain weight, they're highly calorific.

Of course, this probably all sounds very counter-intuitive, but when I was at the beginning of my personal journey, I found one of the most important things I did for myself was to buy a blood glucose testing meter and strips. Using that, I got personalised, real-time feedback, which helped guide me where my personal next steps should be in managing my condition.

Finally, your potentially overactive thyroid could be a factor in your very light weight. Are you having regular tests and reviews for that?

Finally, LADA is Latent Autoimmune Diabetes on Adulthood - in it's simplest form, adult onset Type 1 diabetes.

Petitpois

Hi and welcome! :)

And I am going to mention the other elephant in the room - you mention that you ‘eat a healthy diet’, but unfortunately, there are many, many different interpretations of what a ‘healthy diet’ actually is... so what do you eat on your version of your ‘healthy diet’?

Hi, I eat a diet healthy enough for my husband to have lost 25lbs in 7 months and reverse his diabetes. Loads of salad and vege. Only eat granary or brown bread, no butter or spread, don't like it. Water on bran flakes in the morning, black tea or lemon and ginger tea, no sugar, no milk as don't like it. No sweets or biscuits in the house to aid husband's maintenance diet. I don't eat crisps. All drinks are sugar free and have been since my kids had braces over 25 years ago. I use olive oil or vege oil but very rarely fry any thing. Cook all my own food don't buy ready meals. I don't eat much fruit, I do add salt to meals but am now stopping that. Drink a glass of Rose occasionally. I eat when I'm hungry so breakfast is typically at 10.00 although I will have been up for 3 - 4 hours. Lunch at 1.30, evening meal at 6.30. I used to eat sweets in the evening but now don't to support my husband.

Petitpois

Petitpois, there are a few tweaks you can make to your diet to help make maintaining weight (upwards) a bit easier, and possibly at the same time help with your blood sugars.

A number of things you describe having, above, would be tricky for many folks whose metabolism isn't in tip-top condition. Whilst you comment you don't have carbs, almost everything you list in your eating regime contains carbs - although not all of it in huge amounts.

Personally I found, as did lots of others on here, that reducing or giving up grains (bread, cakes, pasta, rice) to be extremely helpful, as they do contain a fair proportion of carbs, and few find it matters much whether their carbs are white or brown. Either way, they tend to push the blood sugars up.

Obviously, if we do that, we have to eat something instead, or we'll be both very hungry, and/or fade away! For most people that mean upping their fats a bit. Eating fat is now being better understood as not something to be scared of. Fat fills us up, and keeps us feeling fuller for longer, and for those of us wanting to maintain weight, they're highly calorific.

Of course, this probably all sounds very counter-intuitive, but when I was at the beginning of my personal journey, I found one of the most important things I did for myself was to buy a blood glucose testing meter and strips. Using that, I got personalised, real-time feedback, which helped guide me where my personal next steps should be in managing my condition.

Finally, your potentially overactive thyroid could be a factor in your very light weight. Are you having regular tests and reviews for that?

Finally, LADA is Latent Autoimmune Diabetes on Adulthood - in it's simplest form, adult onset Type 1 diabetes.
Oh wow, thank you this is so helpful. With the no carbs I just meant no potatoes with the salad meals. Obviously the scotch egg and the pork pie, I eat 2 really little ones, contain carbs.

The thyroid is borderline and I haven't been given any advice.

Thank you for all the advice and information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks for the info on your eating. I totally agree with everything @DCUKMod says.
And you have indeed, got an idea of healthy eating which is unlikely in the long run to help your glucose regulation.

Bran flakes are 65g carbs per 100g.
Of course, portion size is everything ;) But it may be worth weighing out your usual portion and calculating the carbs. The ‘suggested portion sizes’ can be surprisingly small! :)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300594937

If you compare the carb content of brown/granary and white bread, you will find insignificant differences between their carb contents.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256174499 white
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255000362 Brown
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300644303 Seeded
Each are within 15-18g carbs a slice.
The only difference is that the ones with a bit more fibre release glucose into the bloodstream a bit more slowly than the white.

