Hi everyone

Twitchy

hello, I’m new here. I’ve just been told I’m pre-diabetic and I could do with some support to help me avoid becoming diabetic. My mother and grandmother were diabetic and I’m quite overweight but I am losing weight and am doing an Atkins diet. I’m doing the Shakes for breakfast and lunch with snacks like boiled eggs or humus and peppers and a low carb dinner but I want to avoid getting bored so I welcome your suggestions

Reactions: jpscloud

Twitchy

I know it’s not completely sugar free but it is a drastic change. Are there any things I should watch out for that will increase sugars?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Twitchy and welcome!

You’re definitely in the right place for advice and support.

I see you’re doing the Atkins diet and reducing carbs is a great way to control your blood sugars and avoid full blown type 2. I see you’re using their shakes and wanted advice about not getting bored. I’d say that switching from shakes to real, low carb food would really help. If you need ideas try dietdoctor.com - a great resource of recipes and meal plans.

Finally, here’s a link to some useful information. Have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Reactions: Evie-D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at keto diets, just for information. As a T2 I am intolerant to carbohydrates, this is what raises your glucose levels, but we are all different and have different tolerances. If you have weight to lose, keto will get you there and once you have got through the carb addiction (it took me around 4 weeks) and then suddenly, no more hunger!

I would definitely recommend you get yourself a glucose meter. Find out what foods spike you and what foods don't.

You have found the best place on the planet for controling diabetes and the people are very helpful here.

Welcome to the forum, read lots and ask questions.