What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a fabulous selection! And an impressive number of options would be suitable for carnivory and/or LC. Very impressed!
And sooo well displayed.
When I saw the halloween options, I immediately thought of @maglil55 ‘s grandsons. Mummy pizza. Creepy Colin. Oh to be that age again. :D:D:D
Yes, creepy colin and the mini zombies would indeed be popular. Boys have come up on M&S foodhall and we've used the platters for their parties before. We do try with the fruit and crudities platters but the minis prefer other things.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria - Did you use a recipe for your Jambalaya, or was it something you threw together utilising your culinary genius?

Haha! Flattery will get you everywhere. :D

It was a pack of this stuff (picked up in one of those posh garden centre shops when on hol)
https://shropshire-spice.co.uk/product/jambalaya-louisiana-style-spice-blend/
I am going to buy more, through the post. It was great.

1.5kg chicken thigh fillets, diced
1 chorizo sausage, diced
A pack of our local butchers sausages, pre-cooked and diced
1 onion, diced
A chopped green pepper
Half a head of celery, diced
Extra garlic
Stock cube
250mls water

I marinaded the chicken pieces in the dry spice mix for a couple of hours.
Then sweated the onion in my big le creuset, added the chook, water, stock cube and veg.
Simmered til all cooked.
Added chorizo and sausage chunks.
Simmered to heated through.
Served.

Next time i will use the IP, saute onions, then add everything else and cook for ?10? mins.
You could probably double or triple the veg content and enjoy it.

It made 6 big portions but could probably do 12 portions if served with ‘normal’ rice or veg side dishes.

:D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It was a pack of this stuff (picked up in one of those posh garden centre shops when on hol)

1 chorizo sausage, diced
1 onion, diced
A chopped green pepper
Extra garlic
Stock cube
250mls water

Then sweated the onion in my big le creuset, added the chook, water, stock cube and veg.
Simmered til all cooked.
Served.

Next time i will use the IP, saute onions, then add everything else and cook for ?10? mins.

It made 6 big portions but could probably do 12 portions if served with ‘normal’ rice or veg side dishes.

Thanks. I'd definitely IP it, and would likely give it around 10 minutes, else the veg would go well over. I'd also reduce the fluid for pressure cooking, or would you not think that necessary?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

1 chorizo sausage, diced
1 onion, diced
A chopped green pepper
Extra garlic
Stock cube
250mls water

Simmered til all cooked.
Served.

Reading the single review on the product, it seem it is sold in Aldi.

D

Deleted member 308541

I had my annual eye exam yesterday, so cut short lunch as that was the time of my appointment at midday.

Eyes are all good, I do not need new spex, but could use a bit more bulk in the guts to stop readings like this one. :D

2xsoMth.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Fairly routine food day. Lunch was bacon, eggs and cheese at cafe near work. Dinner was a bunless bacon burger (no cheese) with grilled onions and mayo at Five Guys. They gave me a huge portion of bacon :D

Then made an interesting discovery in TKMaxx. Found the attached while queuing to pay for a jacket. 100% cacao liquor. Also bought some lactofree whole milk so I can try it later.

3207AF6C-804A-4FAF-BB0E-A03FF0A37A81.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Wetherspoons with my daughter: gammon, egg, tomato, mushrooms and peas and three chips!
Mid afternoon: birthday cake Phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom and mature cheddar omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
My daughter’s back from Belgium for a few days and bought me a pressie, 4.9g carbs for half a bar! :hungry:

85BED7BF-18F7-42CB-8D36-76A127388334.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the hot chocolate is a success. Making in the quantities suggested the chocolate is 3g carb (I think the carb count is on the high side - there is only 1 ingredient, 100% cacao liquor, yet says 20g/100g). Used lactofree milk (same carb count as most double cream at 2.6g/100g), so the whole thing came in at 9.5g carb. No sweetener required.

No pic as I was too eager to drink it. @DCUKMod your planned cocoa whip would go nicely on the top :D

Edited for punctuation.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the hot chocolate is a success. Making in the quantities suggested the chocolate is 3g carb (I think the carb count is on the high side - there is only 1 ingredient, 100% cacao liquor, yet says 20g/100g). Used lactofree milk (same carb count as most double cream at 2.6g/100g), so the whole thing came in at 9.5g carb. No sweetener required.

No pic as I was too eager to drink it. @DCUKMod your planned cocoa whip would go nicely on the top :D

Edited for punctuation.

Ooooh,...... Said whip has been done - a batch, once. I only used about 200ml double cream, a couple of spoonfuls (yes, all very scientifically accurate) of Boiurneville cocoa powder (it's what is in the cupboard).

I made a lot of mess due to the small quantities of cream. No point putting it in the stand mixer, standard size food processor, so used the whisk attachment for the stick blender. I intended to overwhip the cream a little but overdid it a it.

I piped 4 dollopy, whips. One I ate immediately. It was fine. The balance - one refrigerated, two into the freezer. The second refrigerated whip I ate after a few hours - still firm enough.

