Hobbies and Interests

JoeJOns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I'm looking to hear some of the positive things from your type 1 experience! What kind of hobbies and interests do you have and how does your diabetes affect or not affect these interests?

Kind regards.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoeJOns ,

I suppose the first thing I would ask are what are your hobbies & interests..?

I have a veriaty. Sometimes, the diabetes has been "interesting" regarding the results? But not at any detriment regarding my ongoing enthusiasm for my pursuits...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @JoeJOns,
I fly and (try to) make kites.
It is an all round activity as inclement weather leaves time to untangle kite lines and make or repair kites.
And sunny or cloudy days with the right wind conditions allow time to fly and enjoy them.
I have learnt to use a sewing machine, refresh my high school geometry lessons when drawing out kite designs, met lots of people with like minds and the relaxation when flying and the walking along the beach and the occasional run after a lost bit of kit blown along the beach all helps keep blood sugar under control.
Kites is a past-time for all age groups and I love helping children and families to enjoy the past time with simple to make kites.
It does have to be super expensive.
Kite festivals are a great time to meet people from overseas and different cultures and to enjoy the spectacle, too.
Best Wishes and enjoy the photos below.
Diabetes...........Nothing...............Any creature.......Diabetes -
somedays.........is..........................is.........................all about
better than.......impossible............possible...............balance................Workshop
others

P3310263.jpg 17903592_10206204455349159_992899227923968847_n.jpg IMG_6588.jpg P4220890.jpg IMG_3211.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6534 (1).jpg
    IMG_6534 (1).jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: SueJB and lizdeluz

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sailing (diabetes takes some planning), reading (doesn't seem to affect my diabetes), sudden spontaneous fun things with friends (may need some funny foods to prevent hypo's when running tight when something comes up unexpectedly).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoeJOns I suppose I just get on and live my life. Swim Training, gardening, walking and bird watching, cooking, looking after grandson and having as many holidays as we can afford. Diabetes comes along on this life with me and joins in. Sometimes it can throw in highs and lows, but I treat accordingly and continue on with what I am doing. I have my permanently packed kit bag ready to go anywhere at the drop of a hat, even to the corner shop. Then it doesn’t require much thought. The biggest is driving, but I make sure my levels are good well ahead of the need to drive so I am not held up at the last minute.
It all makes me sound a bit of a goody goody, but I was always determined never to let it prevent me doing anything I wanted to.
The big question is, have you some exciting hobbies in mind that you would like to try?

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I enjoy swimming, recently discovered how fun it is to play football, like playing Magic (casually) and other nerdy hobbies. Soon I'll be taking part in a local football tournament and an open waters swimming event, both requiring planning for meals, testing (I intend to use a libre during the matches) and having a kit nearby for emergencies.
Thanks to diabetes I also learned to enjoy reading about and studying complex topics (such as the workings of my body regarding insulin, etc.), as well as discussing them as a non-speciallist. Caring for oneself is not a hobby, of course, but sometimes I like to view it almost as such.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi
Well I have and have had a few hobbies etc, I’m quite determined to make sure diabetes doesn’t stop me doing anything I want to. Having had diabetes 40 years I had a few physical hobbies when I was younger ( rugby/ American football)
No as I near the grand old age of 60 my hobbies tend to be less of a collision, I have become keen photographer which comes hand in hand with walking , I live in Scotland so hills come with the territory, I also make garden planters and wooden “ things” with regard walking cycling etc these are all things that I do regularly. , as far as diabetes is concerned I’m on the libre so bs are easy , I just make sure I have plent of glucose and small cans of cola with me. Apart from that I do whatever I want to , when I was first diagnosed I was told I couldn’t be a pilot or drive PSVs , I didn’t want to so I do anything else , oh and by the way I still do all of this as a below knee amputee.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately brittle diabetes has killed all of those hobbies which involve exercise. So I mostly make retro computer games, play computer games made before 1995, do other freakishly difficult computer-related things, enjoy the natural vistas around Sydney's coast and spend time philosophising with family and friends. Diabetes doesn't tend to interfere with those!

To address the exercise problem, I've recently started keto and it's allowing me to get back into things like swimming, cycling and long walks. Still taking it slowly.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @JoeJOns,
I fly and (try to) make kites.
It is an all round activity as inclement weather leaves time to untangle kite lines and make or repair kites.
And sunny or cloudy days with the right wind conditions allow time to fly and enjoy them.
I have learnt to use a sewing machine, refresh my high school geometry lessons when drawing out kite designs, met lots of people with like minds and the relaxation when flying and the walking along the beach and the occasional run after a lost bit of kit blown along the beach all helps keep blood sugar under control.
Kites is a past-time for all age groups and I love helping children and families to enjoy the past time with simple to make kites.
It does have to be super expensive.
Kite festivals are a great time to meet people from overseas and different cultures and to enjoy the spectacle, too.
Best Wishes and enjoy the photos below.
Diabetes...........Nothing...............Any creature.......Diabetes -
somedays.........is..........................is.........................all about
better than.......impossible............possible...............balance................Workshop
others

View attachment 36079 View attachment 36080 View attachment 36081 View attachment 36082 View attachment 36083
Those kites are incredible!!!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also I dabbled in speed-solving Rubik's cubes in the past. And just yesterday I heard that pen spinning is something people take seriously...

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to crochet...I've attached a couple of pictures of things I've made
20191105_133947.jpeg
IMG_20190507_202944_101.jpeg
FB_IMG_1554232070723.jpeg

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@RainbowBrite . Did you make that gorgeous baby? :)
Lol nope....that's George, my cousins baby. My baby years are well and truly done...I have a 17 year old daughter and a 13 year old son...my husband now gets me a pet when I feel broody....so far I have 2 dogs, 2 fish and a snake!!

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WOW, RainbowBrite!!! I wish I were as good as you are at crochet! It's something I've always wanted to take up but it seems impossible for me to learn... You can make wonderful things with your hands, bravissima!
Thank you so much. I have been crocheting for around 2 years and I'm self taught using Bella Coco videos on YouTube!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@RainbowBrite . Thank you for raising a smile.
The thought of your husband coming home with a pet when you’re broody is nice, his choice of pets is really nice/ funny.

Reactions: RainbowBrite