DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes yes yes! Brilliant. I love more than anything Googling a solution and finding it on YouTube and watching it unfold before my eyes. I think this is a great idea. A 'how to test' video, including general hints and tips. Link it here and youtube. @DCUKMod might advise on if this could be done?

This is on both this website and YouTube:

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Its world diabetes day on 14th November.

It seems a good day to highlight to the powers that be that:

1) current t2d guidelines are wrong
2) we need to be offered blood glucose monitors (what is measured can be managed)

It seems the majority of us coming to this site (and many others) are actively discouraged from testing. My DN said it can become obsessive and there really is no need to test! Apparently a 6 month hba1c that confirms AVERAGE bg in a 2/3 month period is the only monitoring we need to do. I liken this to being a mountaineer, if I scaled the highest mountain putting my life in jeopardy or a small hill where I could ramble along only an average would be recorded. I'm risking my life moreso climbing the biggies I feel!

I wonder how many would like to fund & cannot afford it? It should be provided for all T2'ds that demonstrate a firm commitment to want to manage their diabetes AND the benefits of testing should be explained clearly. We are all different, not one size fits all (unfortunately).

So I'm just testing the water here (not the blood just yet). If I was to set up a template letter along the above lines which we could each send to our respective CCGs (or equivalent outside UK) where there would be a blank page for you to write your own words if required who would be up for doing this?

My initial plan was to set up a petition, collect lots of signatures demanding change and march to no. 10 wearing my brightest yellow vest! But although dietary advise is being challenged and we are seeing lots of remission journeys in the media, maybe I'm being a little too optimistic. He is a tad busy at present our Boris!

Apart from sending to CCGs we could also send to high profile T2Ds like Tom Watson. The health secretary Matt Hancock. Head of NHS England. DUK. Etc etc. Any suggestions welcome.

I can help with putting letter together if you want to back up the standard letter with details of your own journey.

Really I'm just putting out the feelers. Is this the best place for this thread even?

Any feedback appreciated

Thank you.

Happy Monday to all.
I know when I've had chest pain or stomach issues the A&E doctors are impressed with my control on insulin. One asked how many times do I test. I test 6times for good control. Or I get bad control.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
This is on both this website and YouTube:

mechanically that explains it but does nothing to help understand what the numbers mean.

Also I’ve never actually used a lancet, thank god! Fastclix barrel with no fiddling or changing every test the And easy normal rubbish bin disposal only sane way for me. Cotton wool smool, a quick lick or a cheap corner of tissue

edit to clarify: an individual lancet as opposed to barrel style

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debra. The information we provide is based on the most up to date and credible evidence. We also take into account that everybody has different dietary and nutritional needs according to their diabetes type, medical conditions and lifestyle and would always recommend consulting a dietitian for specific advice. Our information comes from our clinical team in conjunction with senior clinical advisors. You can read our nutrition guidelines here: https://t.co/VzAOb6S6lL You can also read our low-carb position statement here: https://t.co/HjwrA69hRc We hope this answers your query, but do get back in touch if we can be of any further help'
Wow the guidelines really do support it don’t they

“short term” and encouraged to eat fruit and whole grains and to avoid red meat whilst doing low carb

what they give with one hand they cancel out with the other

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[

mechanically that explains it but does nothing to help understand what the numbers mean.

Also I’ve never actually used a lancet, thank god! Fastclix barrel with no fiddling or changing every test the And easy normal rubbish bin disposal only sane way for me. Cotton wool smool, a quick lick or a cheap corner of tissue

With respect, HSSS. What the numbers mean is no more one size fits all than any way of eating or exercise regime.

Someone coming here with an A1c of 100+, already taking stronger meds, such as Gliclazide, immediately telling them their range is 4-7 (or whatever) could be considered unhelpful and could certainly be considered dangerous, without a professional review of the medications that person is taking,

Similarly for those with significant comorbidities, and less usual types of diabetes. And of course, the testing (and of course treatment) pathways differ completely for Type 1s, but how can anyone, at or near diagnosis recognise all these nuances.

On a small matter of detail, every time you test your bloods, you are utilising a lancet. That the lancet is stored and delivered to your fingertip in a different way is a product feature. It doesn't mean the lancet is not in place.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow the guidelines really do support it don’t they

“short term” and encouraged to eat fruit and whole grains and to avoid red meat whilst doing low carb

what they give with one hand they cancel out with the other

On my final comment on this thread.

