What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nah! He’s a butch Yorkshireman!
Probably not as butch now. I told Julie these were kitchen scissors so I hope she never works out the truth
upload_2019-10-13_19-50-27.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Comes in at about £5 here in the Hebrides. That's OK if it's the only meal of the day. I would usually allow myself about £5 or £6 per day for food - here it would have been a lot cheaper eating higher carb and only vegetables, so low protein and fat. But less of something that is better for you is better than more of something that is making you ill.
I eat three meals a day, lunch would be either the cheapest or expensive depends whether I am at home or at the club. Dinner is a bit of a price mystery as I have never costed it out.

We spend about $350.00 a fortnight on groceries and meat, plus delivery / freight charges where applicable.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Was going to report an OMAD day but then remembered I had chocolate for ‘breakfast’!

So, morning snack with tea = 3 hotel chocolat 85% batons

Linner was meant to be Nando’s, but long queue meant I headed to Five Guys for a bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions. Closely followed by a Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate with cocoa whip. Yesterday’s theory about use of skimmed milk looks correct. Watched them use full fat milk today and BG rise under 1mmol.

Rain stopped late afternoon which led to a post linner canal stroll - 5th canal of the weekend.

@DJC3 glad Dennis enjoyed the Schnauzer fest.

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo I’m with you re omelettes. I have them for supper twice a week either grated cheese with two chopped tomatoes (my favourite) or with whatever is lurking in the fridge often mushrooms, bacon, ham, green veg etc. Wonderful meal and kind to the BG. I am so glad I like eggs the most versatile food around.
They are a quick meal to cook any time of day.

I like eggs but they have to be cooked completely I do not like runny yolks, this dates back to the days of food rationing when we came off it and cooked fresh eggs again.

My crazy mother must have forgotten how long to cook them after serving up the powdered variety, as they were always runny including the whites.

Edit: Clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening, we didn't have our usual Sunday roast, as MrB had been away and the curry was easier in terms of timings, bearing in mind how fickle travel can be.

On my own this weekend, I started a duck breast off for homemade duck prosciutto, then got a bit spooked around where to hang it, for a stable 10-15c , and not create temptation to vermin. The other of the pair in the pack had been vacuum packed and lobbed into the sous vide bath for a soak. Timings were 45 minutes-4 hours, then flash the fat to crisp it.

Two hours in, I got very hungry, and changed plan a bit; deciding to airfry it.

Ooooh. Yeah. It was so, so delicious, very tender and with crispy skin. That, or a version of it, is a keeper. I also saved the rendered fat. As you might imagine, there was plenty of it.

Having caught cold feet about the meat hanging, I vacuumed the remaining breast and I'll try airfrying it at some point. The curing process had already begun, the finishing of it could be interesting. It's now in the freezer.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: mint Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :hungry:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Millie74 , thanks for the tag @PenguinMum. Unfortunately I only have knowledge of low carb with Metformin, no other meds. So as not to derail this thread further, I think it best if @Millie74 posts her own thread in an appropriate sub form. Can I suggest the Type 2 one?

I am T2 and on insulin before each meal and overnight. So far low carb, although it has other benefits, hasn't made my BG drop particularly, or made me lose weight. In fact, I've had to increase the insulin. There may be reasons for this which do not affect @Millie74. so it is best to be careful and get advice from some medic who knows about diabetes and about lchf. I did have a hypo a couple of nights ago but that was due to ultra low calories and one small meal a day (so - insulin only once during the day). I am not doing this with medical support because there is none available to me at present and I am not prepared to wait for months until I can get an appointment with the only GP I know of who approves of low carb. I know she approves of low carb but pretty sure she doesn't approve of the ultra low calorie or intermittent fasting bit. If @Millie74 does post a thread on another forum, could you/she put a link here so I can find it?

Despite the minimal meal today, I wasn't too hungry, but I did have a couple of RyVita to keep me going.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yes I do make it, although I haven’t made it since the summer. I use this recipe
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetable-recipes/baba-ganoush/

Hope you find some inspiration for your sister’s present soon. I hate it when I’m rushing around at the last minute, racking my brains trying to think of something
Oh ok very different to how I make it I'm Australian Lebanese we make it simple and don't add the spices or oil. Have to try it like that one day but this is how I make it https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/eggplant-dip-baba-ghanouj which is more authentic Lebanese way.

Didn't buy anything for my sister so going to shops tomorrow so hopefully find something tomorrow.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Breakfast made pancakes from a bottle add water to it a friend left it my place and I decided make it I was lazy and it has flour and all those things I want mentioned but only ate one the rest I will freeze dinner I grilled lamb ribs on my iron cast pan with some salad and leftover babaganish few celery and carrot sticks. Nice and full ATM after a few bites I keep getting full quickly then an hour later I'm starving again which cn is annoying. Might mention to my dr as used to happen years ago. My BSL are still above normal although 40mins before dinner tonight it was 4.2 and I felt it so took a glucose tablets.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
At $7 for a small one, it probably wouldn't be worth it. A largish one here costs about £2 and does at least 4 meals.
Yes agree if was cheaper I may have brought it to try. Sounds like good price were you buy.

