Metformin and Alcohol

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok - before i ask this, i understand this is not going to be medical advice and just peoples thoughts.

However, i have been T total for about 6 weeks because i have started metformin and there is a pretty stark warning about drinking with it on the packet.

To be honest, short to medium term this is fine as its helping me loose weight as while iw as never a big drinker, when a drink its the kebab and a week worth of "o sod it" that follows that gets me.

However, with Xmas and a few weddings approaching, i am wondering about two things:

Do people drink on metfomin - is it risky or highly unlikely to have severe reactions?

Do people not take the pills around an event? - Does it have a long withdrawal period?

I know both are perhaps silly tings to consider, but its almost motivational to stick at what im doing 99% of the time if i can get a little break without it seriously damaging me.

My main issue, is that i generally don't drink much, but when i do i will happily have 6 or 7 pints - is "biniging" more of an issue then a few drinks?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sno0opy,

when I was on metformin (highest dose), I had one to one and half glasses of dry red wine once a week.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I drank with it, my friend who is now t total drank loads on it, hence becoming t total, alcoholism loomed, so she stopped drinking but nothing to do with metformin.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drank when I was on it. Like you, I drink infrequently, but have several drinks at one time when I do 2-3 glasses of wine at one time. Vacation? Then I may drink 4-5 beers at a sitting. Anyway, my personal experience is i noticed no difference - didn’t make me ill, dizzy, etc.

D

Deleted member 308541

When I was taking Metformin, I drank low carb beer, single malt whisky and red wine.

I did not go out of my way to get %#^@ faced though.
be5Za.gif

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I drink very rarely, and I am on 1500mg Metformin a day. When I do drink and if it's beer, I can manage 4-5 pints in an evening. I make sure that I eat first and check my blood sugars before, during and after drinking. So far I haven't had any issues, just a headache in the morning. :inpain::wacky:

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not in any way scientific and we are all different.

I'm on 8 to 9 meds a day (one only when needed)

Most say avoid alcohol.

On a Saturday night I regularly hit the whisky, usually getting pretty tipsy, so far haven't noticed anything wrong and appear to have zero problems drinking it with the meds. The only time I don't do this is if I'm on antibiotics, then I always stay off it completely.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I apply all the recommendations in the ✻Patient Information Leaflet✻ ..so 'no ta' to booze.

Metformin and me, we get on a treat ..there is no way I am going to let alcohol spoil our special relationship ..it's a slippery slope, methinks.

Dark Horse

This article discusses the use of alcohol when taking metformin:- https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317311.php

As you only intend drinking on high days and holidays, it could be a reasonable option to not take metformin on the days you want to drink, particularly as you are planning to have a large intake which is more likely to put you at risk. It's advisable to discuss this with your pharmacist or GP.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, might give metformin a miss on a Saturday night then (although I've done this almost every week since being put on it in dec 2017)

Trouble is, nothing at all related to my diabetes, I suffer almost permanently from most side effects listed on most medication anyway, due to various health issues, such as.

Take 3 meds a day to prevent nausea
suffer from IBS
suffer from cfs/me and all it's complications
LPR
Acid reflux
Migraines
cramps
Asthma
Pain killers 3 times a day

etc etc etc

I usually find that after a couple of whiskies on a sat night, I feel much better, in much less pain, and I usually wake up Sun morning without my usual migraine too.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m T2 and out for Xmas meal tomorrow, I don’t drink much but now on new meds Stukker? Worried that my prosecco and possibly 2 gin and tonics will harm me? My count 7 months ago was 10.3, yes high but now 7 and 2 stone lighter. Should I not take the evening tablet? Currently take one after breakfast and one after dinner.
Thankyou and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Healthy 2020

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m T2 and out for Xmas meal tomorrow, I don’t drink much but now on new meds Stukker? Worried that my prosecco and possibly 2 gin and tonics will harm me? My count 7 months ago was 10.3, yes high but now 7 and 2 stone lighter. Should I not take the evening tablet? Currently take one after breakfast and one after dinner.
Thankyou and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Healthy 2020

"How long does glucophage/Metformin stay in your system?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 21, 2018.

Official Answer
by Drugs.com
Metformin (brand name: Glucophage) will be in your system for 96.8 hours which is approximately 4 days.

Metformin has an elimination half-life of approximately 17.6 hours.
It takes approximately 5.5 x elimination half-life for a medicine to be cleared from your body which is
5.5 x 17.6 hours = 96.8 hours for metformin.

However other factors to consider include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.

For more information see:
https://www.drugs.com/pro/metformin.html"

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Alexandra that was very helpful and to be honest surprising- I really didn't think the medication stayed in my body for that long- thanks!

MarkHaZ123

Personally never had issues with taking metformin and drinking. I'm not a drinker who drinks all the time. It might be once a month or once a week. I drink at the footy, home games I usually have 2-4 drinks. Away games I can be out for 18 hours drinking constantly so about 15-20 drinks.

Is never even thought to check on if the drugs can cause issues but as I say I've never had any personally

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I was told one or two won’t hurt but as I had my son’s wedding coming up in the next few months I did a deal with the doctor I got my figures down and was allowed to come of the MET and had a great time I’m still off it and enjoying a few again ! So to me there’s the challenge stick to the rules put down or do as I did

Reactions: DJC3

JayAmerican

I have never been a fan of alcohol (any kind) but would drink socially. In a way, getting T2 has a positive spin for me: I have a reason to not drink and now I don't fee any pressure to drink even socially. If anyone tries to encourage me I just tell them I can't have carbs for health reasons and BAM get out of jail free card. I don't mind people getting smashed around me, though, most people are more fun to be around when they're at least a little bit in the bag.