Not everyone needs to go particularly low carb, or low carb ninja to put themselves into a safe zone with their blood glucose. Those coming here with borderline diagnoses, or diagnoses of pre-diabetes could just need the odd tweak to put themselves into a safe zone.

That some folks chase a lower and lower A1c is their choice, but that isn't for everyone.

I do eat low carb, and I enjoy it. It's my new normal.

My A1c at diagnosis was 73 (Ooops - how did that happen?), so positive steps were necessary. Informed by information garnered from my home testing, I achieve a first, post-diagnosis of 37, and since my A1c has never been that high. My last was 27.

When I received my A1c score of 37 I was obviously very happy about it, but gave myself a decent talking to, because I understand that it is simply not possible for the number to go down forever; and particularly moreso, if I want to live a life that supports my being health, sociable and not fixated on food. I am keen that my mental health is supported just as well as my physical health.

As this is going to be my last on this thread, I will reiterate again, that things do need to change out there, but, in my view, diabetes is a portfolio conditions - lots of diagnostic factors and lots of nuances to it, and on that basis, it needs to be approached on a portfolio basis. By that I mean an array of options for the individual to choose from.

I am committed to DCUK, both on a professional and personal perspective. DCUK is doing masses, and masses of work, around the world to improve the lives of those living with diabetes, and with the aim to prevent and limit diagnoses, where possible.

Not everything everyone, or anyone does is "out there". But everything that everyone does matters. The NHS, NICE, RCGP and all the other monolithic organisations do change, but change is slow. Change takes time and must be managed. Unmanaged change has another name,.......... chaos.

M

Member496333

I feel that the key here is to educate on the importance of testing and let patients work out the best individual strategy for themselves, if they wish. Personal experience will always trump the advice of HCPs who will never experience all the nuances of glucose management.

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but I stress again that, in my opinion, it is imperative to STOP telling people NOT to test. Let them buy their own equipment without derision if the wish, and support them on their mission to fix their diabetes instead of treating them like idiots.

EDIT: There is no more irritating human on planet Earth than a know-it-all nurse castigating patients who have forgotten more about diabetes than he/she will ever know.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect, HSSS. What the numbers mean is no more one size fits all than any way of eating or exercise regime.

Someone coming here with an A1c of 100+, already taking stronger meds, such as Gliclazide, immediately telling them their range is 4-7 (or whatever) could be considered unhelpful and could certainly be considered dangerous, without a professional review of the medications that person is taking,

Similarly for those with significant comorbidities, and less usual types of diabetes. And of course, the testing (and of course treatment) pathways differ completely for Type 1s, but how can anyone, at or near diagnosis recognise all these nuances.

On a small matter of detail, every time you test your bloods, you are utilising a lancet. That the lancet is stored and delivered to your fingertip in a different way is a product feature. It doesn't mean the lancet is not in place.
With respect I never suggested there was a one size fits all as you seem to imply. My point was that without understanding the numbers they are meaningless, whatever position they are in

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my final comment on this thread.

Not everyone needs to go particularly low carb, or low carb ninja to put themselves into a safe zone with their blood glucose. Those coming here with borderline diagnoses, or diagnoses of pre-diabetes could just need the odd tweak to put themselves into a safe zone.

That some folks chase a lower and lower A1c is their choice, but that isn't for everyone.

I do eat low carb, and I enjoy it. It's my new normal.

My A1c at diagnosis was 73 (Ooops - how did that happen?), so positive steps were necessary. Informed by information garnered from my home testing, I achieve a first, post-diagnosis of 37, and since my A1c has never been that high. My last was 27.

When I received my A1c score of 37 I was obviously very happy about it, but gave myself a decent talking to, because I understand that it is simply not possible for the number to go down forever; and particularly moreso, if I want to live a life that supports my being health, sociable and not fixated on food. I am keen that my mental health is supported just as well as my physical health.

As this is going to be my last on this thread, I will reiterate again, that things do need to change out there, but, in my view, diabetes is a portfolio conditions - lots of diagnostic factors and lots of nuances to it, and on that basis, it needs to be approached on a portfolio basis. By that I mean an array of options for the individual to choose from.

