What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didnt get a chance to post yesterday but if I can remember it went like this-
B: fried eggs on marmite toast ( Dr Almond flaxseed bread)
L:Ham salad, a very uninspiring choice that left me feeling cold and fed up having just spent all morning in muddy wet moorland, dog walking for an hour then waiting for AA to tow my car out of the mud. Felt like some comfort food so ham salad was a stupid decision. 30g Montezuma’s absolute black helped.
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-swedish-meatballs-in-gravy and a glass of red.
Played Articulate all evening with family. Mr C and I are undefeated.
@annabell1 sounds like you are juggling a lot of balls at the moment with meds, hope things improve. How was your baba ganoush ? I love it.
Hug for the car - you really should have a 4x4 now you are a country gal off into the wilds. I followed the link to the DD recipe - I have tasked the food fairy with getting around sour cream and cream cheese in gravy (creamed coconut block? - works in curries). Mr C is obviously a wonderful man for eating that. I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:***::yuck:Hi All
Have waited patiently all day for my BG to come down from 6.7 early morning.
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Note: no point in fasting as BG continues to rise all morning anyway.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs in egg cups, soldierless.
Supper: have just checked BG and it has come down to 5.5 at 18.00 so feel I can order Tandoori King Prawns and cauli Bhajee when boys pick up some t/a later.
You have to live a little, dontcha!
@DJC3 hug for getting stuck in the cold and wet moorland with I imagine a very muddy Dennis and then the cold lunch :yuck: Great restraint not raiding the choc or an early gino_O

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very long walk (22 miles) along various canals today. Resulted in large OMAD of bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions at Five Guys followed by a Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate. Switched to the 85% from the 70% yesterday and today. Yesterday BG barely moved. Has gone up quite a lot more today - suspecting they didn’t use full fat milk.

Almost asleep already - very little sleep yesterday as suddenly had cramps return after several weeks without them. Hopefully a long rest tonight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B=tea; L= leftover broccoli and mozzarella bake then CCB; Evening = wild Alaskan salmon fillet (280 gms) Milky's hallum fries, mushrooms and 2 tomatoes with tartare sauce. Food was fine - potential for #jointgate tomorrow but that's for another day. Allegedly 10k on exercise bike @ 65% and all ok so benchmark established and makes the package a little more to my liking. @Goonergal hug is for the cramp.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not eaten celeriac I look at it in the shops thinking what can I make with this but that's how far it goes

If you can tolerate celeriac, it might be worth trying. It is similar to white turnip, but I don't think it has quite as much carb in it. You can boil and mash it, bake with something quite damp (eg cream and butter), or, shredded, it can go into a salad. It's just something a bit different, not spectacular, but maybe worth a try, if you can take it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some more of the celeriac/cheese and cream mixture with a couple of fried eggs on top about 1.30 today. It is definitely better after keeping in the fridge overnight. The rest went into the freezer last night, along with all the remaining ragout. It also improved dramatically after a bit more cooking and the addition of some butter.

I thought I wouldn't want anything else today after that - it was quite filling - but had to go for a flu jab and we went to a charity shop, to deposit stuff this time, not buy anything new. Then Neil suggested getting a few things at the supermarket. So we were out and about for about 2 hours in all. Tea was definitely needed when we got back but about 7.30 I felt hungry so had some slices of Parma ham and, still hungry some RyVita about 8.30. I was on target until then but the RyVita must have put my carbs over the top. Should still be OK for calories. I wonder if I have been hungry because the celeriac is higher in carb than I had thought. Carbs do make me hungry usually. Might have to have a look at that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Cold meats, cheese and salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner at my parents: Cottage pie cooked by my Dad :) (he did my portion without potato, but cheese on top instead) with peas and broccoli followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid one as it was Saturday, seafood platter, several pots of the XXXX Gold goodness.
Dinner: Home cured, dry salted brisket, veggies, onion sauce / gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, low carb beer, water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the car - you really should have a 4x4 now you are a country gal off into the wilds. I followed the link to the DD recipe - I have tasked the food fairy with getting around sour cream and cream cheese in gravy (creamed coconut block? - works in curries). Mr C is obviously a wonderful man for eating that. I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) :angelic:

