Simple, Comfort Food Recipes

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my revised Keto version of the classic comfort food, creamy tuna casserole. This is done using a skillet, stove-top. There is no precise measurement (because I don't do measurements). :)

Ingredients:

Onions, chopped
garlic
mushrooms, sliced
cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized pieces or florets
Canned tuna
butter or canola oil (or both)
homo milk
cream
Grated soft cheeses like swiss, or havarti, or cheddar (optional)
dill (optional)
onion or chicken soup powder (optional)
Parmessan cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

1. Saute' onions in butter/oil until golden. Add garlic, and cook some more until garlic is golden and onions are lightly browned.

2. Add mushrooms and cauliflower. Cook and stir until cauliflower are a bit transparent, scarping off browned bits in the pan (there will be juices from the mushroom and cauliflower). These browned stuff from the pan will add to its flavor.

3. Add your tuna, including juice from the can. Stir it around for about a minute or two.

4. Add approx 1/2 cup homo milk, and soup powder and dill (if you're using any), bring to mild boil. Lower heat. Add more milk if you want it really saucy.

(note: if the food has already enough liquid from the veggies and the tuna, you can omit the homo milk)

5. Add approx 1 cup cream, and stir to mix. The cream should help thicken the sauce.
Add some more if it's not thick enough to your liking.

6. Top with a dollop of sour cream and/or grated Parmessan cheese

Note: you can substitute canned tuna with fresh seafood, and/or shrimps.

If you have recipes, please don't hesitate to share them.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is my revised Keto version of the classic comfort food, creamy tuna casserole. This is done using a skillet, stove-top. There is no precise measurement (because I don't do measurements). :)

Ingredients:

Onions, chopped
garlic
mushrooms, sliced
cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized pieces or florets
Canned tuna
butter or canola oil (or both)
homo milk
cream
Grated soft cheeses like swiss, or havarti, or cheddar (optional)
dill (optional)
onion or chicken soup powder (optional)
Parmessan cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

1. Saute' onions in butter/oil until golden. Add garlic, and cook some more until garlic is golden and onions are lightly browned.

2. Add mushrooms and cauliflower. Cook and stir until cauliflower are a bit transparent, scarping off browned bits in the pan (there will be juices from the mushroom and cauliflower). These browned stuff from the pan will add to its flavor.

3. Add your tuna, including juice from the can. Stir it around for about a minute or two.

4. Add approx 1/2 cup homo milk, and soup powder and dill (if you're using any), bring to mild boil. Lower heat. Add more milk if you want it really saucy.

(note: if the food has already enough liquid from the veggies and the tuna, you can omit the homo milk)

5. Add approx 1 cup cream, and stir to mix. The cream should help thicken the sauce.
Add some more if it's not thick enough to your liking.

6. Top with a dollop of sour cream and/or grated Parmessan cheese

Note: you can substitute canned tuna with fresh seafood, and/or shrimps.

If you have recipes, please don't hesitate to share them.

Hi, that sounds like a lovely winter warmer and I am looking forward to making it.
Thank you :hungry::)

Reactions: angustia

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's another winter pleaser.....

CABBAGE and TOMATOES (with meat of your choice)

Ingredients

Flat cabbage, roughly cut in big chunks, core removed (a variety of cabbage I get at WalMart.
I assume it's for making cabbage rolls. I like its texture, and it really cooks fast) You can use regular cabbage.

Can of whole plum tomatoes (squished by hand), or diced tomatoes
ground chicken or pork (or any meat, including meatballs)
onions
garlic
curly or Italian parsley
oil
Salt and spices like Italian seasonings, or oregano, or basil
Grated cheese (Italian blend, or any cheese that easily melt)
Sour cream
Parmessan
Big pot with lid, for easy stirring

1. Saute onions and garlic in oil until lighly golden. Add tomatoes, including the juice. Bring to boil and let cook for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and spices.

2. Add raw meat and stir to spread around, followed by the cabbage. (if you're using cooked meat or left overs, add it at the end of cooking just so long enough to heat it through. You don't want overcooked meat. Just do the cabbage.). Stir. Cover.