I am committed to DCUK, both on a professional and personal perspective. DCUK is doing masses, and masses of work, around the world to improve the lives of those living with diabetes, and with the aim to prevent and limit diagnoses, where possible.

Not everything everyone, or anyone does is "out there". But everything that everyone does matters. The NHS, NICE, RCGP and all the other monolithic organisations do change, but change is slow. Change takes time and must be managed. Unmanaged change has another name,.......... chaos.
Again with respect you have misunderstood my point entirely, or attached your comments to my post in error.

I was not suggesting chasing lower and lower hb1ac nor was I advocating extreme low carb for all. I’m really not sure how you got that from my post.

I was stating that duk whilst supporting low carb, as ONE option of several, then go on to severely limit that support with their additional comments that can be contradictory to low carb.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Just to add further to my comments above - I also think it's fair to say that by not discouraging testing, and in fact showing patients that it may help them, more diabetics would realises that, actually, there is something they can do to help themselves, and that diabetes does not have to be progressive and life-shortening. I believe that just this one simple measure would enable more people to empower themselves to learn more about their condition and how they can beat it.

M

Member496333

Just to add further to my comments above - I also think it's fair to say that by not discouraging testing, and in fact showing patients that it may help them, more diabetics would realises that, actually, there is something they can do to help themselves, and that diabetes does not have to be progressive and life-shortening. I believe that just this one simple measure would enable more people to empower themselves to learn more about their condition and how they can beat it.

Of course the only problem here (it's raining outside and I'm on a roll) is that sales of Weetabix and Metformin might take a knock...:shifty:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all to level the playing field in the options made known to patients.

weight loss (usually by undefined methods) is already advocated
There is some degree of medical acceptance and promotion of Newcastle style diets
More exercise is already advocated
Medication is well and truely out there as a choice to be made

What is rarely suggested are low carb options
Also rarely shared with patients is an understanding of testing for type 2 purposes

By promoting these last two we are not saying these are the only methods. It’s saying remember them too when giving out the others so patients choose what’s right for them knowing all the choices.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just quickly sharing this for info as I'm currently chasing my granddaughter around!

Received this morning as a forward from my practice manager who is a legend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191011-101148_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20191011-101148_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Screenshot_20191011-101115_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20191011-101115_Email.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 290

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have mentioned, I believe that those of us who are able and willing should do our own little bit to inform others, and effect changes. Starting with our own GP, and or people we know who could benefit from the knowledge we have gained. Some people, including HCPs will not want to take on board what we are trying to tell them. I know, I have tried but I am sure I can be very annoying as a ‘born again ex T2’.

The following info was taken from the website of the surgery that is named on the leaflets @Debandez posted earlier in this thread. Emphasises to me that we all need to keep pressure up close to home.

Diabetes
Diabetes is a long-term (chronic) condition caused by too much glucose (sugar) in the blood. It is also known as diabetes mellitus. There are two types of diabetes - type 1 and type 2.

According to the charity Diabetes UK, more than two million people in the UK have the condition and up to 750,000 more are believed to have it without realising they do.

More than three-quarters of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes mellitus. This used to be known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or maturity-onset diabetes mellitus. The number of people with type 2 diabetes is rapidly increasing as it commoner in the overweight and obese, which is itself a growing problem.

The remainder have type 1 diabetes mellitus, which used to be known as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.

What's the treatment for diabetes?
It's recognised that the sooner the blood sugar levels are brought under control, the better the long term prospects of preventing damage. Lifestyle advice about diet, weight management and regular activity is the first step.

Type 1 diabetes will require immediate insulin therapy, Type 2 diabetes will first be managed with a drug called Metformin, if lifestyle changes alone aren't effective. There are now several other drugs used in type 2 diabetes, although eventually some type 2 diabetics will need insulin therapy as it's a progressive disease

Diabetes UK - How to take a blood glucose test

There is further information and education on the Diabetes UK Video Site

Useful Links
Diabetes - Healthtalkonline
Healthtalkonline, an award-winning charity website, lets you share in other people's experiences of health and illness. An excellent resource compiled after interviewing a wide range of people suffering from heart disease.

Type 1 Diabetes
An excellent resource with useful information and references relating to Type 1 Diabetes.