I completely understand that you don’t like milk, butter or marge. No reason why you should eat stuff that you don’t like!
However, if you are going to be reducing/avoiding those harmful carbs, then your eating will need to shift towards more energy dense, satiating foods that will keep your blood glucose down, and your weight up. Nuts, low carb baking, pate, mayo, cheese, and so on.

You mention giving up salt. Is that because you have high blood pressure?
Despite the general belief, perpetrated by the media, only a minority of the population benefit from low salt.
https://medium.com/@drjasonfung/the-salt-scam-1973d73dccd

Please do not think I am criticising your current way of eating! You are doing what we have all been trained for decades by the media to do. Healthy wholegrains, low fat and low salt. Nearly every pre-diabetic and type 2 who arrives on this forum is aiming at what you are doing. Because that is what they have been told is healthy. And yes, if it results in some weight loss, it can help, for a while. But if we continue to overload our capacity to handle carbs, then the blood glucose continues to rise. For those who are already slim, then cutting back on carbs is even more important, since weight loss isn’t as likely to help. After decades of this media advice we are facing a type 2 diabetes epidemic. What a tragic coincidence!

I hope this helps a bit to tweak your way of eating into something that is enjoyable, sustainable, and gets you back to non pre-d levels.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I eat a diet healthy enough for my husband to have lost 25lbs in 7 months and reverse his diabetes. Loads of salad and vege. Only eat granary or brown bread, no butter or spread, don't like it. Water on bran flakes in the morning, black tea or lemon and ginger tea, no sugar, no milk as don't like it. No sweets or biscuits in the house to aid husband's maintenance diet. I don't eat crisps. All drinks are sugar free and have been since my kids had braces over 25 years ago. I use olive oil or vege oil but very rarely fry any thing. Cook all my own food don't buy ready meals. I don't eat much fruit, I do add salt to meals but am now stopping that. Drink a glass of Rose occasionally. I eat when I'm hungry so breakfast is typically at 10.00 although I will have been up for 3 - 4 hours. Lunch at 1.30, evening meal at 6.30. I used to eat sweets in the evening but now don't to support my husband.

Hi there Petitpois, I think you are making a mistake in thinking those 'healthy' foods somehow are different to sugary foods in that they won't cause glucose levels to rise, they do!. For example if you are going to eat a slice of granary bread, as far as your sugar levels go you might as well eat something else with 25 carbs in, ie a chocolate éclair, it will have a similar effect on your levels. Of course I am not saying that a chocolate éclair is equal to granary bread vitamin or nutritionally wise but BOTH will have an effect on your levels. A person will lose weight on your husbands regime but unfortunately if you are trying to combat pre diabetes you need to think again. It seems ridiculous at first and it is hard to understand how a diet such as yours can possibly be bad for you. For a 'normal' person that diet won't necessarily harm them but for a person with an impaired glucose system it CAN be detrimental. Think of every single carb as being problematic no matter where it's coming from and then create a diet that is right for you, maybe if you buy a glucometer and test following some of your meals you might be surprised at the results. Cooking from scratch is great but it doesn't mean that what you are cooking won't raise your levels. x

Reactions: Marie 2

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have you always been that weight or has it fallen recently? I was diagnosed type 1 at 43 years old and in the months in the run-up to my diagnosis was really pleased with the 1/2 stone weight loss - but then my body fat just seemed melt off me.

Despite ticking most of the boxes for a type 1 diagnosis my GP practice were convinced I was type 2 because of my age. The 2 week delay before I went to A&E meant I got very, very sick.

Please ask your doctor what tests they have some to rule out late onset type 1. Whilst being thin doesn't rule out type 2 you are a very low weight for your height, which should set alarm bells off with the GP

Reactions: Brunneria

Petitpois

Hi,

Thanks for the info on your eating. I totally agree with everything @DCUKMod says.
And you have indeed, got an idea of healthy eating which is unlikely in the long run to help your glucose regulation.

Bran flakes are 65g carbs per 100g.
Of course, portion size is everything ;) But it may be worth weighing out your usual portion and calculating the carbs. The ‘suggested portion sizes’ can be surprisingly small! :)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300594937

If you compare the carb content of brown/granary and white bread, you will find insignificant differences between their carb contents.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256174499 white
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255000362 Brown
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300644303 Seeded
Each are within 15-18g carbs a slice.
The only difference is that the ones with a bit more fibre release glucose into the bloodstream a bit more slowly than the white.

