C peptide test

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Just a quickly, i have the results from my recent testing,

HBA1C, C Peptite, Antibody's and Liver Function i think.

I have got the "results" of "no further action required" on all counts by calling up. I'm waiting for a call back from the nurse tomorrow to give me the details as the receptionist couldn't. I Would guess a HBA1C of 80 would still be "no action" because they already know im diabetic? In fairness im not expecting a good result as i was 87 in August and not enough time has passed for it to come down as only 1.5 months have passed since diagnosis. (I think they just took the test as i was seeing the consultant in the young persons diabetic clinic at the hospital for the first time and he wanted to see where i am).

Either way i will find out tomorrow.

The main question i have, i think the C peptide test will rule out Type 1? Does it also rule out Type 1.5 as that seems to be something slightly different or is there a specific test for this?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sno0opy The C Peptide test is a marker for insulin production so low levels and high blood glucose levels can indicate type 1, have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/c-peptide-test.html

Type 1.5 is slow onset type 1, so the same thing but latent auto immune diabetes (LADA).

Reactions: sno0opy

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know if the value can give any indication of insulin production? I know they say by the time your diagnosed 50% of your pancreas is not producing, do any of the tests actually give an figure for what that level is thought to be?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know if the value can give any indication of insulin production? I know they say by the time your diagnosed 50% of your pancreas is not producing, do any of the tests actually give an figure for what that level is thought to be?

I’ve never heard of any test that is that definitive. The C Peptide result needs to be considered in the context of what the fasting BG at the time was. It needs to be in the “normal” range to really judge C Peptide. If both were normal, then it says your insulin production is adequate in comparison to a metabolically “healthy” person. If FBG is high and C Peptide low end, it would likely read below normal if FBG is normal.

Reactions: sno0opy

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the comments, i will feed back what the results say tomorrow any way :)

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Just a quickly, i have the results from my recent testing,

HBA1C, C Peptite, Antibody's and Liver Function i think.

I have got the "results" of "no further action required" on all counts by calling up. I'm waiting for a call back from the nurse tomorrow to give me the details as the receptionist couldn't. I Would guess a HBA1C of 80 would still be "no action" because they already know im diabetic? In fairness im not expecting a good result as i was 87 in August and not enough time has passed for it to come down as only 1.5 months have passed since diagnosis. (I think they just took the test as i was seeing the consultant in the young persons diabetic clinic at the hospital for the first time and he wanted to see where i am).

Either way i will find out tomorrow.

The main question i have, i think the C peptide test will rule out Type 1? Does it also rule out Type 1.5 as that seems to be something slightly different or is there a specific test for this?
The c peptide test is to find out how much your own pancreas is producing my showed that I was producing enough but my antibodies were killing it of therefore I am technically type 1.5 because I take insulin all though I have been told that as I get older I will require more insulin and be classed as type 1. I have been diabetic for 3yrs and on insulin for 1 at the age of 56

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My c-peptide test was done (fasting blood test) and came back in the normal range, so it seems I am probably producing insulin myself (therefore T2) but my morning readings, before eating are always high anyway (FBG usually reasonable but within a short time it rises to very unreasonable levels). However, despite that, there was a lot of insulin in my blood, I was told. Dr thinks that indicates T2 but insulin resistant. I've been low carbing because I thought that was probably the case but it hasn't helped. I am also putting on weight despite intermittent fasting and low calorie eating. Maybe it's the high levels of insulin causing weight to pile on. I don't know. I also don't know if the test was skewed by my high levels of BG.

I don't think there was anything on that website that explained this situation - or if there was, I am too thick to understand it.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No results, my local Dr called me and said a load of the results were not available. Only that the c peptide test did was marked as no action.

Some thing about the tests being requested by the hospital consultant Dr and not the local gp. I will try again in a few weeks, they may have to go through the hospital Dr before they are added to my records?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the hba1c and some liver function tests were in.

Liver came back as normal, it had raised levels of some proteins 6 weeks ago.

Hba1c was 52. Considering its 6 weeks since diagnosis and perhaps 9 weeks since being a bit more healthy I'm very pleased. It was 87 end of aug so with end luck at end Nov when I have my full 3 month test it will be better. Fingers crossed it might even be in the ok range.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results. I too had a test done a few months back that the lab refused to even process let alone report on as it was ordered by the wrong level of dr! Needed to be a consultant not a gp, so it may well be it will need repeating if the consultant wants it doing