Type 2 Diabetes
A useful resource regarding Type 2 Diabetes.

Diabetes UK
Largest charity in the UK devoted to the care and treatment of people with diabetes in order to improve the quality of life for people with the condition

NHS Choices
Further information about symptoms, treatment, causes and prevention of Diabetes

These links all come from trusted resources but if you are unsure about these or any other medical matters please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have mentioned, I believe that those of us who are able and willing should do our own little bit to inform others, and effect changes. Starting with our own GP, and or people we know who could benefit from the knowledge we have gained. Some people, including HCPs will not want to take on board what we are trying to tell them. I know, I have tried but I am sure I can be very annoying as a ‘born again ex T2’.

The following info was taken from the website of the surgery that is named on the leaflets @Debandez posted earlier in this thread. Emphasises to me that we all need to keep pressure up close to home.

Diabetes
Diabetes is a long-term (chronic) condition caused by too much glucose (sugar) in the blood. It is also known as diabetes mellitus. There are two types of diabetes - type 1 and type 2.

According to the charity Diabetes UK, more than two million people in the UK have the condition and up to 750,000 more are believed to have it without realising they do.

More than three-quarters of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes mellitus. This used to be known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or maturity-onset diabetes mellitus. The number of people with type 2 diabetes is rapidly increasing as it commoner in the overweight and obese, which is itself a growing problem.

The remainder have type 1 diabetes mellitus, which used to be known as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.

What's the treatment for diabetes?
It's recognised that the sooner the blood sugar levels are brought under control, the better the long term prospects of preventing damage. Lifestyle advice about diet, weight management and regular activity is the first step.

Type 1 diabetes will require immediate insulin therapy, Type 2 diabetes will first be managed with a drug called Metformin, if lifestyle changes alone aren't effective. There are now several other drugs used in type 2 diabetes, although eventually some type 2 diabetics will need insulin therapy as it's a progressive disease

Diabetes UK - How to take a blood glucose test

There is further information and education on the Diabetes UK Video Site

Useful Links
Diabetes - Healthtalkonline
Healthtalkonline, an award-winning charity website, lets you share in other people's experiences of health and illness. An excellent resource compiled after interviewing a wide range of people suffering from heart disease.

Type 1 Diabetes
An excellent resource with useful information and references relating to Type 1 Diabetes.

Type 2 Diabetes
A useful resource regarding Type 2 Diabetes.

Diabetes UK
Largest charity in the UK devoted to the care and treatment of people with diabetes in order to improve the quality of life for people with the condition

NHS Choices
Further information about symptoms, treatment, causes and prevention of Diabetes

These links all come from trusted resources but if you are unsure about these or any other medical matters please contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.

Hi Pipp - Where did the two links in your post come from, because they go to a Bupa site that seems unreachable?

And the pedant in me being strong, but that Diabetes UK logo is very, very out of date. I am certain it was live in 2002, but I know of at least 3 logos in the last 4 years. Frustratingly, they change their logo with astonishing regularity, but don't bother telling anyone, until they mention stationary etc is out of date.

Hey ho.

DeeAitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you I actually picked up the recipe book in store today

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have come very late to this thread but I wonder whether it would be possible for countries (I'm from Australia) to have some sort of place (or website) where meters and strips could be donated. My father had them when he died and I suspect that my mother just put them in the bin. I am sure that I will have them when I die and I would like to think they could be used by someone else. I'm also reasonably comfortable so I could really see donating to such a place as something I could do from time to time. It breaks my heart when I read about people who can't afford a meter and test strips. My view is that the government will never fund these.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi I have come very late to this thread but I wonder whether it would be possible for countries (I'm from Australia) to have some sort of place (or website) where meters and strips could be donated.
The Lions Club of Australia collect old spectacles to refurbish and reuse in "under privileged countries", something like that would be good, but any traces of blood would have to cleaned off the meters before donating them.
when I read about people who can't afford a meter and test strips. My view is that the government will never fund these.
The testing meters are free from most meter manufacturers websites in Australia, and the strips are subsidised if you are a member of the NDSS, they cost $15.00 per 100 box instead of $65.00 for 100.

https://www.ndss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/order-forms/blood-glucose-testing-strips-order-form.pdf