I completely understand that you don’t like milk, butter or marge. No reason why you should eat stuff that you don’t like!
However, if you are going to be reducing/avoiding those harmful carbs, then your eating will need to shift towards more energy dense, satiating foods that will keep your blood glucose down, and your weight up. Nuts, low carb baking, pate, mayo, cheese, and so on.
Thank you so much for all your input. To be honest I now don't know what to eat. I have started to look at sugar content etc on labels and have become obsessed with calories etc. Something I have NEVER done before. I have now lost 2lbs with the stress of it all. I have been this weight my whole adult life and never given it a thought. I am actually amazed that I didn't lose weight helping my husband with his diet.

A diet sheet given to me by a GP said to reduce salt intake. I have low pressure but that's normal for me.
Thank you again. I'm afraid my problem is ignorance, I don't know enough about diabetes. Big learning curve coming up!

You mention giving up salt. Is that because you have high blood pressure?
Despite the general belief, perpetrated by the media, only a minority of the population benefit from low salt.
https://medium.com/@drjasonfung/the-salt-scam-1973d73dccd

Please do not think I am criticising your current way of eating! You are doing what we have all been trained for decades by the media to do. Healthy wholegrains, low fat and low salt. Nearly every pre-diabetic and type 2 who arrives on this forum is aiming at what you are doing. Because that is what they have been told is healthy. And yes, if it results in some weight loss, it can help, for a while. But if we continue to overload our capacity to handle carbs, then the blood glucose continues to rise. For those who are already slim, then cutting back on carbs is even more important, since weight loss isn’t as likely to help. After decades of this media advice we are facing a type 2 diabetes epidemic. What a tragic coincidence!

I hope this helps a bit to tweak your way of eating into something that is enjoyable, sustainable, and gets you back to non pre-d levels.

Petitpois

Have you always been that weight or has it fallen recently? I was diagnosed type 1 at 43 years old and in the months in the run-up to my diagnosis was really pleased with the 1/2 stone weight loss - but then my body fat just seemed melt off me.

Despite ticking most of the boxes for a type 1 diagnosis my GP practice were convinced I was type 2 because of my age. The 2 week delay before I went to A&E meant I got very, very sick.

Please ask your doctor what tests they have some to rule out late onset type 1. Whilst being thin doesn't rule out type 2 you are a very low weight for your height, which should set alarm bells off with the GP
Hi, I have always been this weight. I was 6 stone 7lbs the day I got married. We celebrate our 44th Wedding Anniversary next month. Stress makes me lose weight, I have lost 2lbs since this diagnosis. My dad weighed 7stone 7lbs his whole adult life.
Thank you for your help.

Petitpois

Hi there Petitpois, I think you are making a mistake in thinking those 'healthy' foods somehow are different to sugary foods in that they won't cause glucose levels to rise, they do!. For example if you are going to eat a slice of granary bread, as far as your sugar levels go you might as well eat something else with 25 carbs in, ie a chocolate éclair, it will have a similar effect on your levels. Of course I am not saying that a chocolate éclair is equal to granary bread vitamin or nutritionally wise but BOTH will have an effect on your levels. A person will lose weight on your husbands regime but unfortunately if you are trying to combat pre diabetes you need to think again. It seems ridiculous at first and it is hard to understand how a diet such as yours can possibly be bad for you. For a 'normal' person that diet won't necessarily harm them but for a person with an impaired glucose system it CAN be detrimental. Think of every single carb as being problematic no matter where it's coming from and then create a diet that is right for you, maybe if you buy a glucometer and test following some of your meals you might be surprised at the results. Cooking from scratch is great but it doesn't mean that what you are cooking won't raise your levels. x
Hi thank you. I am in panic mode and need to learn a lot. I am now totally confused about what to eat and becoming very stressed. I will buy a glucometer and learn what is happening to my body. Thank you for explaining about the carbs.

Reactions: Marie 2