Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anybody seen this test before?

The marshmallow test is one of the most famous pieces of social-science research: Put a marshmallow in front of a child, tell her that she can have a second one if she can go 15 minutes without eating the first one, and then leave the room. Whether she’s patient enough to double her payout is supposedly indicative of a willpower that will pay dividends down the line, at school and eventually at work. Passing the test is, to many, a promising signal of future success.”

Yep, I've heard of it. In the original test the subjects were also told if they waited then they would get another sweet...
The ones that did wait were better with finance & money managment later in life..

It's just a good job I wasn't subjected to this test as a kid. Pending on my BG levels at the time, I could have been tipped as the next Allan Sugar. Or living in a box.. ;)

Reactions: annabell1

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I've heard of it. In the original test the subjects were also told if they waited then they would get another sweet...
That’s the theory.

Its quite funny watching the kids yield to temptation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s the theory.

Then can you elaborate on the relevance to this thread.. The way I see it, the subject is rewarded in an allotted time by a further 6g? Of carbs, if they show restraint from not eating the first...

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then can you elaborate on the relevance to this thread.. The way I see it, the subject is rewarded in an allotted time by a further 6g? Of carbs, if they show restraint from not eating the first...
The relevance is blindingly obvious. It is a test of self restraint. Test of self control. It is a very well known test. Look it up if you want to know more about the self control bit.

Google “The Marshmellow Test : Understanding Self Control” ;)

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some have better levels of self control than others
Maybe the strength of the craving varies, or the exposure to temptation? Is giving in once more virtuous when tested 100 times or just 5?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will there ever be a time when I never ever experience cravings again?
I’ve not got there yet. They still hit from time to time. The difference for me is the regularity and the ease with which I can either distract or satiate it in a suitable way. I’m in the middle of my worst episode for some time tonight trying furiously to distract myself.

As a result tonight I ate pork crackling for the first time in my life to satisfy the crunch craving. (I will admit I couldn’t face the thick band of white fat attached to it). The crackling was so much better than I remember and much better than pork scratchings which always taste of overused deep fat fryer to me. Salty or vinegary or bitter things help me.

M

Member496333

Irrelevant if you happen to not like marshmallows

Or if you’re so greedy you’ll do absolutely anything to ensure you get a limitless supply of marshmallows rather than just the one? I can see flaws in the logic of this test :shifty:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see flaws in the logic of this test :shifty:

I think you are right. But there is still some substance to it. But as people point out there is more to it than the test first appears to conclude. The originator has written a book on it.

“In his groundbreaking new book, Dr. Mischel draws on decades of compelling research and life examples to explore the nature of willpower, identifying the cognitive skills and mental mechanisms that enable it and showing how these can be applied to challenges in everyday life--from weight control to quitting smoking, overcoming heartbreak, making major decisions, and planning for retirement.”

You could of course add T2 diabetes to the list.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, this thread is asking about cravings, not self-control. Those are different things, in my view.

Please respect your fellow member by respecting her question and respond to it, rather than deflecting off.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, in answer to @woollygal ‘s original question, it is my experience that my cravings have weakened over time*, and I think it has happened for a number of different reasons. These include years of experience, the fewer carbs I eat, the fewer cravings I get, the fact that if I give in and eat the craved food, I often find it extremely disappointing, motivation that I know how grotty I will feel if I give in, achieving better bg control => being in ketosis more.

It is fair to say that they bore me and irritate me nowadays. They no longer rule me. I view them with the same attitude I view chewing gum on the sole of my shoe. Inconvenient, solvable and not worth stressing about.

It would be easy to say that my cravings disappear if i resist eating the foods long enough, but that doesn’t cover it.
Cravings can be triggered by memories (last time i watched this film we had a pizza delivered), emotions (anger is a big one, also grief and happiness YMMV), hormones (those of us who have experienced PCOS, PMT, pregnancy, and menopause probably laugh in the face of someone who hasn’t, and who believes that willpower is all you need).

