1980’s TV Soaps & Drama - Low-fat Brainwashing Begins

M

Member496333

I’ve recently been going through some old c.1980 TV shows. Very interesting and very disturbing to see the beginning of the low-fat brainwashing era take hold. Animal “grease” being vilified and replaced with “fibre”. Scripts often castigating characters for continuing to eat bacon & eggs. A heart attack on a plate etc. It’s actually fascinating. Although the shows are fictional, it’s a chilling snapshot in time of how our diets were influenced by fake science and peer pressure. If only they knew where we would end up.

Anyway, just an observation. I don’t expect many to be particularly interested :D

M

Member496333

I'm not blaming the TV shows for anything. My point is that they are an interesting insight into how public opinion was changing around that time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not blaming the TV shows for anything. My point is that they are an interesting insight into how public opinion was changing around that time.

Soaps tend to reflect "life" to a degree. So the scripting may have been inspired by & taken off the "street?" Then put onto this platform..

Did we ever find out who shot JR.?

Talking of "fake science." Some of the cast from Eastenders did progress to Doctor Who... ;)

M

Member496333

Soaps tend to reflect "life" to a degree. So the scripting may have been inspired by & taken off the "street?" Then put onto this platform..

Indeed. That's pretty much the extent of my observations. The shows reflect what was happening in that era. I guess at the same time they helped fuel the flames, but that wasn't really the salient point of the topic.

PS. I think it was Kristen who shot J.R. :pompous:

Reactions: Jaylee

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently been going through some old c.1980 TV shows. Very interesting and very disturbing to see the beginning of the low-fat brainwashing era take hold. Animal “grease” being vilified and replaced with “fibre”. Scripts often castigating characters for continuing to eat bacon & eggs. A heart attack on a plate etc. It’s actually fascinating. Although the shows are fictional, it’s a chilling snapshot in time of how our diets were influenced by fake science and peer pressure. If only they knew where we would end up.
There were many prejudices in the 80s considered irksome today. Makes me
Anyway, just an observation. I don’t expect many to be particularly interested :D
One of many prejudices of the 80s found irksome today. What will we think about today's mind set in 40 years??

Reactions: Robbity

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Lots of old re-runs here and I have noticed it also. Crazy times, fashion sense seemed to be ridiculous, along with the give away time period hair cuts. :D

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

One of many prejudices of the 80s found irksome today. What will we think about today's mind set in 40 years??

It's not a prejudice. It's an observation of a period in history when dietary guidelines were being pushed onto the public for the first time. Reflected poignantly in the TV shows of the era. Lots of anti-fat evangelism, which at the time was a new phenomenon. Today's dietary mindset is the same as the one I have seen unfolding in these shows, and so far it hasn't worked out very well :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

1980’s TV Soaps & Drama - Low-fat Brainwashing Begins.
Now you're saying you are not blaming TV shows for anything !! :confused:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another addition to the blame list.

Have to agree with you.
Fats, Oils and grease clogged up sinks, drains and plumbing and they still do when poured down them, because build up occurs over time, so no wonder people were, are some still are, wary of consuming larger amounts of fats, oils and grease.
I still use lard and oils in cooking, as my parents did.

M

Member496333

1980’s TV Soaps & Drama - Low-fat Brainwashing Begins.
Now you're saying you are not blaming TV shows for anything !! :confused:

Yes. The thread title would have looked a bit silly if I'd put the entire first post in it. What I meant was that the TV shows reflect the beginning of the brain washing.

Anyway I'm not looking for an argument. It was a simple observation that I found fascinating.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I wish I could pop back to planet earth to have a nose about in 100 years time, that is, if this planet is still here :(

Reactions: JAT1 and Tophat1900
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes. The thread title would have looked a bit silly if I'd put the entire first post in it. What I meant was that the TV shows reflect the beginning of the brain washing.

Anyway I'm not looking for an argument. It was a simple observation that I found fascinating.

That's fine, it was my just my observation on your title, so who's arguing or starting one, not me ........................:angelic:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Except...

You could have avoided this misunderstanding if you had chosen to read the thread contents instead of picking holes in the title :facepalm:

Just my observation, there is no misunderstanding at all, as your thread title did made me look and I did read the contents, so sorry if you don't like it, but if I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not a prejudice. It's an observation of a period in history when dietary guidelines were being pushed onto the public for the first time. Reflected poignantly in the TV shows of the era. Lots of anti-fat evangelism, which at the time was a new phenomenon. Today's dietary mindset is the same as the one I have seen unfolding in these shows, and so far it hasn't worked out very well :D
I did not mean that your statement was prejudicial but that those times had their prejudices that got reflected in TV shows etc.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always disliked margarine, especially the gray stuff we used to mix yellow food dye into so that it would look a bit more like butter. I used to cut all the fat off my meat and now I gobble it up and enjoy the taste immensely !

Reactions: Member496333