3. After a couple of minutes, the cabbage at the bottom would've wilted, so stir it up (for even cooking of the cabbages), and cover again. Cook the cabbage until it's done to your liking. I find that with flat cabbage, it takes only about 10 or so minutes to cook (for my preference). ***add the cooked meat when cabbage is almost done.

4. When the cabbage is done, add the parsley, and stir to wilt. Remove from heat.

To serve: Put some in a bowl. Add the grated cheese, then top it with more cabbage mixture. The heat should melt the cheese.

Top it with a scoop of sour cream and grated parmessan.

Make it fancy by topping it with browned sliced pan-fried mushrooms, and using parmigiana regiano. Enjoy!

Reactions: Speedbird

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A simple all-natural low-carb dessert:

1/2 cup frozen blueberries I think freezing blueberries make them sweeter - or is it just my imagination?

mix it with 1/3 cup Greek yogurt. If you find it too thick, add a little cream or milk to it. I eat this while the berries are still frozen. But you can thaw the berries and even squish some to mix it in.

Sometimes I use cottage cheese instead of yogurt.

Note: grated lemon or lime zest, can bring this to new heights.
I'm thinking of adding some melted cream cheese too.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was inspired by a US Military popular dish which they call the "SOS." That stands for, "**** on a shingle!"
I used to have this for breakfast at a cafeteria in the base, but it's usually served piled on toasts, or hash browns.

This recipe has lots of room for improvement, like adding and browning chopped onions, using sausage meat instead, etc..

This is how it looks:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/61285/creamed-beef-for-sos/

CREAMED BEEF ON CAULIFLOWER

1 lb ground beef
garlic powder
black pepper
salt
oil
1 cup whole milk
Heavy cream for thickening
Cauliflower, either cliced as steaks or cut into florets, cooked (to your liking). Drained well.
2 cubes chicken bouillion, or 2 tbps soup powder (optional)
2 tbps Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 tbsp. sweetener (optional)
and
Tabasco (is optional)….but it's a must-have for me!

1. Brown beef in a skillet with all spices (except for the cream). Leave the meat fat in! Don't drain.
2. Add milk and let simmer for about 5 minutes to let the beef flavor come out.
3. Add enough cream to thicken.
4. Adjust your seasonings to your liking.
5. Pile on top of cauliflower, and top with tabasco sauce.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fave in our home, which is also diabetic-friendly, just make sure you don't sprinkle your chicken with the brown sugar, or better put yours on a separate baking pan. Also, mind your prunes.
They're high in carbs. I'm making this for tomorrow's supper.

This old recipe comes from the Silver Palate. Instead of whole chicken, I use chicken thighs.

Chicken Marbella
16 pieces, 10 or more portions

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 chickens (2 1/2 pounds each), quartered
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley or fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Directions:
1. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, prunes, olives, capers and juice, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Arrange the chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon the marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the brown sugar and pour the white wine around them.
4. Bake, basting frequently with the pan juices, until the thigh pieces yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice when pricked with a fork, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
5. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, prunes, olives, and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of the pan juices and sprinkle generously with the parsley or cilantro. Pass the remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.

Note: To serve Chicken Marbella cold, cool to room temperature in the cooking juices before transferring the pieces to a serving platter. If the chicken has been covered and refrigerated, reheat it in the juices, then allow it to come to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of the reserved juice over the chicken.

http://www.silverpalate.com/recipe/store-favorites/chicken-marbella

-------------------

I make an aioli sauce for dipping:

Crushed fresh garlic mixed in with mayonaise, sour cream (or plain yogurt) and salt.
Add a bit of table cream or milk if you don't want it too thick.

Another kind of dipping sauce that I use is mixing mayonnaise and sour cream with tabasco sauce.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The evolving Tabouleh. It's now seems to have become a staple dish for me, making enough to last a week. It's great as a side-dish. It has evolved in such a way that I've tweaked the ingredients, and now, it also includes avocado.

TABOULEH

1/2 cup bulgur wheat soaked for at least half hour, in juice of 2 large lemons, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, garlic powder (will use crushed fresh garlic next time) and salt.

1 bunch curly parsley (chopped)
baby tomatoes (whole or halved)
baby cucumbers, sliced
Sweet red peppers, diced
Sweet onions, chopped
Avocado, peeled and diced

Mix everything together.