*except for low bg hypo cravings. Those vary, but can be very powerful, and I do not advise ever ignoring or willpowering through. That would be unwise and potentially dangerous. Always worth a quick blood glucose test to rule out a hypo if you experience a craving.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK? On the subject of cravings. In my reckless youth, I survived some crazy tests of my endurance as a T1. Or even as a human being. Thinking back. I could have possibly fallen foul of my "misadventure?" Testing my personal "limits."

I'm not going to be so impertinent as to to ask @woollygal 's age. But there comes a point where the answer to the cravings don't work anymore... (Even for a non D.) You did the right thing by yourself by playing safe.

Total respect.

Hotpepper20000

I think the reason that my cravings for carbs have become very manageable is because it the high fat part of the LCHF.
I do believe it is the reason so many are successful eating this way.
I have said this before, I do think as Low carb becomes more main stream that people will be set up for failure with out increasing fats.
I know the less carbs I eat the less I crave.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thank you everyone.

Had half a cookie yesterday. Not sure why but couldn’t say no. Cravings are completely out of control.

Think it could be pms. Although another couple weeks till I’m due I am getting other symptoms. Although I haven’t been like this since diagnosis. But maybe it’s just an odd off month. Fingers crossed.

Could t stop eating yesterday. Wasn’t hungry just needed to eat. Then felt lousy. Funnily enough.

Think cravings will probably never go. I just need them not as bad as they are now. And that’s for everting

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone.

Had half a cookie yesterday. Not sure why but couldn’t say no. Cravings are completely out of control.

Think it could be pms. Although another couple weeks till I’m due I am getting other symptoms. Although I haven’t been like this since diagnosis. But maybe it’s just an odd off month. Fingers crossed.

Could t stop eating yesterday. Wasn’t hungry just needed to eat. Then felt lousy. Funnily enough.

Think cravings will probably never go. I just need them not as bad as they are now. And that’s for everting

I suggest that you get yourself a couple of Craving Buster easy options, and try and train yourself to think 'Oh, that's a craving. That means I can eat ......(insert your Craving Buster here)'.

For me, that means a nice big mug of low carb hot choc, with cream. I'm not talking about one of those frankenfood sachets of pretend hot choc at 40 calories. Oh no. I am talking about the real deal. 100% pure cocoa powder (I like Bourneville), a good quality artificial sweetener (I like erythritol), and double cream. Very easy to make.

And if I am not craving sweet stuff? Then it is cheese all the way.

Your craving busters will vary depending on your tastes. Fat bombs, roast haunch of venison, whatever floats your boat, but I have found that eating enough of a low carb high fat food will kill most cravings. And being hungry just makes them get worse and worse.

Reactions: ziggy_w

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I suggest that you get yourself a couple of Craving Buster easy options, and try and train yourself to think 'Oh, that's a craving. That means I can eat ......(insert your Craving Buster here)'.

For me, that means a nice big mug of low carb hot choc, with cream. I'm not talking about one of those frankenfood sachets of pretend hot choc at 40 calories. Oh no. I am talking about the real deal. 100% pure cocoa powder (I like Bourneville), a good quality artificial sweetener (I like erythritol), and double cream. Very easy to make.

And if I am not craving sweet stuff? Then it is cheese all the way.

Your craving busters will vary depending on your tastes. Fat bombs, roast haunch of venison, whatever floats your boat, but I have found that eating enough of a low carb high fat food will kill most cravings. And being hungry just makes them get worse and worse.
I’m not hungry at all. Other than yesterday when I just wanted to eat it’s mostly when I’m out. Then they come in so quickly it’s literally because I just see something or someone says something.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take your point but that would I believe severely limit the discussion to just yes or no answers to a yes or no question .

So for what it's worth my answer to the question posed is NO.

Nobody is asking for binary numbers, because like anything related to diabetes, things are rarely black and white, however, on a thread of 40-odd postings, to my scan count, around 12 were relating to self-control/willpower, which, to my view are not the same thing. They might be how someone deals with a craving, but not if the cravings exist ever desist in the first instance.

This my last off-topic post on the matter or I'll have to moderate myself.