Problems with Insulin Pump and Work

Craig-n-

Hi this is my first time on this form and I have found a lot of your post helpful but I was not able to see any post to help with one of my main problems and that would be that I am extremely sensitive to insulin and I try to make a plan for any changes in my work patterns. My pump helps a lot and it is useful to have different Basel profiles but my work has not made it easy with them promising a new work pattern with more hours and they even specified how many hours and days they were going to change so I made my plans and Basel profiles but when I finally got my new work pattern and hours they are completely different from what was agreed and when I brought it up with my boss and told them how this new work pattern would require me to make a new plan and it could cause me problems with my BG levels but they could not see what my problem was and have now reduced my hours back to what they were originally and told me it was my own fault and It would have probably been the same with the hours and work pattern that was promised.

I am hoping that someone on here has some info that could help

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Craig-n-
Well as a T1 you can expect your company to make “reasonable adjustments” now the definition of reasonable is up fro grabs here.
So they gave you extra hours (which you had asked for) although not the specific hours/days so had the days/hours you programmed for been given in writing without any suggestion they would change? Or was it verbal and a probably?
Also, realistically, how long would it take to reset the new profile for the altered hours?

Craig-n-

It was a verbal agreement to keep 2 of my days the same as I work in retail and with it coming up for Christmas it’s not the best time for me to start changing my whole week plan as even just a 0.025 can cause my BG to go all over the place

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes is a pain in the neck and sometimes when your being impacted by others decisions it can feel that your being backed into a corner.

Maybe its time to step back, have a think and take another look, there are lots of pump users who manage shift work and make adjustments for specific sets of working hours, hopefully someone who does will add to this post.

Reactions: Kim Possible

AmyAwol

Sounds like discrimination to me. Had a lot of it at work in my time. Widespread ignorance with most people.

I just use a Temporary Basal Rate (Omnipod pump) during my shift and for an hour or so before and after. Took a bit of trial and error at first but for a busy day I use a 30% reduction and take about 70% of my mealtime bolus.

How you manage to get the hours you need and understanding from your employer.

Amy