lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi.

I am trialling the freestyle libre, the first one I applied with my nurse present, the second one i applied the days ago. It hurt after, but I assumed it was just because it's trauma i suppose.

Am I ok leaving it on? Readings seem ok, still aches a bit.

IMG-20190204-WA0005~2.jpeg
IMG-20190204-WA0003~2.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If the readings are good, I'd leave it on, unless it starts to feel like you have an infection or such going on. Looks like a bruise to me, it happens sometimes when injecting as well if you hit a small blood vessel. A bruise won't heal quicker if you take it off so you might as well use it.

Reactions: lcarter

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a mark on my arm when I removed my first sensor one week ago. It takes some force to pull out......wow I might need forceps next time! I have decided to place some baby oil on the dressing around the sensor, to see if that makes it easier to remove and prevent the red mark on my skin. The good news is, I did not bruise but my skin was red but not painful.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi, I have known a number of people who have had trauma from hitting a little blood vessel. Darn things seem to be all over our bodies! Not easy to see them either, unless you have varicose veins. I also “knew” some friends who were suffering with the problem of removing their CGM sensor or the cannula from their pump. Libre sensors in particular have some pretty strong adhesive.
HOWEVER....
For those of us in the diabetes fraternity who are also unlucky enough to have to wear a Colostomy bag, we know ALL about adhesive and what it does to your skin. Unlike diabetics, we cannot rotate our site. Our bags have to go in the same place every day.
But there IS a really great product that myself and my fellow Colostomates use to release adhesive and it also works absolutely perfectly for removing Libre sensors.
It is called APPEEL from a company called Clinimed. It comes in a small spray can and it is not only available on prescription, you can also get a can as a free sample by contacting Clinimed on their website. A few puffs and off it pops! No pulling, no pain and no adhesive residue afterwards either. Win-Win

Po girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Well I got my Libre yesterday and DSN put sensor on inside if my forearm for me as I suggested, however it ached and hurt if touched for a while after. I was still sore today and two corners of the sticky surround were going red?
I was advised by her to remove and try another perhaps around the side to read of the arm.
OMG - Yes the use of the word Limpet was definitely it!! The tape perked back of my tender skin but there was no way the sensor was letting go of my skin.
It was like superglue and in the end I had to grit my teeth and pull it sideways - hard!
It bled a little and stung and I think it's going to bruise. Not a great experience for the first one, and as you can imagine I'm very hesitant to apply another - hence why I'm writing this looking for others advice and reassurance?
I can see similar problems people are having, but I also have Fibromyalgia and the top of my arms hurt to the fingertip touch so putting a patch to the side is not really appealing?
I've loved one day of the Libre and don't want to give up - Can anyone help with ideas?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
Well I got my Libre yesterday and DSN put sensor on inside if my forearm for me as I suggested, however it ached and hurt if touched for a while after. I was still sore today and two corners of the sticky surround were going red?
I was advised by her to remove and try another perhaps around the side to read of the arm.
OMG - Yes the use of the word Limpet was definitely it!! The tape perked back of my tender skin but there was no way the sensor was letting go of my skin.
It was like superglue and in the end I had to grit my teeth and pull it sideways - hard!
It bled a little and stung and I think it's going to bruise. Not a great experience for the first one, and as you can imagine I'm very hesitant to apply another - hence why I'm writing this looking for others advice and reassurance?
I can see similar problems people are having, but I also have Fibromyalgia and the top of my arms hurt to the fingertip touch so putting a patch to the side is not really appealing?
I've loved one day of the Libre and don't want to give up - Can anyone help with ideas?
I wear mine on my upper chest. Often visible (but I don’t care) but surprisingly out of the way as far as knocking it is concerned. Current one is bruised, I hit a blood vessel with it - but as they say, “bleeders make better readers” - it’s the most accurate one I’ve had in a while. Baby oil or olive oil to soak it off :)

Shortee85

I actually bruise and Bleed sometimes when I put on my new sensor. The doctor told me this is normal and unless I keep bleeding that I do not need to remove the sensor.

For removing the senor, I actually use Olive Oil. If you put olive oil on a cotton ball and rub at the area around the senor eventually you will get a section that will give and then you just keep rubbing and the senor will slowly give way till it finally comes off. You will need to put more oil on the cotton ball and sometimes use more than one. I have found this is the easiest and cheapest option since you already have this in your house for cooking.

I only need to do this though if I have to take my sensor off in the first week of having it on. By the second week I have to wear a sticker over my sensor to keep it from falling off.