Newbie! Need some advice on best ingredients and tricks

IanM73

Hi all

So, last week, we spent the week trying out things, working out what to eat, getting stocked up and so on.

So started properly today, had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, omelette for lunch with leek and bacon and then cauli rice (awesome it is indeed!) and some meat for dinner.

So, been looking around at things like Psyllium Husk Powder, and wondered if someone could point me to the best value to get, and what else should I get? Been on Bulkpowders and like the look of their protein pasta which says its not made of anything bad, but is it ok for Keto? What else can I replace pasta/rice/potatoes with, if anything?

Hope to spend about 6 weeks on Keto at first, see how we get one, wife is type 2 so really want to give it a go!

thanks all and appreciate any help!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my psyllium husk from Amazon. Jay be warned that some brands go purple when cooked, fine to eat though.

I like oomi noodles. The shiritaki noodles need to be rinsed several times.

Watch out for the salmon, quite often have sugar added.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hi all

So, last week, we spent the week trying out things, working out what to eat, getting stocked up and so on.

So started properly today, had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, omelette for lunch with leek and bacon and then cauli rice (awesome it is indeed!) and some meat for dinner.

So, been looking around at things like Psyllium Husk Powder, and wondered if someone could point me to the best value to get, and what else should I get? Been on Bulkpowders and like the look of their protein pasta which says its not made of anything bad, but is it ok for Keto? What else can I replace pasta/rice/potatoes with, if anything?

Hope to spend about 6 weeks on Keto at first, see how we get one, wife is type 2 so really want to give it a go!

thanks all and appreciate any help!
Hi @IanM73
Warm welcome to the forum.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @IanM73
Personally I wouldn't worry about any of these odd foods.. I've never used Psyllium Husk Powder or protein pasta.
Just eat green veg, meat, fish, eggs and dairy and save your cash.
Use keto as a good excuse to clean up your diet and try not to replace the bad foodstuffs with slightly less bad ones just ditch them altogether.

Reactions: seanj67

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought Bulk Powders through Amazon twice now - as I like to bake bread like things from time to time, but only once in a while. I waited until I'd had normal blood glucose levels for some time before starting to experiment.
I have psyllium flour, coconut flour, soy flour from Bulk Powders, but I get the seed and nuts/nut flour from the supermarkets. I disguise the purple colour of the psyllium with rye flour.
Everyday, I eat various salads, and quite a lot of stirfries, keeping the contents to foods with 10 percent carbs or less, and that gives me variety - particularly when I add in a pinch of herbs or spices if something seems a bit bland.

Reactions: jpscloud

IanM73

My problem isn't there are nice things to eat, it's that the variety isn't there, hence looking to replicate were possible. We are both serious foodies, so it's all about ingredients and good food, not just food.

Next is try some of the 'bread', that would fill the gap nicely. At the moment its becoming scrambled eggs and something for breakfast, like smoked salmon, ham, etc, then an omelette for lunch, then cauli rice and something else for dinner, which will get boring fast! not to mention the number of eggs involved!

thanks all

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try some sites like dietdoctor.com, ditchthecarbs.com or many others. Do google searches with the food or meal you fancy and add “keto”. It’ll throw up lots of alternatives and lots of keto recipe sites for you to browse. It really doesn’t need to get boring if you’re happy in the kitchen, nor do you need loads of fancy ingredients. Those I do buy come from amazon if there’s none available locally.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem isn't there are nice things to eat, it's that the variety isn't there, hence looking to replicate were possible. We are both serious foodies, so it's all about ingredients and good food, not just food.

Next is try some of the 'bread', that would fill the gap nicely. At the moment its becoming scrambled eggs and something for breakfast, like smoked salmon, ham, etc, then an omelette for lunch, then cauli rice and something else for dinner, which will get boring fast! not to mention the number of eggs involved!

thanks all

If you are foodies then you’ll know that taking away carbs is what high end restaurants do with huge success, carbs are simply not needed.
Have a look at Kate and Giancarlo Caldesi, they have a successful restaurant business and a recently published recipe book full of low carb, high end food. I’ve eaten some of it and I can tell you it’s bl**dy wonderful!

Reactions: jpscloud

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you are basically doing on a ketogenic (or very low carb) diet, is replacing all your high carb food with full fat food as your main energy source instead, so you don't actually need any speciality ingredients, and to start with I'd suggest simply keeping to the foods suggested by @bulkbiker - just don't go overboard with any fancy extras as you can go for these later if needs be.

My very low carb/not-too-strict-ketogenic eating style essentially my "normal" diet with all the high carb and very processed foods removed, and I've eaten this way for over five and a half years without getting bored - I'm still finding new variations on a theme. I do use suitable sweeteners (erythritol.stevia), and as I don't care much for eggs I don't eat too many and those tend to end up in low carb baked goods. I still buy most of my food from Ocado or Morrisons online and get more difficult to source items or sometimes larger quantities at good prices from Amazon. Google is also a good resource for this type of thing, e.g. there are dozens of recipes for low carb, keto or paleo "bread": Diet Doctor has a load of recipes (mainly including psyllium as an ingredient), but also try the keto bread information here: https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/keto-bread/

Happy keto eating!

Robbity

ETA: Before I discovered our forum I used Atkins as my original keto source, and the info I found included many gourmet/foodie type recipes, so worth a look too maybe?

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I personally have a love of shirataki or zero noodles, I prefer the rice even more, I have it a couple of times a week, it's best rinsed then dry fried til it squeaks. Some people hate it though :D
Cauli rice is another great substitute.
I can also recommend The Diabetes Weight-Loss Cookbook by Katie Caldesi as suggested by @wiflib amazingly yum recipes in there.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi all

Hope and welcome, love the fact that you are supporting your wife in this way

Tannedhaggis

I have been on and off this journey for a couple of years now, falling off the wagon mostly due to boredom and lack of preparation. Have been reinvigorated by Ivor Cummins podcasts, The Fat Emperor. From this I downloaded his book, Eat Rich, Live Long. The recipes were some of the best I have tried. The credits for these go to a chef, Ryan Turner. His cook book Boundless has amazing recipes all keto or low carb. Now I have keto food that’s worth the effort of cooking and preparing.