I didn’t really fancy the meatball dish when I first saw the recipe to be honest, but went with it anyway and it was fine. I think gravy is a slightly different thing in America. Daughter’s partner said they tasted just like the Ikea Swedish meatballs which she loved ( no horse meat in these though). Having said all that I doubt it’s a meal you’d enjoy much. Thanks for the hug, you’re right I need a 4x4

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:***::yuck:Hi All
Have waited patiently all day for my BG to come down from 6.7 early morning.
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Note: no point in fasting as BG continues to rise all morning anyway.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs in egg cups, soldierless.
Supper: have just checked BG and it has come down to 5.5 at 18.00 so feel I can order Tandoori King Prawns and cauli Bhajee when boys pick up some t/a later.
You have to live a little, dontcha!
@DJC3 hug for getting stuck in the cold and wet moorland with I imagine a very muddy Dennis and then the cold lunch :yuck: Great restraint not raiding the choc or an early gino_O
Thank you, and Hugs back for a day of higher than desired bg. I’ve had quite a few of those recently and struggled to come out of 6s at all - that’s why I’m attempting to follow the DD 5 week keto plan atm and fingers crossed it seems to be working. I think the fat content might be too high for you to tolerate though.
Hope the curry take away was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for the cramps @Goonergal I hope it was a one off and they are not back to plague you.
B: 2 boiled eggs and marmite soldiers ( Dr Almond flaxseed bread - forgot to buy halloumi)
Took Dennis to dog groomers so he’d be able to see properly again - such massive eyebrows, and so he’d be spruced up for Schnauzerfest tomorrow morning on Crantock beach. He came out looking so clean and fluffy and handsome.
L: Lo Dough wrap filled with tuna, mayo and a couple of cherry toms.
Went on a really muddy woodland walk, came home and had to Chuck Little Den straight in the shower to clean him off - he was a mud monster! Can’t believe he was the same smart fragrant dog who trotted out of the grooming salon a few hours earlier.
D: IP chilli with sour cream and grated cheese. 1 glass red.

D

Deleted member 308541

Omelette ingredients, bacon a optional extra.
Cage eggs. (3)
Mushrooms. (2 or 3)
Tomatoes. (n/a)
Shredded cheddar cheese. (80 g)
Pepper mix with extra chilli flakes, cloves. (Couple of good pepper grinds)
Salt to sprinkle over it when cooked. (( Good sprinkle)

lxpssEk.jpg

Edit: Just did a quick mental costing of the daily ingredients, it comes to a bit over $4.00 for the meal, the tomatoes were wild from the block.

Low carb high fat food is just as affordable as the other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal hug is for the cramp.
Hugs for the cramps @Goonergal I hope it was a one off and they are not back to plague you.

Thanks, both. Happy to report that despite not taking enough water with me for my walk (far more rural canals than usual yesterday), no cramps last night so looks like a weird, unexplained one off.

@DJC3 hope Dennis wows everyone at the Schnauzerfest.

Tipping down here so looks like some retail therapy interspersed with various coffee shops and eateries today.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo I’m with you re omelettes. I have them for supper twice a week either grated cheese with two chopped tomatoes (my favourite) or with whatever is lurking in the fridge often mushrooms, bacon, ham, green veg etc. Wonderful meal and kind to the BG. I am so glad I like eggs the most versatile food around.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Rachox very similar recipe to my nut granola. Had not thought of using chocolate flavouring to make it into a dessert topping.