Note: I've found out that potatoes and sweet potatoes don't give me any spikes. Next time, I'll add sweet potatoes (diced, and pan fried or roasted).

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cuban Picadillo also add raisins , but I have eliminated it from my version. To substitute the sweetness of raisins,
I used diced sweet potato instead, which can be optional. Use a large skillet or pan.

PICADILLO (Cuban-style)

2 lbs Ground beef

3 cups diced sweet potatoes (pan fried until semi-soft, and set aside), reserve the oil in that same pan
Note: pan frying it will prevent the sweet potatoes from turning into mush.

Onions
crushed garlic
bell pepper, diced (optional)
green or black oives (I used diced black olives)
2 cups tomato juice
dark soya sauce
salt, oregano, black pepper to taste

1. Saute garlic and onions until golden in the same pan from which sweet potatoes were fried.

2. Add bell pepper and the beef, and cook until it is browned.

3. Add the rest of ingredients and cook until liquid is almost gone.

Serve on boiled, and drained boiled cauliflower, or sautéed daikon raddish.
Can top it with a fried egg.
This is also excellent as an omelette filling.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PICADILLO MEATBALLS and CABBAGE SOUP

Mix ground beef (or sausage meat), onions, crushed garlic (or powder), grated sweet potatoes, roughly chopped black olives, sweet peppers, an egg, about 1/4 cup lemon juice, oregano, salt, black pepper and soya sauce.

Shape into balls (any size you want), and let sit for half an hour. (This can be prepped ahead)!

1. Brown meatballs in the oven (350*). Set aside.

2. In a large soup pan, saute onions and garlic, and sliced celery in olive oil.

3. Add 1 can squished tomatoes, and cook it for about a minute.

4 Add shredded or chopped cabbage, and cook - stirring it around to wilt it.

5. Add tomato juice, and the meatballs. Add hot pepper flakes if you want it spicy hot!
Bring to boil, and let simmer. Adjust the taste with seasonings. Add water if you find it too tomatoey.
Use a bit of sweetener if you find it too sour for your taste.

6. Cook until cabbage is done to your liking. Add chopped parsley. Remove from heat.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Last edited:

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished preparing these for my supply this week, and I'd like to share them:

DIPS that use RAW GARLIC

AIOLI

3 cloves of raw garlic ( peeled, sliced and crushed, or pounded with pestle and mortar) with 1/3 tsp salt
1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Balkan yogurt

Mix well and let sit for at least an hour before using.
Great as condiment with grilled or roast meat, or dip for pan fried zucchini, steamed asparagus etc..,

SPINACH DIP

1 cup chopped frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed - taking out as much liquid as you can)
2 - 3 cloves of raw garlic ( peeled, sliced and crushed, or pounded with pestle and mortar)
1/2 pack cream cheese (softened in the microwave for easy mixing)
2 tbps Onion soup mix powder (I use Lipton)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Balkan yogurt

Mix well and let sit for at least an hour before using.
Great as dip for pork rinds, and celery sticks or any other crudites

GARLIC -VINEGAR

2 - 3 cloves of raw garlic ( peeled, sliced and crushed, or pounded with pestle and mortar)
1 cup vinegar
black pepper and salt to taste
Hot pepper flakes, or fresh hot peppers like jalapeno (chopped) - optional

Mix well and keep in glass or non-corrosive container.
Great dip for pork rinds, or to sprinkle over pan-fried cauliflower

Garlic could benefit diabetes management, according to study
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-management,-according-to-study-94312684.html

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HOT and SPICY CHICKEN SOUP

Chicken drumsticks and/or thighs (bone-in)
Daikon raddish (also known as lobok, Asian raddish) - sliced in 1 inch chunks
Bokchoy and/or napa cabbage (washed)
Garlic (crushed)
Onions (sliced)
Celery (optional, chopped)
1 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
hot pepper flakes
cooking oil
1 large tomato (diced)
1 cup tomato juice (optional)
Enough water to cover chicken

Saute' garlic, onions and celery in oil until onions are transluscent. Add the diced tomato and salt, cook until sort of mushy.
Add the chicken, black pepper and hot pepper flakes, stir around for a couple of minutes.
Add the raddish, tomato juice and enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes. Check the raddish to see if they're soft enough to your liking. Simmer the soup for another 15 minutes.
Add the bokchoy and napa cabbage. Cover and bring to boil.
Turn off heat, but leave the cover of the pot on for a few minutes.
This is good on cold nights!

