Livid with teacher.

Cheska tyler

daughter age 9 keeps coming out of school dying for a wee as the teacher won’t let her go to the loo during class don’t know what to do .

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
daughter age 9 keeps coming out of school dying for a wee as the teacher won’t let her go to the loo during class don’t know what to do .

Does the teacher know your daughter is diabetic. My teacher used to let everyone go to the toilet because its embarrassing to hold it in and have a accident

Cheska tyler

Does the teacher know your daughter is diabetic. My teacher used to let everyone go to the toilet because its embarrassing to hold it in and have a accident
Yes she is aware. On Friday she asked coming in from lunch and had to wait till home time , she actually had tummy ache from waiting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, best thing is to make an after school appointment with the teacher to talk through ways of helping her, if that doesn't help, then go to the headteacher.
Your daughter must feel so distressed and uncomfortable at school and it's probably holding back on her education if she's sitting bursting to go to the loo. What is her BG like, as highs can make us wee a lot more ?
I hope you get support, take care.

Reactions: Struma and Gannet

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cheska tyler ,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your child is having an issue with one particular teacher at her school.
I personally don't feel it's fair to disallow being excused to to the loo.

It would be difficult to focus on anything under those conditions.

As mentioned above if BGs are high? One is more likely to urinate a little more as a response to help evacuate excess sugar from the body..?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have a quite word with the teacher and and say as you are aware my daughter has diabetes are you also aware that a symptom of this condition is frequent urination and if so why are you preventing my daughter from going to the toilet when she needs to.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer and the situation does not improve then demand an interview with the head teacher.

Cheska tyler

Hi, best thing is to make an after school appointment with the teacher to talk through ways of helping her, if that doesn't help, then go to the headteacher.
Your daughter must feel so distressed and uncomfortable at school and it's probably holding back on her education if she's sitting bursting to go to the loo. What is her BG like, as highs can make us wee a lot more ?
I hope you get support, take care.
I did speak to the teacher on the first day when the teacher told the class the rule. Apparently the teacher was a right cow on Friday I don’t care if you’re desperate you go at lunch

Cheska tyler

@Cheska tyler sorry to read about your daughter's distress.
In addition to talking to her teachers, I recommend working out why your daughter needs to go to the toilet in the middle of a lesson. Someone with reasonably well managed diabetes should not be struggling with bladder problems and should be able to last a lesson without a break.
The need for a wee may have nothing to do with diabetes. Perhaps your daughter has a problem with the toilets during her break?
She is okay with using the loos. I honestly think the stress of knowing the teacher won’t let her go is making it worse. Surely it’s a human right to have a wee when needed?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have to say many many years ago when I was at school we had a teacher who was very much the same and insisted that you had to wait. My mum told me if you have to go then go if the need is great just walk out no matter what the teacher says and that is what I did.

Cheska tyler

I have to say many many years ago when I was at school we had a teacher who was very much the same and insisted that you had to wait. My mum told me if you have to go then go if the need is great just walk out no matter what the teacher says and that is what I did.
The power goes to their heads. It’s either that or my daughter can wee on her shoes

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Cheska tyler the other aspect is that if she doesn’t go when she needs to then she runs the risk of getting a kidney infection which along with her diabetes would cause her more issues. I’d go straight to the head about this and explain the importance of allowing her to go when she needs to, my daughter is 11 and although not diabetic she is still allowed to go to the loo if she needs to.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely it’s a human right to have a wee when needed?

It's a common curtesy..
Certainly in the "real world" @ work where a collegue has the odd "off day" gastro wise. We cover his back.

.. Though, frequent need to urinate with guys around my age. I would be concerned when they had the last check up from a doc. ;)

Cheska tyler

Hi @Cheska tyler the other aspect is that if she doesn’t go when she needs to then she runs the risk of getting a kidney infection which along with her diabetes would cause her more issues. I’d go straight to the head about this and explain the importance of allowing her to go when she needs to, my daughter is 11 and although not diabetic she is still allowed to go to the loo if she needs to.
Thanks for that . I would double check with your daughter if I was u

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My wife's sister her brother's wife and her brother all have been teachers I am am sure none of them would behave in that manner in fact I am certain of it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for that . I would double check with your daughter if I was u

No worries - I don’t think there’s any hard or fast rules on this but kids should be allowed to go if necessary as it affects their ability to learn if they can’t as they would be distracted and unable to concentrate so it’s in the teachers interests too that they can go if necessary. The kids in my daughters class are challenged if they ask but not denied if necessary.

Reactions: Struma

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get no success with the teacher, make an appointment to see the headteacher, and go prepared with information about symptoms of diabetes.
If you get no success with the Headteacher then write a letter to the Chair of Governors (assuming you are in UK) outlining the situation

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to be the devil's avocate, if a lesson is say an hour long and 30 children leave for a few mins each there will always be someone leaving or coming back, it will be very disruptive so some discipline is needed. In the OP's daughter's case there needs to be an exception, although children don't usually like to be different. For all children, making a habit of going during a break is the solution.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Further to speaking to the teacher, followed by the head if necessary, give your daughter a note explaining the situation signed by both yourself and the head. Ask the head to tell all staff that your daughter needs to be excused as and when. Having a note takes the responsibility away from your daughter and may help to make her less anxious. Less anxiety often means fewer trips to the loo!
It may also help if the teacher asks your daughter to wait 5 minutes. Often children then forget that they wanted to leave the room. It could be that your daughter was the eigthth kid asking to go to the loo on that afternoon and that the response was in exasperation. Pity if your daughter copped this.