Still not eating low carb.

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
I am now one year a diabetic. I have gained several pounds over the padt year. I eat a little less carbs but can't do low carb. I dislike most low carb food. I am no fan of many meds but am still on maximum number of pills. I need to know how others suddenly start eating food that they dislike and give up great food. Everyday I tell myself I will do better but bread and milk is a staple in my diet. I need to understand how many do it.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how many carbs a day/ what do you eat? I’m not very low carb, but cleaned up my diet significantly and lowered my carb intake. I focus on whole foods which definitely does not include pasta, bread, white rice etc.

What foods do you like? I didn’t start eating foods I dislike. I eat plenty of vegetables, nuts/seeds, fruit, legumes. I like all of that.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Maybe an example of what you do eat for meals?

I take it you don't like chicken, beef, pork, fish, lamb, different cheeses, nuts, green leaf veggies, or veggies in general or berries?

I found just dropping the rubbish like bread, probably one of the worst highly refined processed foods you can find in a store and also, grains such as wheat, so no pasta, no rice or anything of that kind of thing was rather easy. If you replace the carb content with fat, so cheeses or nuts to make up the short fall so to speak. I don't eat foods I don't like. I do however, eat the most nutrient dense foods, such as meats, nuts, and cheeses. Many a way to cook meat. Many a wayto create a healthy low carb meal that isn't the same every time.

Perhaps check out www.dietdoctor.com for a range of different meals that are low carb. They have a lot of options.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gmt2,

You are obviously struggling. I understand. I too struggled with giving up the food I really loved. I still struggle with it some days For me it is not a choice. I want to live long enough to retire and to still have no complications at that time. This is a club I certainly did not want to join. However, most days I am finding it easier. I won't say I don't miss the food but most days I really don't think about it the way I did at the beginning. Human beings tend to be creatures of routine.

What sort of things do you like?
Do you like meat/fish/eggs?
Do you like cheese/cream?
What about cauliflower- you can add cheese of course?

It is hard at the beginning- at least I found it hard- I cried every day for at least 2 or 3 weeks- I still did it- for me the diabetic complications I could get would also be hard and not optional. I really really struggled and the amazing people helped me so much. I am very very grateful for this site. People here are really willing to listen and help.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do not wish to sound harsh but these are the choices we must make. For me there is no choice when it comes to deciding whether or not to eat nutrient poor foods that puts my risk of complications at a higher level than it need be. It is a stark choice that one has to make oneself, it isn't easy at first but once you determine your choices it does become easier as time passes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not easy for most of us, especially at the start. But it gets easier and you do get used to it and actually change what you consider nice food. Sometimes we still miss it or get annoyed that it’s so different to all around us. Some ease into the changes in food a little at a time getting used to it slowly. I jumped straight in as trying to eat less of the carbs was just too tempting. All or nothing is easier for me.
As asked in this thread and others you’ve posted in (pick one thread maybe to continue in or ask a mod to merge them perhaps for everyone’s ease and to keep your answers together and save repetition) let us know what you like eating and we might be able to suggest some swaps. Do you have a meter? If not I cannot say enough how much it helps, to understand what foods do in actual numbers there and then right in front of you. It doesn’t have to be forever, but long enough to show you the way at least.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Like the old adage says If your not with the one you love then love the one your with.

Learn to love or at least like the new foods doesn't mean you have to abandon your old loves entirely I still have the odd slice of bread but make it low or lower carb bread and I still have milk in my tea and coffee just calculate how many carbs your eating in a day and set a daily limit for your self .Also test to eliminate foods that are particularly bad for you.

Reactions: EllieM

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was determined to go low carb, after watching what happened to my mother after her diagnosis.
I don't eat most red meat but do like bacon. My BLT is now wrapped in lettuce leaves without the bread!
I can't digest eggs in the morning/first thing, although I can eat up to 1.5 eggs later in the day without too many bad side effects.
So breakfast was a major issue, as I was switching from toast and marmalade or croissants. Occasionally porridge. And if I couldn't get breakfast right, or miss it out, then I needed a new idea. But I hated the texture of chia seeds first time I tried them.

