10 months out

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Hi guys been in here for about three years but lost the plot at the start off this year got a bit depressed with work , pricking the finger,fasting numbers just about everything was just a bit to much so I just buried my head in the sand and forgot everything I know ! The wrong thing to do

I had to go for a medical for my occupation I was taken aback with what the doctor told me , my job was at stake if I didn’t pull myself out of this depression and start to look after my condition again so here we are today I restarted testing again and found my fasting figure not as bad as what I thought it would be 6.9

I didn’t go to far off track with foods but did occasionally slip in something that I shouldn’t have I now determined to stick to the plan and today’s figure is a benchmark to get it lower

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @bigjim19 Sometimes we need a kick up the @£$* to get back on track again.

It's good your posting this and you realise this, maybe try some exercise to help with the depression ? it's a good way to release endorphins so will make you feel alot better, I know as it worked for me when I got a visit from the black dog a few years ago and got into running, which I still do now, no great distances but enough to get the heart racing and blood pumping. Do you have a local gym ? If you do a personal trainer could work out a regime for you, or even just walking is a great way to feel better.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi guys been in here for about three years but lost the plot at the start off this year got a bit depressed with work , pricking the finger,fasting numbers just about everything was just a bit to much so I just buried my head in the sand and forgot everything I know ! The wrong thing to do

I had to go for a medical for my occupation I was taken aback with what the doctor told me , my job was at stake if I didn’t pull myself out of this depression and start to look after my condition again so here we are today I restarted testing again and found my fasting figure not as bad as what I thought it would be 6.9

I didn’t go to far off track with foods but did occasionally slip in something that I shouldn’t have I now determined to stick to the plan and today’s figure is a benchmark to get it lower

Hi bigjim19,
I'm rather puzzled why your doctor thinks you need to do more to control your T2D since your single reported fasting BG isn't bad at all (though it could be a one-off. Pre and post prandial ones and an HbA1C would be a better indication of how you are doing.

I suffered from depression for over 30yrs ( am not depressed now, but still need anti-depressants to help me sleep). Unlike man/most, I get no 'endorphin rush' from exercise - to me it either needs to be for a purpose (walking to the shops , or because I take my health seriously after a triple Coronary Artery Bypass) otherwise it is just a chore.

If you like sport, why not see if you can play sport regularly? For me, the only sport I enjoyed was Off-Piste Skiing, which my heart problem and failing eyesight ( floaters) forced me to end.

My depression came back briefly after my T2 diagnosis, but once I took control of my diet and Blood Glucose I felt much more in control of my life - and thus my mood improved considerably.

Best wishes,
Ian

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bigjim19 and welcome back.

Good on you for finding your way back here and drawing a line in the sand. It’s hard when you go through those periods. Keep posting - the support here can definitely carry you through.

Reactions: bigjim19

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi bigjim19,
I'm rather puzzled why your doctor thinks you need to do more to control your T2D since your single reported fasting BG isn't bad at all (though it could be a one-off. Pre and post prandial ones and an HbA1C would be a better indication of how you are doing.

I suffered from depression for over 30yrs ( am not depressed now, but still need anti-depressants to help me sleep). Unlike man/most, I get no 'endorphin rush' from exercise - to me it either needs to be for a purpose (walking to the shops , or because I take my health seriously after a triple Coronary Artery Bypass) otherwise it is just a chore.

If you like sport, why not see if you can play sport regularly? For me, the only sport I enjoyed was Off-Piste Skiing, which my heart problem and failing eyesight ( floaters) forced me to end.

My depression came back briefly after my T2 diagnosis, but once I took control of my diet and Blood Glucose I felt much more in control of my life - and thus my mood improved considerably.

Best wishes,
Ian

Sorry I should have stated that it was a non diabetic medical the doctor only asked how I was controlling it because I drive for a living it wasn’t done in my local surgery I was maybe a little to honest with him but it had the desired effect

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back,

You obviously haven't gone too far wrong. That said if you drive for a living that probably makes it a bit harder to eat well and to be active during the day. The safety issues also ramp up the importance of keeping all medical issues under control.

Good luck with getting the next figure even lower.

Reactions: bigjim19

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi and welcome back,

You obviously haven't gone too far wrong. That said if you drive for a living that probably makes it a bit harder to eat well and to be active during the day. The safety issues also ramp up the importance of keeping all medical issues under control.

Good luck with getting the next figure even lower.

Your right about the exercise and eating habits I don’t really get 3 meals a day like some I also eat very late at night after my shift so it’s not a great fasting figure but I work with it anyway exercise is a bit non existent to be honest but I’m out every morning to the shops so It helps a wee bit but not much time for anything else