Upgraded to windows 8.1... Now locked out of PC.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Linux Mint 17.1
No anti virus running .
No anti malware rubbish not a million programmes running in the back ground slowing everything down.
Anyone can freely download and copy it and give it away.
If you download a copy and put it onto dvd or stick you can boot from that without installing it on your hard drive.
Your computer will run super fast even without a hard drive. You won't be able to save anything of course if you don't install it.
But you can do emails youtube facebook reading and posting coming here and doing what you do etc etc .
Most people ard that impressed they install it.
But ... just running it from a DVD means you can access all of your hard drive and tweak delete add whatever to your Windows system.
Thres a reason the space station and all the worlds super computers run on Linux.

Reactions: dbr10

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The best operating system available is Linux Mint. It's free it's fast it's secure. No anti virus no anti malware no antis at all. You're encouraged to give it away. Every super computer on the planet runs on Linux. The space station runs on Linux the military runs on Linux. If it's important it runs on Linux. Go download it for free. Make sure you know whether or not your system is 32 or 64 bit and if you can't figure that out 32 will run on any. You need someone to know how to download an iso. file and then put it on a stick or dvd and then install it. It's actually very simple but I know many people are a bit nervous of doing it themselves. There's no learning curve everything just works as it should. It's like using Windows seven. http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...int-18-the-best-desktop-operating-system.html iN THE LINK ............

Indeed, from where I sit, it’s not only the best Linux desktop, it’s the best desktop operating system – period.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Happened to me I had to get my PC man out and he took the darn thing away and wiped it for me then put all my old files back in a folder I could nto get intot he dam thing at all....

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you thought that was bad.....I bought my computer about a year ago and it came with W8 - it then kept nagging me to install the free "upgrade" to W10 - I wish I'd never bothered! Microsoft must have a bloody strange understanding of the meaning of the word "upgrade". W10 was so unstable and was lacking so many drivers for my peripherals (which until then had all been working OK) and certain programs such as "Mail" were unusable. After about a week of trying to get this cybernetic POS to work, I reverted to W8 - but the computer has never been as good as it was before installing W10. I don't know if they've fixed the bugs (and I'm not really interested, TBH) but it's incredible to think that MS would even consider putting this heap of **** out there without being sure that it would work. To call it a "Beta" would be an insult to the Greek alphabet.

Just don't do it, folks. Do something useful like playing "Pong" instead. GRRRRR.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Check out Linux Mint 18.
If you put this onto disc or stick you can try it out without even installing it. Boot from the stick or disc it's on and it will have no affect whatsoever on your computer. It will run the full operating system from the disc or stick,. It can even run a computer that has no hard drive. It's called a live disc. It lets you have a play with it do your emails and youtubes and facebook etc and if your happy with it press install.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Get a Mac :wacky:
Hey Mist I hope your guitar playing is better than your tastes in computing!
Anywhere on line I can have a listen? No I'm not Simon wotsis name so don't get excited.I just like people being creative whether it's pies paintings or music.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you're locked out of a pc go to the bios which is always available ... for a few seconds at boot up it'll say which key to repeatedly press to enter the bios. Be very careful in there don't alter anything unless you know what you're doing. You can safely and easily change the password in there though without having to remember the old one. A new one will give you access.
Since when was Windows 8.1 an update?
I'm a Linux man but have bought a new pc with Windows 10 pre installed. Been running it for four months now and I have to say I'm impressed. Putting it on older pc's doesn't always seem to work out unfortunately.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
For those of you on Windows 7 my advice would be to stay on it.
It's much better than the eights in my opinion.
I'd leave it till you're ready to go for ten.
Just my opinion from my own experiences.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best operating system available is Linux Mint. It's free it's fast it's secure. No anti virus no anti malware no antis at all. You're encouraged to give it away. Every super computer on the planet runs on Linux. The space station runs on Linux the military runs on Linux. If it's important it runs on Linux. Go download it for free. Make sure you know whether or not your system is 32 or 64 bit and if you can't figure that out 32 will run on any. You need someone to know how to download an iso. file and then put it on a stick or dvd and then install it. It's actually very simple but I know many people are a bit nervous of doing it themselves. There's no learning curve everything just works as it should. It's like using Windows seven. http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...int-18-the-best-desktop-operating-system.html iN THE LINK ............

Indeed, from where I sit, it’s not only the best Linux desktop, it’s the best desktop operating system – period.

Would agree there. Have it on my main desktop at home

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would agree there. Have it on my main desktop at home

Have had my linux system running 24 hours a day for several months now - not one crash or BLUE screen like you would get with Windows. Just think that Microsoft is so over-rated

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I've been on Linux Mint for years without a single problem and the only reason I'm now on W10 is because I got a new machine with it pre-installed.
Once the warranty is up I'll be back on Mint.
Fast secure and to me the same as W7 to operate minus all the antivirus anti malware etc stuff running in the bacground slowing the machine down.

butane

I've been on Linux Mint for years without a single problem and the only reason I'm now on W10 is because I got a new machine with it pre-installed.
Once the warranty is up I'll be back on Mint.
Fast secure and to me the same as W7 to operate minus all the antivirus anti malware etc stuff running in the bacground slowing the machine down. You can also use it to reset Windows password like WinPWD suggests: https://www.winpwd.com/reset-windows-10-password-ubuntu-usb.html

Linux is tricky for average users though it is great for programming and server management.

BTW, with poor gaming support

Last edited:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
OMG all this tech stuff muddles my brain

PatsyB

Type of diabetes