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copy-Cat Haagen Daaz COFFEE Ice Cream

* These are the ingredients I used, but you can tweak or change them according to your own preference. I don't have an ice cream maker.

Beat 4 egg yolks and 1/2 tsp vanilla, until they're creamy, in a mixing bowl large enough to accommodate all the ingredients for this recipe.

In the meantime, heat on medium low approximately 1 cup whole milk, 2 cups table cream, and about 1 cup whipping cream.
Add 5 tbsp. Nescafe Instant Coffee (decaf), and 1 cup Splenda. Add a pinch of salt (to enhance the flavor).
Mix until they're dissolved. Remove the pot from heat, stirring it so to lessen the heat (if it's too hot).

Slowly add a bit to the creamed egg yolks (stirring the yolks while you do this so you don't end up with scrambled eggs).
Add the rest of the milk mixture. Taste, and adjust it to your liking.

Note: a recipe I saw from a site includes taking this mixture out of the freezer and beating it every half hour until she got the consistency of real ice cream.

I poured my version into individual serving containers that can go in the freezer. Let it sit for a few minutes in room temperature before eating.

Note: Next time I'll be using regular Nescafe Instant Coffee (not decaf).
I think the regular coffee has more flavor than the decaf. I'll have to compare.
I used brewed coffee way back - it doesn't have the similar taste to Haagen Daaz.
Have not used other instant coffee brand, so I'm only familiar with Nescafe.

Last edited:

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CREAMY SKILLET CHICKEN CAPRESE

Marinate uniformly diced chicken breast in salt, garlic powder, black pepper, some oregano, a little balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil.

Have the other ingredients ready:

Baby tomatoes (I left mine whole)
Chopped onions
crushed garlic
pitted black olives (whole or sliced)
Sweet red pepper, sliced
Grated cheese (Italian blend)
1/2 cup marinara or pasta sauce (I used Garden Select)
1/2 cup cream
Salt to taste

blanched broccoli (optional) or,
Diced or sliced zucchini (optional) or,
blanched and drained well Cauliflower florets (optional), or
diced eggplant, half cooked either roasted, or pan-fried (optional)

1. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken until they're half done.
That means, they're still a little pink inside. Remove from the skillet. This procedure is optional.
You can skip this and instead, cook the chicken on step #3.

2. In the same skillet (add a little oil if needed), saute garlic and onions until the onions are translucent.
Add the peppers, baby tomatoes and olives, and any optional vegetables you want to add - and saute for about 3 - 5 minutes.

3. Add the marinara sauce and cream, and stir around to coat everything in the skillet.
Add the chicken and stir it in. Don't let the chicken in it too long, you don't want it to get overcooked.

4. Sprinkle lots of grated cheese on top. Cover. Let simmer for a minute to melt the cheese.
Remove from heat. The chicken will continue cooking from the heat in the skillet.
Plate and serve right away.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For anyone else confused by 'homo milk' I found this article, which explains it pretty clearly
https://www.narcity.com/life/it-mig...hilariously-confused-about-canadian-homo-milk

After a brief trivial diversion contemplating how you might collect it in commercial quantities, I thought I might add that to be truly low carbohydrate you should perhaps leave out the homo(genised) milk entirely and use a combination of water, stock and double cream to ensure the correct consistency of the sauce..

Reactions: angustia

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A simple all-natural low-carb dessert:

1/2 cup frozen blueberries I think freezing blueberries make them sweeter - or is it just my imagination?

mix it with 1/3 cup Greek yogurt. If you find it too thick, add a little cream or milk to it. I eat this while the berries are still frozen. But you can thaw the berries and even squish some to mix it in.

Sometimes I use cottage cheese instead of yogurt.

Note: grated lemon or lime zest, can bring this to new heights.
I'm thinking of adding some melted cream cheese too.
For 18 months, my lunch was 2.25 CUPS of high fat yogurt w/ 1/2 cup berries. :) I've recently admitted it's too carby for my lunches, but your post made me realize I can keep it as an occasional dessert. :) Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to avoid the foods I love forever.