What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve kinda been awol again. No fasting bg today as I slept from 7pm yesterday till 1am to get up and watch the F1, then back to bed about 9am to get back up at 1pm ready for America football, watched one game onto the second and I can go through with game after game until 5am. I’ve made a wagon for the train and working on the goods to fill it right now. I will add a pic tomorrow.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I imagine the guy confused Champions League (European competition) - which they won - with Premier League which they didn't.

That could be it. I never followed the Champions League even when I regularly watched Premier League with a Liverpool-supporter friend. Thanks, Ian.

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve kinda been awol again. No fasting bg today as I slept from 7pm yesterday till 1am to get up and watch the F1, then back to bed about 9am to get back up at 1pm ready for America football, watched one game onto the second and I can go through with game after game until 5am. I’ve made a wagon for the train and working on the goods to fill it right now. I will add a pic tomorrow.

I'm glad you get to binge-watch the football you like. Nothing better than following a favorite sport -- in the comfort of my home the older I get! For me it is horse racing and the Olympic Games.

t31233.gif
horse-racing_1f3c7.png
t31081.gif
t31117.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So there I was, on the kitchen floor with my smallest screwdriver, taking apart the last sections of the old MacBook. I had removed the battery a few days before so, short of ramming a metal tool right into the thing's innards, I figured I was safe.

Then I saw a bright orange flicker. It looked like a power light. No way, I thought. The battery's gone, it must be the kitchen light reflecting on something metal in the panel.

So I looked again. It flickered again. This time unmistakably a flicker. There was something inside that computer that had not died when the battery was removed!

Now, I am basically your typical American staunch Protestant, half Calvinist, half Wesleyan, and I do not believe that Satan has any spawn. But whatever was in there scared me so badly that I shut the MacBook lid, put the screwdriver away, got up off the floor, and tied that computer up in a garbage bag and consigned it to the dump in the bowels of the building.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 yesterday
4.7 today

Just catching up. Over 300 posts so it wont be in one sitting!

Have lots of painting to do. House almost ready to go on the market and its gloss time. White, shiny, gleaming, fresh white gloss..love it. It looks so sharp. 2 more shifts of glossing should do it.

So yesterday I got a text from my friend asking if I could look after her fish when she goes on holiday next week. Due to the constraints of the English language I've no idea how many this involves. I've not had good experience with fish in the past. Sadly I seem to kill them off. So I said 'I will, but I'm not good with fish, I kill them off. Even resorted to plastic fish to keep children happy when younger but even their colours faded and they looked so washed out I had to flush down loo ;-) .

Anyway 'if you kill my fish I will feed them to you' was my friend's reply. Oh that's good, at least that clarified it wasnt just one!

But then guess what!!! Last night other friends called around for a catch up, a Chinese (chicken foo yung doesnt effect my bs one bit and delicious) and a couple of glasses of wine. 'I have a question for you' she said. When we go on holiday can you look after my 20 YEAR OLD GOLDFISH!!! At this point I started to hyperventilate. '20 year old you say??? '. Yes, 'still a baby' she said throwing her head back laughing. I nervously laughed along to hide my feelings of SHEER PANIC!!! So this week it seems my FBS will only be going in one direction and it's not down!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez I too was told by my GP when she phoned with my dx that they dont recommend testing daily as it makes people too anxious. The one helpful thing she said was to go online where I would find lots of info and support and I came here almost straightaway. I just lurked for a few weeks reading before I felt able to post.
My logic is you wouldnt recommend crossing a busy road with a blindfold on but you are equally taking high risks with managing Diabetes without the use of a personal meter because of the peaks and troughs which the A1c doesnt show. And of course it is well documented that peaks above 8 can cause damage.
As regards cost the NHS regularly does deals with companies who supply them so could negotiate with one supplier on the cost of strips etc and possibly could persuade them to issue free meters because of the numbers involved.
The only thing I would add is the public need to start taking ownership of chronic conditions and try to manage them in partnership with their doctors. If only Doctors could start the conversation on dx saying yes it is a chronic condition but can be controlled and managed with self discipline and use of a meter before and after (2 hrs) eating. One of my OH’s buddies is in a bit of denial and it is his wife who does the worrying and polices his food. Behind her back he does what he likes. But that might be because Diabetes has always been portrayed as having hopeless outcomes and putting your fingers in your ears and saying lalala is just a coping method for abject fear.

Sorry Deb a bit rambling...and I am happy to give a snapshot of my experience if it helps. The strange thing for me is since dx (same date as you) I have had normal A1cs but yet I am about to start my second course of eye injections due to Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion which has reduced my sight in one eye significantly. That might be because I had high BG for many years before dx and the damage was already done or maybe I am just unlucky.

Thanks PM you are a star. Not had a minute to take it forward this week. Still manic but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, just hope its not train heading for me!! Haha.

Do they day your damage I's down.to diabetes?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So there I was, on the kitchen floor with my smallest screwdriver, taking apart the last sections of the old MacBook. I had removed the battery a few days before so, short of ramming a metal tool right into the thing's innards, I figured I was safe.

Then I saw a bright orange flicker. It looked like a power light. No way, I thought. The battery's gone, it must be the kitchen light reflecting on something metal in the panel.

So I looked again. It flickered again. This time unmistakably a flicker. There was something inside that computer that had not died when the battery was removed!

Now, I am basically your typical American staunch Protestant, half Calvinist, half Wesleyan, and I do not believe that Satan has any spawn. But whatever was in there scared me so badly that I shut the MacBook lid, put the screwdriver away, got up off the floor, and tied that computer up in a garbage bag and consigned it to the dump in the bowels of the building.

upload_2019-10-14_2-34-37.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, Early Bird! I hope this Monday will surprise you and be a good day for you.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...anti-coagulant clinic today at 9am...ooh I so wanted to stay in bed...coffee time hoping it will give me the impetus to at least get ready...I expect my INR levels to be all over the place this week work has been frantic...I missed one dose of Warfarin & had my flu jab so expecting the worse...we shall see...woke to a 6.2

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...anti-coagulant clinic today at 9am...ooh I so wanted to stay in bed...coffee time hoping it will give me the impetus to at least get ready...I expect my INR levels to be all over the place this week work has been frantic...I missed one dose of Warfarin & had my flu jab so expecting the worse...we shall see...woke to a 6.2

I clicked "Hug" and here is a rainbow too for optimism and best wishes --

t115004.gif

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from the dark and quietness of an early Monday morning in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of hiding from a deluge of rain and slothful lounging came in at 4.6 this am

I did come upon a, for me, different recipe for a dairy free loaf yesterday so; did I have the ingredients - yes. Made one up. Not bad. A white loaf, reasonable taste, sort of fresh scone texture. Video on YouTube if you want to have a go yourself

Have a great day if you can, bake something if you can’t, it’s quite therapeutic

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for @OldButBold as you seem to be in some strife of late. @trick60 sympathise with Monday feeling - approaching 6 years retirement and all memory of that erased. So the early morning finger prick and body scan scales watusi just added to the I Ching inspired image in my head of late. 5.8 from the meter and more kgs than the norm. My Gordian knot today revolves around how to eat the season, honour the real food concept and stay lchf whilst not insulting my taste buds. Very unlikely that the piece of brisket discovered during freezer trawl will provoke anything but outrage. Best part of the last few days has been the slow revealing of just how well Ecclesiastcus resonates with where I am right now. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 6 today. Keep well away everyone I have started my 71st year with a corker of a cold, had to sleep sitting in a chair if you can call it sleep, off to feel sorry for myself.

@OldButBold hope your ailments soon go away.

See you all tomorrow, have the best day you are able.