The frozen ones, I ate one next evening. Leaving it about 15 minutes to defrost it was OK, but the best bit was the still frozen nucleus The final one I ate a bit later than the first frozen specimen, have taken it out of the freezer at the same time. That was a bit soft.

They actually gave me indigestion, as I was having them alone. I think aerating them in an aerosol foamer would work well, I'm positive; t make things lighter.

I'll try them again, but next time, eat one fresh, freeze the rest and eat as I feel like it, rather then within 2 days. That chocolate isn't a fave flavour for me could also have influenced how I felt about them.

Memo to self - practise piping, for salmon mouse/mackerel pate portioning. My current efforts won't be winning any prizes for their aesthetics

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

First day back at work and enjoyed seeing all my colleagues. Tomorrow's my first day teaching again.

Also received my chicken cracklings from amazon.co.uk. Thank you @Goonergal for your recommendation. Have to admit I am quite partial to them -- I have really missed something crunchy to eat (more so than bread or other things). So, for me it's a winner.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A smallish bowl of homemade soup. Two half a DD keto rolls with mayonnaise, cheddar and avocado.

Dinner: A small ribeye steak with low-carb ketchup, 70g of macadamias and two glasses of red wine.

Late-night snack: A chicken-wiener and an chunk of cheese.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum -- Keeping my fingers crossed that this cold will pass you by.
@maglil55 -- Thanks for the link to the pancake recipe. Will try this out, but have to admit that so far I have utterly failed at low-carb pancakes.
@SlimLizzy -- Hope your husband's surgery went well.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A smallish bowl of homemade soup (the soup that keeps on giving -- I continue adding veggies and meat in danger of turning). Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheddar.

Throughout the day: Five packages of chicken cracklings (note to self: limit to maximally two in the future).

Dinner: A mixed leave salad, homemade balsamico-lime-olive oil dressing, feta cheese, seven very small strawberries. Two glasses of red wine.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. @SlimLizzy - I hope it all went well with Mr Slim's surgery today.
Managed to get to Aqua today thankfully as I won't be there for a couple of weeks now. Just about to take the boys home as we're off to the theatre tonight - We Will Rock You. Really looking forward to it.

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Another mug of the chicken and mushroom soup. Last 3 portions are in the freezer now.
D. ? Will edit later. Eating out but I guarantee it will involve White wine spritzer!
We Will Rock You was amazing for any lover of the music of Queen. Have to say the cast did astonishing well considering the numbers were geared towards Freddie's near 5 octave range. Ben Elton did well with the story too. Lots of laughs. I would love to watch it again.
Anyway, dinner did involve 2 very large white wine spritzers and another small bottle at the interval. I had salmon pate with oatcakes. I ate 2 oatcakes and they didn't harm my BGs. Main was a bunless burger with cheese, lettuce, red onion, tomato and coleslaw. Americano and 1 Elizabeth Shaw dark mint.

Really enjoyable evening.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.9 FBG 6.5. Busy catching up on ironing today between the school runs, chiropodist, and picking up meds. My mind is still trying to work out what clothes to take. It's a difficult time of year because you can still get warm days. I'll decide tomorrow. Boiler arrived today so that is now sitting in my dining area ready for installation when we get back. Boys will be here late tomorrow as it's parents evening so I must get packed during the day. Hubby will be dispatched to the pub to keep him from under my feet.
No time to eat today.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing.
D. That chicken paprika again with veggie chips and wilted spinach.
Later I defrosted a DGF brownie and had it with raspberries and cream.

Looking forward to getting away though.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: skipped as had two flat whites out with friend and 3 hour catch up.
Supper: roasted aubergine chunks, two tomatoes, half red onion sprinkled with EVO and Italian dried herbs. This has become a firm favourite so eat once a week, is lovely sometimes with a lamb chop or steak.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

All day meetings today so very glad to have walked to the first one to avoid the feeling of being completely inactive.

Lunch was picked up from M&S. Smoked spiced prosciutto and cheese rollitos followed by a 28g bag of Brazil nuts and a handful of mixed nuts from a large bag bought by a colleague.

Dinner was a delicious sirloin steak.

Plenty of tea with cream throughout the day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Context is all. The Gloucester Old Spot puckered up and looked fine and dandy with lip gloss - absolutely nothing to do with looking after granddaughter today:). B-tea as per. Midday I ate some pork scratchings - seems I wanted a frisson of excitement from a mild form of self harm. Lunch = corned beef and tomato sandwich with some cheddar cheese. Evening was a CCB and LC cocoa. Reads like the day nutrition forgot. Also had a bizarre/hilarious Drs appt where she suggested I take a photo of the honourable member for fenland.:angelic:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Context is all. The Gloucester Old Spot puckered up and looked fine and dandy with lip gloss - absolutely nothing to do with looking after granddaughter today:). B-tea as per. Midday I ate some pork scratchings - seems I wanted a frisson of excitement from a mild form of self harm. Lunch = corned beef and tomato sandwich with some cheddar cheese. Evening was a CCB and LC cocoa. Reads like the day nutrition forgot. Also had a bizarre/hilarious Drs appt where she suggested I take a photo of the honourable member for fenland.:angelic:

Good Lord! Am I missing something? Why did your doc want a photo?