Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB this is the recipe ... that we will be having tonight (with pollock instead of cod)...
There’s no need for a pointed lid. Unless you want one.

Fish Tagine

Ingredients

For the tagine
oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 tbsp harissa paste
1 cinnamon stick
200g tin chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock, made with ½ stock cube
50g dried apricots, sliced
2 x skinless cod fillets, cut into large chunks
6 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

For the couscous
140g couscous
200ml hot vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
Zest and juice of ½ lemon

Method

1. Heat the oil in a non-stick, lidded frying pan. Add the onion and peppers and fry for 5 minutes until softened, adding a splash of water if necessary to prevent them burning. Add the garlic and harissa paste, then cook for 2-3 minutes.

2. Stir in the cinnamon, tomatoes, stock and apricots. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Season.

3. Stir in the cod, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until the fish is just cooked. Discard the cinnamon stick and scatter over the coriander.

4. Meanwhile, put the couscous in a heatproof bowl, pour over the stock and leave to stand for 5 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff up the grains with a fork and stir in the lemon zest and juice.

5. Serve the couscous topped with the tagine.
Thanks @Kim Possible Looks magic, like the harissa but not sure about the apricots

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I know what you mean about apricots but there aren't that many in the recipe and, if you slice them, they just add a slight sweetness to the flavour without being over-powering.
Any idea of the carbs in the dish per portion? @Kim Possible
Last night I made spicy prawns and coriander. Magic, a recipe from Sameen Rushdie

Last edited:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, slept beautifully, but had a high of 16 and woke with a low of 2.9. I did do a correction, but it was still a great sleep.

That often seems to happen. Anyway, all is fine now, arm is getting slightly achy after flu jab, I wonder if the high was a result of that, I don't know my blood sugar has been doing weird things recently, and I've been quite insulin sensitive, with too many hypos, for a few days. Maybe that period is over now, I'm working on the assumption it is, but will find out soon enough.

Have a good day, everyone.

Reactions: SueJB and karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning lovelies, just catching up a bit before I head off to a training session at the ambo station - we’ve got our practical exams at uni next week and they’ve kindly offered to let us play with the toys over there. Bloods seem relatively settled after the bonkersness of the last couple of weeks, the beauty of a pump is that you can fiddle with settings ad infinitum. Love it. Just chilling with a coffee and the Wales game before heading round the corner to the station. Have a good one x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Late mornin’ everyone. Tagine sounds yum @Kim Possible, mouth watering. We had an easy old-fashioned brunch last night, chicken sausages, baked beans, corn on the cob, and a shroom, onion, courgette mix. Took me back, memories of the fill ups of yesteryear when there used to be chips and eggs with it too after a long family walk,
If disaster strikes I’ll be looking out for the paramedic with the purple beard and the dye-reaction rash.
Brian hates having pills too, @Antje700. The vet gave us a contraption to put them down his throat that made it even worse. Cheese and pate in the microwave if he needs any more.
Hope the next long work day has more food in it @MeiChanski. I couldn’t have got through the 12 hour days I used to do without a good 3 meals, and I tried to go for a good walk, or, even better, have a swim at the local pool in the bit of break that happened in the afternoon. The swim was a double-edged benefit though as I sometimes gained too much energy and too much of an endorphin powered cheerfulness. Made it harder to sleep when I got home.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@MeiChanski - when I’m on a 12 hour shift I keep energy levels up with nuts, olives, cheese, vegan quorn stuff: all ambient-ish things you can grab and shovel in your face quickly when you get a minute. Hard boiled eggs are good too. If you can’t rely on being able to sit down for a meal, it’s a good idea to have a stash of grazing goodies. Even a jar of peanut butter and a spoon! If it’s low in carbs you don’t need to worry about dosing for it, don’t need to panic if you don’t get time to eat it all, and don’t need to worry about huge doses of insulin sloshing around and potentially making you low. Works for me, anyway: just needs a little forethought.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if I’m too honest or picky, but for VIP night we worked the same 9-12hours and we ate what the guests ate but it was cold. I was expecting at least some warm rice for us and not guest food. The only veggie item was fried dumplings and veggie sticks. I’m noy complaining because things could be worse but the arrangement could have been a bit better. Even they are aware that I have type 1 diabetes, I wasn’t allowed food when I asked. So now I realised I have to pack food and I can’t rely on my own work place for food. I guess with nuts and things I can share among my veggie friends.