12-10-19
no granola left, food processor has been out for two days but still unused - gardening is taking priority while we have decent weather. So breakfast was several large handfuls of nuts. Not at all the same flavourwise, but maybe reasonable facsimilie nutritionally? two cups of tea.
coffee with milk and cream
lunch. MrSlim had the "turkey" with mayonnaise and lambs lettuce in a large piece of baguette, i had vegetable soup, decided against dipping my modest portion of baguette, instead filled it with cheese and some lambs lettuce. Last of that from the garden as well. MrSlim had a pear, i had another handful of nuts. and more coffee with cream
tea
another handful of nuts
dinner, pork chop, redcabbage, carrot, turnips ( not something i am used to, or fond of)green beans from the freezer. MrSlim has potato, extra beans for me. He had icecream and cornets. I had two glasses of wine. He had one.
Feeling very full, must be all those nuts.

Millie74

What’s best low carb breakfast. If I have omelette for lunch and a curry or protein and veg for dinner, readings are fine. Struggling with breakfast. Greek yoghurt with ten raspberries can be 6.7 2 hr post meal, but can be 9.4 too. A big range. Also my old all bran breakfast comes out at 13 and 25g porridge 10

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox very similar recipe to my nut granola. Had not thought of using chocolate flavouring to make it into a dessert topping.

12-10-19
no granola left, food processor has been out for two days but still unused - gardening is taking priority while we have decent weather. So breakfast was several large handfuls of nuts. Not at all the same flavourwise, but maybe reasonable facsimilie nutritionally? two cups of tea.
coffee with milk and cream
lunch. MrSlim had the "turkey" with mayonnaise and lambs lettuce in a large piece of baguette, i had vegetable soup, decided against dipping my modest portion of baguette, instead filled it with cheese and some lambs lettuce. Last of that from the garden as well. MrSlim had a pear, i had another handful of nuts. and more coffee with cream
tea
another handful of nuts
dinner, pork chop, redcabbage, carrot, turnips ( not something i am used to, or fond of)green beans from the freezer. MrSlim has potato, extra beans for me. He had icecream and cornets. I had two glasses of wine. He had one.
Feeling very full, must be all those nuts.
Hope Mr Slim is recovering well - hope he is keeping off the tools or at least not getting caught.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s best low carb breakfast. If I have omelette for lunch and a curry or protein and veg for dinner, readings are fine. Struggling with breakfast. Greek yoghurt with ten raspberries can be 6.7 2 hr post meal, but can be 9.4 too. A big range. Also my old all bran breakfast comes out at 13 and 25g porridge 10
What is your FBG like before those breakfasts, if differential of two or less 2 hours later I dont worry.
Of course some on here dont actually eat breakfast and just have tea or coffee but I like to have a slice of LivLife (3.8g carbs) with butter as it feels right and if I have nothing at all my BG continues to rise all morning. BUT we are all different and what works for one doesnt necessarily work for another. Best wishes.

Reactions: maglil55

Millie74

What is your FBG like before those breakfasts, if differential of two or less 2 hours later I dont worry.
Of course some on here dont actually eat breakfast and just have tea or coffee but I like to have a slice of LivLife (3.8g carbs) with butter as it feels right and if I have nothing at all my BG continues to rise all morning. BUT we are all different and what works for one doesnt necessarily work for another. Best wishes.
Thank you. Well if it is 7 fasting. Is more likely to be 9.4 after breakfast. If it is 5 is often a 7/8 on the greek yoghurt. Always high regardless on porridge and all bran, which is a shame as feel better for the fibre and substance with these on 2000mg of metformin. Will look for the bread you mention. Where do I buy it?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
...I wonder if I have been hungry because the celeriac is higher in carb than I had thought. Carbs do make me hungry usually. Might have to have a look at that.

Follow up to yesterday's post - I checked and celeriac comes in at about 2 g per 100 g - not bad but only slightly less than turnip, which comes in at about 2.4 g per 100 g. BG last night was 10.9 - probably due to the RyVita but it wouldn't be due to higher carbs earlier in the day. Must have been something else that made me very hungry. Would a flu jab do that? Only apparent effect so far is a very sore arm.