How would diabetes tech help those who face diabetes struggles?

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely though, being connected to the pump I'm on is far better for people with anxiety issues, purely down to the fact that there is less to worry about in experiencing bad hypos allowing the user to be more relaxed with their diabetes. Before this pump, I constantly thought about my sugar levels and how well controlled I was where as now, I find it has moved down from my constant top priority due to the trust I have on it.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
just a POV, not medical opinion or advice: For TID, no amount of present day tech can properly overcome the deleterious effects a deficient or excessive diet.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure about the overcome bit, but preventative most certainly and has also helped immensely on my mental health. Before starting on the pump, I was aware of a certain amount of tingling in my feet which would worsen when my sugars were high. Since starting on the new Medtronic pump, that has practically disappeared proving to me at least that it's overall control has to be better.
Also when people say that they might get on it depending on circumstances, I feel that any Type 1 diabetic should be offered the opportunity to try it regardless of how well they think they are controlled. I have been a diabetic for over 40years now and even though I considered myself pretty well controlled, I have never felt better than I do now.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tech certainly makes things easier to a point. I *loved* having my Libre on, it gave me such an insight into what was happening, I found the information fascinating and it meant I could stop hypos in their tracks and try to stop massive spikes happening, it gave me information I could never achieve pricking my finger (I have been known to try!) and it was invaluable. I discovered that during the working week I get ‘foot on the floor’ quite spectacularly - almost a vertical line, and I discovered just how long Novosluggish takes to kick in for me (45+ mins to see a movement in my levels), I would never have discovered that without the Libre. I also loved the fact that I only had to finger prick to double check anything I thought was a bit wonky, if I felt a bit ‘off’ I could just scan my arm and put my mind at rest. I got pretty reliable results out of the two and a half sensors I tried, the only negative was the ridiculous amount of false lows I got from it, especially if I slept on it overnight, not ideal when you would like to see what is going on so you can tweak things. Sadly I have had to give up on them just now as I am possibly completely allergic to them. I might give it a few weeks and give Dexcom a go though as I do miss the ease of it all.

I would absolutely love a pump and would love to try closed loop, but I don’t think I am brainy enough to set the whole thing up, I feel I would need a lot of support and I have no idea if the nurses at RIE would have the patience to help me through it.

I have been an awful diabetic for many years and I really wish the tech had been available when I was diagnosed as I don’t think I would have half the bother I have now. I am still really struggling and I do feel the Libre helped and I would love to try a pump as I feel I could tighten my control even further.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You sound as if you're doing far better than you give yourself credit for. Pumps do take a little time to get your head around, but it's worth the hassle in the beginning. You will find that it will become second nature to you after a couple of weeks