One year a diabetic.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is there anyone here that isn't all together with diabetes? It appears everyone on here is a superstar diabetic. Lost weight, kicked carbs to curb, athletic now! I feel like a pure failure. I am one year in and have gained weight. I can't give up my normal foods and am failing tjough my meds keep it together with no help from me.

I am gaining weight. How do others give up food they enjoy in order to lose weight? Being diabetic didn't suddenly give me willpower. Does it normally give many sudden willpower?

Edited by mod
I too have found it hard to change my eating habits, and am far from being a superstar. There have been numerous times over the last couple of years when I have felt deeply resentful over my bad luck at piling weight on, where others seem to eat what they like with never a problem. I finally decided to try and restrict myself to between 60-100 grams carbs per day. I do allow myself some leeway now and again. However I'm still prediabetic and sugar levels are stable [though need to be lower to get out of the danger zone]. I've found it beneficial to make small changes to start with. I've managed to cut out pasta and cereal, but still eat low carb bread and potatoes occasionally. I've experimented quite a bit, and just don't have the stuff I don't like. High carb treats such as cake and chocolate are strictly rationed but not excluded altogether. I like rice and don't care for the substitutes. But when I do eat it,it is strictly portion controlled. The low carb way of eating does shift the weight though if you persevere. I tried and dropped out, then opted back in again several times before I came to terms with it. I've managed to lose 1 stone in weight and this is despite several lapses from the straight and narrow. Ultimately only you can decide whether to continue as you are and sacrifice some years of life expectancy to the health issues that undoubtedly will arise - or to try and turn things round. I wish you all the best anyway.

andromache

I am gaining weight. How do others give up food they enjoy in order to lose weight? Being diabetic didn't suddenly give me willpower. Does it normally give many sudden willpower?

Edited by mod

Here's a powerful secret that isn't talked of enough: tastes change when the diet changes. For instance, if you are fond of cake, it will initially be tough to give up cake - no question. There's no getting over that: a little bit of willpower is required to start with because you will find yourself longing for cake. But - guess what? - that will change over time. Your tastes will change profoundly when you have given up refined carbs and sugar for a little while. You will simply stop wanting them or (and you won't believe this bit, but it's true) even liking them. So please don't make the mistake of assuming that you will spend the rest of your life longing hopelessly for things you aren't allowed. That just isn't the way it works, so take heart and give it a try.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

@Gmt2 hasn't logged in since they posted this question, so while everyone's input may be a very useful discussion for all readers, the original poster hasn't been back to read any of it.