After trying chia porridge, I slowly tested a mix of oats, flaxseed and chia instead. Starting with less oats than usual, with just a little chia, then using oatbran as it's lower in carbs, then increasing the amount of chia and adding in more and more flaxseed while reducing the oatbran.
I now love a porridge with:
mostly milled flaxseed, with a spoon each of chia and oatbran, made with water and a little coconut milk. Once cooked I add a sprinkle of salt, some cinnamon, a little stevia sweetener and more water. Then swirl double cream on top.

The other high carb in my diet was rice or pasta. Pasta is harder so I usually have a spag bol mix (made with turkey mince in my case) poured over green beans - but for rice I make my own cauliflower rice. Just grate the florets (don't use the thicket stem or leaves), drizzle over a little oil and bake for about 14 mins at 180C. Reheat in the microwave, a frying pan, in hot water.

If you don't fancy these then check your highest carbs meals and see what else you can swap?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically started with identifying low carbs food that I enjoy...
Roast pork belly, pork ribs, steaks, eggs, cheese, nuts (almond, pistachios, cashew) ,70% dark chocolate...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am now one year a diabetic. I have gained several pounds over the padt year. I eat a little less carbs but can't do low carb. I dislike most low carb food. I am no fan of many meds but am still on maximum number of pills. I need to know how others suddenly start eating food that they dislike and give up great food. Everyday I tell myself I will do better but bread and milk is a staple in my diet. I need to understand how many do it.
I'd say you have a mindset problem here; you see eating low carb as deprivation and struggle so it is easy for you to find excuses not to start. Most humans where they have access to such foods will display some addiction to starchy and sugary foods because we are biologically wired to eat them. Yet you are eating these foods and don't feel too happy with your choices or the prospect of medications so I'd question how easy it is for you to be where you are now.
How about just doing it one food choice at at time? Don't make a drama out of it as if it is an all or nothing prospect but try and make the best choice available that you think you can live with for now. If you did make a bad choice, don't focus on that but do focus on what you could do better next meal. And don't assume you will always hate low carb foods!
Perhaps some people can jump off the high board but for many that is an overwhelming prospect and they need to ease in from the shallow end. The exception to this might be people who are dangerously ill with diabetic complications and I hope that is no where near in your future.
Here is a book you might find useful if you're feeling stuck (she also does a podcast):
https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Cupcakes-Broke-Girl-Transformed/dp/1544501242

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2017 I had my favourite delicious meals. Now, I still have my favourite delicious meals they're just different. Honestly, I couldn't stick to a way of eating if I didn't enjoy what I ate. For me, it was a transition. If you can stick to low carb even for a month or two it's no longer about willpower because your body starts to do the work for you. Once I'd cut down my carbs (to 20g per day) after a few weeks I stopped craving them. I could walk past old favourites in the supermarket without a problem (for the first time in my long, long dieting life!). My taste buds started to change and I started to really enjoy different things. It's not about giving up your favourite foods, it's about them changing.

Reactions: mojo37 and angustia

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to understand how many do it.

Determination. Firm resolve. Change of mindset. (I can only speak for myself.)

I used to smoke 2 packs a day (for more than 20 years).
In 1992, I quit cold turkey. Never smoked since.
Looking at it as a challenge - I did ask myself: which is stronger - me, or the cigarette?
I stayed away from things that associate with smoking (like coffee) until I was strong enough to have it without a cigarette. I used video games to keep my hands busy.
I'm doing the same now in a sense that I've prepared myself how to try to tackle this diabetes.

You have to plan. Have your own strategy. We're in a battle - fighting this.
Imho, being prepared for battle is very important!

Look at it from a positive angle.
I don't know what food items you don't like - but start by concentrating on single items that you do like.
Surely you like a fat juicy steak? Or a nice roast chicken?

Make a list of foods that are diabetic-friendly, that you like.
Start with that.

Last edited:

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Three years on following diagnosis I LCHF 99% of the time, on the odd occasion I stray off plan, and my meter will tell me by how much which will get me back on track. After years of eating low fat high carb it was hard to change my mindset, but reflecting on the problems all my maternal family had with diabetes helps me get back on track. You don't have to change everything all at once, you could look at all the recipes and menu plans on diet doctor. We tried the meatloaf recipe tonight with cauliflower mash and broccoli plus the delicious cream sauce/gravy. I doubt that any non diabetic would realise that it was low carb. This forum is an excellent source of meal ideas, help and support so have a good look around and try just changing one dish at a time. Try it and let us know how you are doing:smug: