Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope this link works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009387

Sounds like they just might not have thought it all through yet. Whadya think? :(

Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated.
Gave it a listen on my PC. (For some reason it was a little glitchy on my iPad, Inspite of having a BBC I player account.)

Hmmm, as good as my local pharmacy is.. (& mine is exceptional.) I just wanna pop in & pick up my repeat script when ready, say thanks & leave..
I already run the gauntlet with my DN & GP on the subject of statins. (I just happen to be a man of a certain age..)

Lol, "Statins in the water." I have no idea how that could be implemented or even work.. (I'm thinking along the lines of the "non-event" concept of orally taken insulin? Statins may not survive in a water supply.)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If a drug is diluted in drinking water there is no way to control the dosage some people drink large quantities of water others drink less so the dose you get depends on how much water you drink in a day.

The whole idea is insane.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If a drug is diluted in drinking water there is no way to control the dosage some people drink large quantities of water others drink less so the dose you get depends on how much water you drink in a day.

The whole idea is insane.

It could possibly lower the cholesterol in the central heating system? ;)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In the water supply?, blimey Mbaker, don't go giving them ideas!
(EDITED...others covered next sentence).

This has been seriously suggested, I believe in America. What's good is that the impressive Ivor Cummins has been presenting from the ground up, in places that ordinarily like to present contrary findings, and the audience is GP's. The more this happens the harder it will be to at least make "silly" law changes in the UK:

Reactions: Guzzler

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Dr Paul Mason in a lecture on Statins (Denver Low Carb series, I think, states that stains have a 25% side-effect rate. (which includes death and severe crippling muscle damage.)
A subscribing to zoeharcombe.com would reveal that statins in trials have not ever been statistically proven to show significant benefit for CVD. Yes, they may have some unintended anti-inflammation effect but nothing else.
And, though not proof of causation, from work by Zoe Harcombe (in 2008), use of WHO data from 192 countries shows that as the total cholesterol level in humans gets lower the rate in males and females of CVD and all causes of death increases.
Whilst in the good old days aspirin was made available over the counter before more stringent laws which may have banned it from being so, are UK citizens considered guinea pigs for some unclear cause? May as well put it in the drinking water?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There is a kind of twisted logic.

If statins are now cheap as chips (aaaahhhh.....chips!!!) then it makes financial sense to sell them OTC.
Takes them off the surgery budget and presumably saves the patient money because they are cheaper than the prescription charge.

Unfortunate that there is a question over the benefits from statins, though.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a kind of twisted logic.

If statins are now cheap as chips (aaaahhhh.....chips!!!) then it makes financial sense to sell them OTC.
Takes them off the surgery budget and presumably saves the patient money because they are cheaper than the prescription charge.

Unfortunate that there is a question over the benefits from statins, though.
No logic involved. The reason they want to make them OTC is to reach a wider audience (ker-ching). Ignore the (non) science behind them and just go with the consensus view.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No logic involved. The reason they want to make them OTC is to reach a wider audience (ker-ching). Ignore the (non) science behind them and just go with the consensus view.
I have a suspicion that they are aiming at the ‘worried well’ who are perfectly healthy but listen to the hype from medics that statins are good for them so they will be able to buy them over the counter just like vitamins and flu jabs etc.

Reactions: Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If these are otc this is not as bad as it seems, as one would have to actively choose to take them. If they were in the water supply then for me this would be a legally challengable action.

It is simple but hard with the otc move - somehow on a shoestring budget "we" need to have the views of Aseem Malhotra front and centre, as a counter balance to statins becoming sweets.
Many will die. Its dangerous not to hv some fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

I have a suspicion that they are aiming at the ‘worried well’ who are perfectly healthy but listen to the hype from medics that statins are good for them so they will be able to buy them over the counter just like vitamins and flu jabs etc.

Bingo. And next-up will be over-the-counter Metformin. Apparently modern humans have a built-in statin and Metformin deficiency. Everyone should be popping them like Smarties. They'll be selling them both as double-packs in Tesco before long :shifty:

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The benefit of statins is not that they lower cholesterol, but that they can reduce vascular inflammation and stabilize soft plaques which are vulnerable to rupture and clot formation. Unfortunately, all the focus is on cholesterol.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The benefit of statins is not that they lower cholesterol, but that they can reduce vascular inflammation and stabilize soft plaques which are vulnerable to rupture and clot formation. Unfortunately, all the focus is on cholesterol.
And the downsides? CoQ10 depletion, Mevalonate interuption, lowered immune responses etc etc And that is apart from emerging evidence linking low total cholesterol to dementia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers. There are the sometimes devastating results of downstream side effects, too.

Risk to Benefit ratio , all day long.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
(EDITED...others covered next sentence).

This has been seriously suggested, I believe in America. What's good is that the impressive Ivor Cummins has been presenting from the ground up, in places that ordinarily like to present contrary findings, and the audience is GP's. The more this happens the harder it will be to at least make "silly" law changes in the UK:

I really liked this Ivor Cummings talk and would like to bookmark it on my computer. Please could you post a link so I could save it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really liked this Ivor Cummings talk and would like to bookmark it on my computer. Please could you post a link so I could save it.

Hi,

If you click on the arrow top right panel of a YouTube post that says "share." (Centred in the screenshot below.)

image.png

You will get the link address which can be highlighted, copied & saved?

image.png

Hope this helps..