Millie74

I am T2 and on insulin before each meal and overnight. So far low carb, although it has other benefits, hasn't made my BG drop particularly, or made me lose weight. In fact, I've had to increase the insulin. There may be reasons for this which do not affect @Millie74. so it is best to be careful and get advice from some medic who knows about diabetes and about lchf. I did have a hypo a couple of nights ago but that was due to ultra low calories and one small meal a day (so - insulin only once during the day). I am not doing this with medical support because there is none available to me at present and I am not prepared to wait for months until I can get an appointment with the only GP I know of who approves of low carb. I know she approves of low carb but pretty sure she doesn't approve of the ultra low calorie or intermittent fasting bit. If @Millie74 does post a thread on another forum, could you/she put a link here so I can find it?

Despite the minimal meal today, I wasn't too hungry, but I did have a couple of RyVita to keep me going.
Thanks for your response. I stopped taking the SGLT2 again today. I tried 20g all bran, tablespoon greek yoghurt and 5 raspberries. Was 10.7 Rest of day on low carb better. I don’t think I’ll achieve the 48mmol target at next hba1c at this rate. I don’t think I can eat breakfast at all. I teach dance all day. Really would like to eat breakfast. Tested before lunch 7.2. Tested so much, fingers are dry and splitting. Not sure what to do as at least SGLT2 took breakfast down to 8.4 ish and was 4.9 before lunch. Just later on in day lunch/ dinner readings a 9 plus on added carbs. Stressful. Don’t know what to do for best!

How did you end up on insulin?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response. I stopped taking the SGLT2 again today. I tried 20g all bran, tablespoon greek yoghurt and 5 raspberries. Was 10.7 Rest of day on low carb better. I don’t think I’ll achieve the 48mmol target at next hba1c at this rate. I don’t think I can eat breakfast at all. I teach dance all day. Really would like to eat breakfast. Tested before lunch 7.2. Tested so much, fingers are dry and splitting. Not sure what to do as at least SGLT2 took breakfast down to 8.4 ish and was 4.9 before lunch. Just later on in day lunch/ dinner readings a 9 plus on added carbs. Stressful. Don’t know what to do for best!

How did you end up on insulin?

Hi Millie,

I suggest you start a separate thread and ask your questions there.

While we are a friendly, chatty bunch on this thread, we tend to try and keep the discussion to what we ate, plus a bit of chat, rather than tackling the big questions about diabetic management and testing.

To start a new thread, just scroll up to the top of the page and click on Forums. Then select the sub forum you want your thread to be in. Then click the Green Start a New Thread button, and type your queries there. :)

Reactions: Millie74

Millie74

Hi Millie,

I suggest you start a separate thread and ask your questions there.

While we are a friendly, chatty bunch on this thread, we tend to try and keep the discussion to what we ate, plus a bit of chat, rather than tackling the big questions about diabetic management and testing.

To start a new thread, just scroll up to the top of the page and click on Forums. Then select the sub forum you want your thread to be in. Then click the Green Start a New Thread button, and type your queries there. :)
Ok apologies. Reading too much. Just need to have a break from it for a bit. I won’t ask any more questions or start a new thread. Apologies.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh ok very different to how I make it I'm Australian Lebanese we make it simple and don't add the spices or oil. Have to try it like that one day but this is how I make it https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/eggplant-dip-baba-ghanouj which is more authentic Lebanese way.

Didn't buy anything for my sister so going to shops tomorrow so hopefully find something tomorrow.

Thanks Annabell I guess the basics aren’t so different, aubergine, garlic, lemon and tahini. It’s just the different spices. I’ll try your way next time. My hob is electric though so I couldn’t do the charring of the skin like that - sounds like fun though.
Good luck present shopping.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok apologies. Reading too much. Just need to have a break from it for a bit. I won’t ask any more questions or start a new thread. Apologies.

You can ask any questions you like! And people will be very happy to answer them, but it just helps everyone if each thread has a sort of 'identity', so people can track what is on it and it doesn't get derailed. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Day started and ended well from a LCHF perspective but veered way off course somewhere in the middle.

Breakfast on train a combination of self provided cheese and peperami with train provided bacon and egg.

Veered off course once at work with a few too many Hotel Chocolat Brazil nuts in dark chocolate, some dark chocolate with almonds bought by a colleague and, some potato crisps that had been left in the kitchen. My nemesis! Not sure what brought that on

Lunch of bacon and eggs and then an experiment for dinner. Tried making carnivore pizza in the air fryer. Was a bit crispier than when made in the oven, but the pepperoni dried out a bit (looks drier than it was in the photo). Tasted good, but needs work. Various stages of production in the attached picture.

E4672F09-2E9C-4B3D-9281-7763CE6CC396.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting pizza experiment @Goonergal I can see it has potential. Shame about the crisps in the office but well done for putting it behind you and moving swiftly on. Out of interest did you feel ok afterwards?
An odd food day for me because I hadn’t planned any meals and that’s always a mistake. I’m much better controlled if I plan a day in advance.
Late breakfast was DD Caprese omelette ( mozzarella, cherry tomato and oregano instead of basil) CWC
Lunch: 1 chipolata ( leftover from Mr C’s sausage sandwich) wrapped in a slice of Leerdammer cheese and dipped in Dijon mustard. Then Montezumas 100% with orange - a bit too much of it.
D: had to use up some pork mince so made this with it
https://twosleevers.com/pressure-cooker-low-carb-ground-beef-shawarma/ With tzatziki very nice. Followed unnecessarily with lazy mousse and some almonds. 1 glass red.