stress

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am facing a really stressful situation at work caused by my fault- so that doesn't help. I am not sleeping very well and that together with the gut wrenching feeling of stress has made my blood sugar levels rise.

I am feeling a lot sorry for myself and tonight (in Australia) could really do with some chocolate to help me relax and potentially get to sleep. Still haven't got the taste for the 85% dark chocolate- I can now stomach it but it certainly doesn't help me relax. I'm having a gin and tonic with diet Tomic water that doesn't raise my levels but to be honest while it sort of helps me relax it doesn't fill the hole from a good old sugar hit. Are there any other carb addicts- or anyone with suggestions about how to relax. I suffer from anxiety anyway and as soon as I try to sleep my mind goes into hyperdrive worrying about this situation. I have felt sick to my stomach for the last 4 days and it will be a couple of days before I can talk to my boss about it.

Just looking for some ideas- yeah and maybe a bit of sympathy.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @VashtiB

Stress in any form isn’t good, although we are conditioned for stress carrying that with you for so many days is particularly hard. My approach is to look at ways of dealing with the stress so can you exercise maybe a long walk or try some meditation - it’s all too easy to reach for the bar of choc but trying alternative ways to manage the stress will help you cope better, hope this resolves itself soon for you.

Reactions: urbanracer

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @VashtiB and sorry to hear about the stress. Have a hug and some sympathy.

I’ve found that walking is a great way to de-stress, particularly after a difficult day at work. A long walk through a park or somewhere else scenic and I can literally feel the stress melting away. Would highly recommend. Added benefit is the physical effort aids sleep too, so it’s a virtuous circle.