If I reversed a type 2 diagnosis in 3 months is it possible I was never type 2?

TheThorne

I have been reading lots of places that say Type 2 can't hit you suddenly and it can't be reversed fast either.

So if I went from 37 to 50 in 2 years but back down to 37 3 months later and now 32. Was I ever type 2 was that just a high glucose due to some other factors.

I had no symptoms, I am testing myself now and I have no reaction to carbs at all or anything. All I did was lose some weight and eat less junk.

Yes we have the always a diabetic fraternity but it was just one test. Can't one single HB1Ac test be wrong they didn't even sent it to a lab or do a 2nd test to confirm.

So yes I'm now almost not overweight and will stay that way if I can help it but that reading will hang over me forever.

M

Member496333

Hyperglycaemia can come on very quickly for a diagnosis. What you won't know is for how many years you had hyperinsulinemia - too much insulin. And yes it can be beaten very quickly in some individuals. For others it can take years. With an a1c of 50 I would say you were diabetic. Certainly in the absence of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Word of warning, though - keep your eye on the ball. The mechanism that brought about the original diagnosis can certainly bring about another one in the future if you get complacent. Impaired glucose tolerance is likely to always remain to one extent or the other. The mechanism for getting diabetes again is the same one that gave you it in the first place.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Under the rules - which are just made up to give something to work with, after all, yes, you were in the diabetic range.
So was I - well within, but in 80 days I went from 91 to 47. Out of range.
I know, however, that I have always had problems with carbs and always will. I did not have the classic symptoms, but was so overweight on a high carb, low fat low calorie diet - I had an equator, not a waistline.
Now I can eat a few more carbs, but I respond by gaining weight. We are all different, but I would suspect that if you went back to being overweight you'd start to see higher Hba1c levels again.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In short yes you could have reversed your diabetes very quickly. For example patients who undergo barriatric surgery lose their diabetes by stripping down liver fat in a matter of days or weeks apparently.
I am guessing you've done something to lose the extra fat.
There is a concept called the Personal Fat Threshold whereby if you tip over this you will be diabetic because of a combination of insulin resistance and insufficient insulin production and therefore even having reversed the condition you will have to be careful about the amount and type of carbohydrates you eat.
The other possibility is that the test you had (HBA1c) can be a false indicator if your red blood cells turnover at a different rate than the usual 12 weeks. I don't know enough to comment on how likely this is but given the HBA1c being the current gold standard diagnostic test, possibly not very.
Now you've got the strips at least you can occasionally check your fasting bg and see how your body handles your meals or exercise.
Anyway I truly hope your diabetes stays away but I'd be vigilant especially if you notice your waistline creeping up!

TheThorne

Thanks all I am staying on the side of caution as it is a healthy way to be and yes I will remember this post in 10 or 20 years if it comes back big style.

If I have a trigger at all I think it imight be fruit juice as carbs like mashed potato or chips don't affect me. Just a 0.5 rise 2 hours later.

I have only had the meter a short time and I'm going to see what happens and let you know. If it was genuine then I agree it was losing that beer belly fat that made the difference. I'm as svelt as I was 20 years ago now hehe

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading lots of places that say Type 2 can't hit you suddenly and it can't be reversed fast either.

So if I went from 37 to 50 in 2 years but back down to 37 3 months later and now 32. Was I ever type 2 was that just a high glucose due to some other factors.

I had no symptoms, I am testing myself now and I have no reaction to carbs at all or anything. All I did was lose some weight and eat less junk.

Yes we have the always a diabetic fraternity but it was just one test. Can't one single HB1Ac test be wrong they didn't even sent it to a lab or do a 2nd test to confirm.

So yes I'm now almost not overweight and will stay that way if I can help it but that reading will hang over me forever.
My first reading was 49. Three months later it was 43. I was never diagnosed as T2.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

In answer to that yes one test can be wrong that's why normally they do two tests before confirming the diagnosis.

I do find the term "Yes we have the always a diabetic fraternity" a little derisory if in fact if you never were diabetic to start with that cannot include you can it. Also as there are members here of all gender we cannot properly be considered a brotherhood.

