How does Axokine act?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

What is the mechanism of action of Axokine?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 308541

What is the mechanism of action of Axokine?
Axokine, a modified ciliary neurotrophic factor, appears to promote weight loss in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is supposed to be an appetite suppressant. A quick internet search suggests it signals nerves to say you are fuller.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well it seems to act like leptin targeting the hypothalamus in the brain.
The majority of those taking it after a few months developed antibodies to it rendering it ineffective, the major area of concern for this is that it could possibly interfere with the action of endogenous CNTF as well.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They made a chimeric one which evades immune system.

But how exactly suppresses appetite by targeting hypothalamus? Is there an appetite centre or something?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well yes it's called the hypothalamus.

If you already know all the answers why ask.

Is this some sort of test if so I shall bow out.

Reactions: Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They made a chimeric one which evades immune system.
Are you referring to Xencor if so it does not evade the immune system.

"Xencor patent application raises the disturbing idea that subjects producing antibodies against CNTF analogues may eventually suffer severe adverse effects, as these antibodies could potentially interfere with the neuroprotective functions of endogenous CNTF. The application claims methods of designing CNTF analogues with lower immunogenicity than Axokine based on analysis of affinity of each modified epitope for each of 52 class II MHC alleles, and provides specific examples of such modifications. No such analogues are currently listed in Xencor's product pipeline."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciliary_neurotrophic_factor

And with that I shall say goodnight.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I doubt any of us know the specifics, we're just ordinary members of the public, maybe ask your Doctor? x
Or the biochemists who developed the compound.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
IL-6 also can pass the blood brain barrier and act on the hypothalamus..

Also in muscle and fatty tissue, IL-6 stimulates energy mobilization that leads to increased body temperature.

The hypothalamus has many functions apatite control and body temperature control among them eventually all roads seem to lead to the hypothalamus the bodies control center.

My reason for being on this forum is and has always been to find ways to live with and as far as I can control my diabetes, not to give lessons for which I am in no way qualified to do or receive lessons in bio medical molecular science .

I suggest you enroll on a medical science degree course or if you already have the degree do a masters and then a PHd and then hopefully all your questions will be answered.