Approved Question about diabetic wounds and healing

Kat_@_UofT

Hi there!

I'm a student at the University of Toronto, and I'm working on a term project in biomedical engineering. I'm trying to create a device to promote wound healing for diabetic patients. As members of the diabetic community, I'd really appreciate your feedback so that I can tackle this in the best way possible. Right now I'm gathering information, so you can reply to the questions below or add other experiences that you've had.
  • If you get a cut, do you always treat it seriously to prevent an ulcer? If not, how would you determine when things have started to get more serious?
  • In your opinion, what are common reasons that an ulcer would form? (eg. leaving a cut too long without treatment, infection, etc)
  • Are there any other problems you have with wound healing that you would like to see fixed?

Thanks so much for your time, and I really appreciate your insights.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Not sure if you are aware but in Sydney, Australia, they recently diagnosed a few diabetics with scurvy as their ulcers and other wounds were not healing. The diabetics were eating little or no fruit (not a surprise there) and overcooking vegetables therefore had very low levels of vitamin c.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends where the cut is. Feet and hands I try and keep dry and clean. If condition worsens I seek medical advice

Reactions: Freema

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I apply an alcohol swab to any cuts - at times I get quite a few cuts depending on the activity - I tend to get scraped and cut up when rock climbing and when I'm fly fishing I sometimes get hooked or if I'm cleaning a fish I'll end up cutting myself. I don;t know if it's because I have good circulation or I treat my wounds with rubbing alcohol but I've never had an infected cut and they tend to take no time at all to heal - mind you the alcohol stings but that never lasts long. :) Love to know what causes some to heal slowly or easily get infected - I've never had that issue even during the years I didn't do a good job managing my diabetes.

When I was a kid attending Diabetes Association meetings with other people living with diabetes there would often be presentations - I remember one in particular maybe 40 years ago now - it's etched in my mind. There was a presenter talking about foot care and the importance of keeping cuts clean - there were several pictures accompanying the presentation of people with infected feet, partial amputations etc - It scared the **** out of me!

So for those folks that have that issue - I sure hope you're able to develop something that will prevent infection. kat@UofT. I have a soft spot for Toronto - I spent three months at Sick Children's Hospital when I was very late in being diagnosed back when I was 4 years old :) They saved my life!

Reactions: Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always treat cuts seriously and I don't need to be diabetic to do that.

An ulcer might form if the wound became infected and so I would keep it clean, possibly disinfect and cover it.

I have been lucky so far and have healed in every case.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I worry more about sepsis than diabetic ulcers. Also tetanus. I clean with an alcohol wipe and keep them clean, make sure my tetanus jabs are in date, and keep a close eye out for any infection signs. Had I ever noticed any I would go to our Health Centre. So far my cuts have healed well and quickly, with no issues.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Never had any need to be concerned, but I eat lots of salad stuff and vegetables raw, and low sugar fruits, also raw.
Although I am recently diagnosed I suspect that I have had diabetes, or been prediabetic for a long time, but have eaten low carb for decades.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the reasons diabetics may have worse healing than non-diabetics is primarily because of blood glucose control.

So my first priority is to maintain my blood glucose as close to normal levels as possible. This will reduce or halt the development of the wound healing problems that occur.

Having said that, when and if I do get a cut, I would always treat it seriously, monitor it for infection (swelling, redness, seepage, pain levels)

My understanding is that ulcers form due to circulation problems, pressure and damage (basically reduced circulation causing reduced blood supply). Obesity and inactivity, damage (bruising and knocks), neuropathy, gout and complications like Charcot Foot.

At the moment, my wound healing is OK, although noticeably slower than when I was in my 20s! However I suspect this is more due to age than to diabetic issues, since ALL my healing has slowed with time.

Reactions: sandra curtis

rogerk38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a finger nail size ulcer just above ankle
Had it a few years no infection covered all the time
Been to nurse but after several visits still there
Any thoughts??

Luckily all other cuts/grazes heal within minutes

D

Deleted member 308541

I have a finger nail size ulcer just above ankle
Had it a few years no infection covered all the time
Been to nurse but after several visits still there
Any thoughts??

Luckily all other cuts/grazes heal within minutes
I have had great success healing a ulcer with Betadine ointment, where the wound dressing clinic at the base hospital could not heal it.

I have shown a Australian link as a example, but it is sold in the UK as well.

https://betadine.com.au/products/antiseptics/antiseptic-ointment/

Reactions: Struma

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that the best device is a BG meter with a booklet that explains "eating to your meter" and low carb.

Or a tablet to access this forum.