If you were in fact correctly diagnosed I find it safer to accept that diabetes no matter what your status as regard to remission or reversal or what ever will always be lurking in the back ground ready to reassert itself so I would not think it a good idea to forget it and return to your previous way of life.

Just my opinion and you of course are free to disregard it at your pleasure.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was prediabtic a few years ago, went low carb and the next test was fine, but over a couple of years I slowly reverted back to my previous diet.
And a year plus later I was diabetic. Two HbA1c tests both around the same range three weeks apart.
A few months later after going low carb more strictly I was back in the normal range, but even one meal over wold spike again.
I've been in the normal range for a year now, and the odd meal with extra carbs seems ok (usually when travelling and struggling to get full fat milk and anything but sandwiches - I throw most of the bread away but even so) but I never want to risk returning to a higher carb diet again.

Red9

I was prediabtic a few years ago, went low carb and the next test was fine, but over a couple of years I slowly reverted back to my previous diet.
And a year plus later I was diabetic. Two HbA1c tests both around the same range three weeks apart.
A few months later after going low carb more strictly I was back in the normal range, but even one meal over wold spike again.
I've been in the normal range for a year now, and the odd meal with extra carbs seems ok (usually when travelling and struggling to get full fat milk and anything but sandwiches - I throw most of the bread away but even so) but I never want to risk returning to a higher carb diet again.

Do you drink alcohol now?

TheThorne

In answer to that yes one test can be wrong that's why normally they do two tests before confirming the diagnosis.

I do find the term "Yes we have the always a diabetic fraternity" a little derisory if in fact if you never were diabetic to start with that cannot include you can it. Also as there are members here of all gender we cannot properly be considered a brotherhood.

If you were in fact correctly diagnosed I find it safer to accept that diabetes no matter what your status as regard to remission or reversal or what ever will always be lurking in the back ground ready to reassert itself so I would not think it a good idea to forget it and return to your previous way of life.

Just my opinion and you of course are free to disregard it at your pleasure.

I did mean that a little cheekily, I don't want to be included in it that's the point, as there are people who believe that once you have a one diabetic reading you are diabetic for ever. I don't agree with this, blood glucose level is more complicated than that and I think just because my blood is a little sweet in one test doesn't mean, my pancreas is failing and I doomed and it will definitely come back and all the complications to go with it.

You are mostly all positive here but there is a degree of doom mongering fom some., been a lurker for a long time and as for returning to previous life, that's just it, I haven't changed that much. I am not low carb, I am having 1 bar of chocolate instead of 3, 1 have 1 cake instead of 3, I have a smaller pizza. These are easy things and I have lost so much weight, I am nearly normal BMI just 2lbs to go but I have gamified it which I guess why I am finding it so easy. Maybe the key is to detect possible diabetes super early like I did before I had any real symptoms and make the little changes then and maybe it will never come back.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think just because my blood is a little sweet in one test doesn't mean, my pancreas is failing and I doomed and it will definitely come back and all the complications to go with it.

That is provided you only consider the elevated glucose. If we expand the metabolic dysfunction or impairment to include insulin response...especially the 1st phase insulin response , then the problem would have existed far longer and would there need a longer time to recover...if ever...

That said, most of us would be able to get by fairly well in life, even without the robust 1st phase insulin response and subsequent insulin overcompensation, if we remain cautious about the type and amount of carbs we enjoy.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Maybe the key is to detect possible diabetes super early like I did before I had any real symptoms and make the little changes then and maybe it will never come back.
Maybe it won't that of course is uncertain maintaining a lower carb lifestyle may reduce that uncertainty somewhat.
I on the other hand no matter that my HbA1c tests are low and my blood sugar levels are for the most part are in the normal range know that as long as I take prednisolone I will be diabetic so I have to be vigilant and proactive I personaly think you should do the same.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: kokhongw

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the key is to detect possible diabetes super early like I did before I had any real symptoms and make the little changes then and maybe it will never come back.
Yes, I agree. I just wish my friends would get tested BEFORE they are aware of any problems. It would be so much easier to deal with being glucose intolerant then, as you have found. It is said that one in 10 of the over 40s is in fact at least pre-diabetic. Sadly, to a wo/man my friends prefer the ostrich position.