Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Short history.

Weight 15st 9lb in December 2018.

Needed Op in March 2019- HbA1c was 78. Couldn't have operation as level over 70.

Started losing weight (LCHF diet) and next Hba1c was 57.

By time of operation and HbA1c the week before, in early April, I weighed 13st 5Lb and HbA1c was 41.

Operation out the way i lost it. Weight hit 13st and, being Autistic and with limited food choice, I ate rubbish and a lot of carbs- also exercised as much as my body would allow given that I have Fibromyalgia as well.

HbA1c test 7th October......... 41!!!. Exactly the same as April.

I am absolutely amazed and all I can think is (1) I haven't eaten as much rubbish as I thought and (2) exercise really does help.

But yes, amazed!!!

Reactions: JAT1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Patrick! Fantastic result, whatever you’ve been doing is doing the job so all I can say is keep doing whatever you’re doing!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done Patrick! Fantastic result, whatever you’ve been doing is doing the job so all I can say is keep doing whatever you’re doing!
Thats very kind..I don't know what i am doing lol.

Balancing what I eat with exercise to burn it off ?.. Maintaining weight ?..its all a mystery to me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats very kind..I don't know what i am doing lol.

Balancing what I eat with exercise to burn it off ?.. Maintaining weight ?..its all a mystery to me.
Diabetes in itself can be a bit of a mystery to all of us at times :hilarious:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a number of people I’ve seen in here that have had significant reduction in hb1ac by weight loss even though carbs were moderate rather than low. Perhaps in your unplanned severely restricted intake pre op you managed to shed the fat around your organs and leaked them up” a bit and they are now behaving better. Bit like a self styled Newcastle diet maybe.

Whatever it was I hope you can maintain it. Perhaps giving you the boost you really needed.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There’s a number of people I’ve seen in here that have had significant reduction in hb1ac by weight loss even though carbs were moderate rather than low. Perhaps in your unplanned severely restricted intake pre op you managed to shed the fat around your organs and leaked them up” a bit and they are now behaving better. Bit like a self styled Newcastle diet maybe.

Whatever it was I hope you can maintain it. Perhaps giving you the boost you really needed.
I haven't measured my carbs at all.

I seem to have gone from very few to quite a lot, in my opinion, and have eaten potato, pizza, bread etc...and quite a lot of sweet stuff..

But yes, I may have shed some organ fat and the exercise has obviously helped.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great work, @Patrick66 .
Please be careful of the carbs, though. I thought I could get away with eating anything, including some high carb junk , when I first lost a lot of weight and achieved low HbA1c scores. After about 2 years some of the weight had returned, and scores started to increase. Carbs can be addictive. Not wanting to take anythingfrom your achievement. Just advising caution, so keep checking your blood, and keep posting to let us know all is well with you.

Reactions: HSSS

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great work, @Patrick66 .
Please be careful of the carbs, though. I thought I could get away with eating anything, including some high carb junk , when I first lost a lot of weight and achieved low HbA1c scores. After about 2 years some of the weight had returned, and scores started to increase. Carbs can be addictive. Not wanting to take anythingfrom your achievement. Just advising caution, so keep checking your blood, and keep posting to let us know all is well with you.

I'll certainly keep an eye on things. Thankfully I have discovered that things like bread, pasta etc are actually, to me, pretty un-enjoyable and I still have an eye on the healthier options.

I have some diabetic biccies and sweets now so that helps with sweet cravings not that they arise very often as I am more likely to say no than yes but thank you for your sound advice.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am absolutely amazed and all I can think is (1) I haven't eaten as much rubbish as I thought and (2) exercise really does help.
I like that.

BTW I am pretty certain that increased levels of physical activity on my part have helped accelerate my weight loss.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like that.

BTW I am pretty certain that increased levels of physical activity on my part have helped accelerate my weight loss.
I am sure it helps to lose and maintain weight loss- its a balancing act.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You must be thrilled... I don't know what you did anymore then you know what you did, but whatever you did clearly seems to be working out well. Good luck and I hope you continue to not know what you did and succeed as you are doing.

Great job Patrick!