Spill the beans or crack the nuts......

Big piggy

Okay, a bit cryptic I know, but I hope it's caught your attention?
I desperately need a definitive answer, please!

Coconut WATER, can a diabetic drink it?

That's it, couldn't be more simple could it?

The reason I ask however, is a little more complicated. Refined sugars I know are a big no no!
But, are the natural sugars acceptable? A 330ml serving of coconut water hold approx 16.9g of 'natural' sugars and now that my blood sugars are under control, I don't want to mess up.

Please help?

T

Grazer

Hard to be definitive, but the amount of carbs (sugars) per 100 grams seems low to me. Various sites say a cup of coconut water has total carbs of 8.9. Don't know how big a cup that is, but sounds O.K for a drink providing it's not a general water replacement. So go for it but not by the gallon! Test after to see what happens.
I use coconut MILK in various things with no adverse effects

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only one way to find out. For me, it's probably a no - but drink it and then test. Drinks usually hit me pretty hard pretty quick - so you'll soon know!

[EDIT: Yeah!!! Coconut Milk/Coconut Cream/Creamed Coconut are AWESOME for cooking with (especially in curries). In fact - most coconut products are great, incl. (especially) Coconut Oil!]

ClaireG 06

I agree, the only way to really find out is by trying it an then testing. Different things are ok for different people.

Patch and Grazer are right. Coconut cream and milk are great in currys and seem ok for a lot of us to use :D