Reactions: Alison54321

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my eyes, you can’t keep your army afloat if you are not feeding them and expecting them to work long hours. Does a motivational speech keep us going with a hungry stomach? Not so much. I think there was another person on my team who was so hungry that he picked up customers plates and ate what was left off it. Instead of scraping it into the bin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In my eyes, you can’t keep your army afloat if you are not feeding them and expecting them to work long hours.
Is it usual in the UK for emplyers to provide their employees with food? In the Netherlands most jobs expect you to bring or buy your own food, although restaurants may have a staff meal before opening or after closing to customers.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just because it’s a restaurant doesn’t mean they have to feed you... I’ve never expected any employer to feed me! Maybe if you are ACTUALLY in the army, but your own food is your responsibility. The only jobs that have provided me with food was when I worked in a boarding school and was living on site.

Reactions: ert

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Last night, i guesstimate 45g carbs for quite a large portion (half the tajine recipe and 60g dry couscous). My bg stayed in the 5s and 6s.
I am sure you could calculate more accurately if you broke down all the ingredients.
Thanks @Kim Possible I'll just guess too, since I'm not a big fan of couscous, it'll probably be a smaller serving. Probably won't be until the weekend to try it as we've got so much planned already

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hello peeps
Wet wet wet up here
Hope everyone is keeping well

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The best place I did an occasional stint at was Floyd’s Bistro in Bristol, back in the 70s. At the end of the shift the chef would turn the leftover unused food into a spectacular meal. He sang opera while he did it! It’s the only place I’ve worked where there was food, but if we stayed for the chef’s wonders we ended up leaving at about 1.00 am. I’ve usually taken my
Own food to work unless there’s a reasonable canteen, where I’ve had to buy it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just had a visit from older daughter, son out-law and the puppy. Brian was not impressed but the puppy had a great time. Amazingly no rain yet today. Ah, spoke too soon, lifts head from screen and see the drops have started falling.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if I’m too honest or picky, but for VIP night we worked the same 9-12hours and we ate what the guests ate but it was cold. I was expecting at least some warm rice for us and not guest food. The only veggie item was fried dumplings and veggie sticks. I’m noy complaining because things could be worse but the arrangement could have been a bit better. Even they are aware that I have type 1 diabetes, I wasn’t allowed food when I asked. So now I realised I have to pack food and I can’t rely on my own work place for food. I guess with nuts and things I can share among my veggie friends.

Where I currently work there is a subsidised canteen.
Most other places, you bring yer own. Or go out & forage for it during a break.

I've worked as a film exta in the past & food has been provided by a mobile catering company? Providing this seated area on busses to dine..? One bus is only reserved for principle actors & crew.
The odd thing is, "extras" cut lose for breaks earlier than the everyone else. But can't go near the the canteen or the "special" dining area till the "stars" have been catered for..
One had to be carful not to get food on the costume. Which was quite funny considering period costume drama's "street urchin" made up to look like they live rough...
Another job I had was on a navy ship we were catered for in the onboard cramped mess hall, but the same rule applied with the film crew..
15 hours on that tub just to do a recruitment add for late night TV & cinemas.... :p

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My current job is the only one I've ever had where I've been provided with meals - only when I'm doing lunch cover with a student. Personally, I rarely bother with the free meal as our canteen produces meals that are major carb-fests and asking for extra veg or salad causes trouble!

I'm doing my DAFNE course week after next.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just come back from the cinema, an afternoon showing of Bait. Brilliant! It’s shot on an old Bolex with 16mm film. Very moving, very topical. The scenes, the characters and the issues will be in my head for a long time now.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll need to apologise to the guinea-pigs tomorrow, I ate their green bell peppers.
Was going to go shopping and cooking today but didn't feel like it. Freezer had some sausages, fridge a piece of feta cheese and some leftover creme fraiche that smelled and looked still good after spooning out the part where the dirty spoon had gone in earlier in the week (and giving that bit to the cat for a double check. Cat said it was fine). The only veggies I had were a couple of onions and those bell peppers meant for the guinea-pigs though.
Friendly neighbour cut the onions for me. I tried but deemed it too dangerous with my left hand. Cutting the peppers went well, so I made a very nice pepper onion soup with pieces of sausage to act like soup balls and oven baked feta on top :hungry:
I love cooking with what I can find, and it didn't even need insulin!
But I will feel so guilty tomorrow when feeding the guinea-pigs, and it won't be until late afternoon that I'll get to buy them new veggies.