JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Feta, goat cheese, Brie, Camembert, blue cheese, and Mexican queso fresco or queso blanco are more apt to be made with unpasteurized milk.

And Parmesan has to be made with unpasteurized milk or it aint Parmesan

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feta, goat cheese, Brie, Camembert, blue cheese, and Mexican queso fresco or queso blanco are more apt to be made with unpasteurized milk.

I will check that out tomorrow but I think you are right. We make a Brie.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Most of those in the Netherlands are made with pasteurized milk. If they're not, it has to be clearly on the package, because pregnant people are discouraged from eating cheeses from raw milk as they hold a small risk of listeria, which is dangerous to the unborn.

Stupid thing is that a lot of people believe you shouldn't eat soft cheeses when pregnant, even in the Netherlands where it's not from raw milk unless it says so.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of those in the Netherlands are made with pasteurized milk. If they're not, it has to be clearly on the package, because pregnant people are discouraged from eating cheeses from raw milk as they hold a small risk of listeria, which is dangerous to the unborn.

Stupid thing is that a lot of people believe you shouldn't eat soft cheeses when pregnant, even in the Nethelands where it's not from raw milk unless it says so.
I am pretty sure I will be involved in the making of loads of soft cheese tomorrow. I will ask if the milk used has been pasteurised or not.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why? You aren't pregnant, are you?
Naah :D. Just to see if the milk going into the cheese is pasteurised or not. It’s all a bit interesting at the moment.

I can’t eat any of it as it has to mature. I tried some the other day and it wasn’t very appetising but that’s normal apparently until it ripens.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I will check that out tomorrow but I think you are right. We make a Brie.
"Parmigiano-Reggiano is made from unpasteurized cow's milk. The whole milk of the morning milking is mixed with the naturally skimmed milk (which is made by keeping milk in large shallow tanks to allow the cream to separate) of the previous evening's milking, resulting in a part skim mixture. This mixture is pumped into copper-lined vats (copper heats and cools quickly because it is an excellent conductor of heat)."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Parmigiano-Reggiano is made from unpasteurized cow's milk. The whole milk of the morning milking is mixed with the naturally skimmed milk (which is made by keeping milk in large shallow tanks to allow the cream to separate) of the previous evening's milking, resulting in a part skim mixture. This mixture is pumped into copper-lined vats (copper heats and cools quickly because it is an excellent conductor of heat)."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano
In the US cheese from unpasteurised milk has to be matured for at least 60 days before it is sold. The theory is that any bacteria will have been killed by the acid, salty environment by that time. The youngest Parmesan is 18 months old so should be ok.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know of a couple of places here in Norfolk that sell and indeed parcel post both RAW milk (as it is usually termed) and one them also makes a Brie Style cheese from this product. I love the stuff as its like what we used to get as well as being un-pasteurised the cream is also not Homogenised so settles nicely into layer in the bottle like it always did! Anyone wanting details of these suppliers drop me a PM and I will send you the links; not sure how the rules are here about "advertising" openly.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Brie style cheeses I have been involved in making are made with pasteurised milk, as I found today when I asked. Apparently the supermarkets insist that is the case.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think, one risk of drinking unpasteurised milk, is picking up brucellosis, but that the very small risk, is lessened once properly and promptly cooled.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Another problem with unpasteurized milk and cheeses is Listeria which they can possibly contain,

cheeses made from unpasteurized milk should definitely be avoided by pregnant women.

Many of the soft cheeses are usually made with pasteurized milk just some are not and Parmesan can only be labeled as Parmesan if made from non pasteurized milk..

Good God In cannot believe what the predictive text changed the word definitely to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I think, one risk of drinking unpasteurised milk, is picking up brucellosis, but that the very small risk, is lessened once properly and promptly cooled.
You can add tuberculosis (TB) to that as well, plus other bits and pieces that came off the milkers hands if he / she had not washed them after using the toilet before milking cows.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know of a couple of places here in Norfolk that sell and indeed parcel post both RAW milk (as it is usually termed) and one them also makes a Brie Style cheese from this product. I love the stuff as its like what we used to get as well as being un-pasteurised the cream is also not Homogenised so settles nicely into layer in the bottle like it always did! Anyone wanting details of these suppliers drop me a PM and I will send you the links; not sure how the rules are here about "advertising" openly.
How does the parcel post work? I was considering posting some cheese to my other employer but didn’t think cheese and post went well together, if you see what I mean.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How does the parcel post work? I was considering posting some cheese to my other employer but didn’t think cheese and post went well together, if you see what I mean.
I believe Yodel will deliver Swiss cheese.

Musora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get unpasteurised milk from a local farm’s Milkbot. It’s delicious and I usually make kefir from it. The notices about organisms have to be posted at point of sale by law in the UK and the milk is basically sold ‘at the farm gate’ so you can see how the farm is operating and make your decision. The milk is also regularly tested - also on spec by the FSA. There is an online register of suppliers in England, and they seem to be gradually becoming more numerous - in the East Midlands anyway.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get unpasteurised milk from a local farm’s Milkbot. It’s delicious and I usually make kefir from it. The notices about organisms have to be posted at point of sale by law in the UK and the milk is basically sold ‘at the farm gate’ so you can see how the farm is operating and make your decision. The milk is also regularly tested - also on spec by the FSA. There is an online register of suppliers in England, and they seem to be gradually becoming more numerous - in the East Midlands anyway.
Yes, you are right, it is delicious.

Reactions: Musora

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Posting works just like any other items really, they just need to use freezer block type items to keep things cool. Usually items are sent priority and definitely next day!