Why was my reading so high?

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I was told by my doctor that I was pre-diabetic and since then I've been really cutting the carbs I eat, and monitoring my blood sugar. This is what I've eaten today, and cannot understand why my blood sugar has risen so rapidly. Does anyone have any answers?

On rising 8.00am this morning my BS reading was 6.00

Breakfast at 8.30am consisted to 2 boiled eggs, one slice of homemade Keto bread made with almond flour, psyllium husks, and egg whites. This was spread with butter.

Two hours later my BS reading was 6.4

Dinner consisted of five lean turkey balls, cauliflower mash, cabbage, and gravy made with one tablespoonful of Bisto.

Reading two hours later was 11.4!!

I don't know what is going on?

Yesterday for dinner I had chicken and loads of vegetables, including courgettes, cabbage, cauliflower mash, green bens, and Bisto gravy, and two hours after this my BS reading was 8.5. Today because I thought 8.5 was too high, I cut down on the vegetables as mentioned above, and the reading was 11.4 !!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you did not have enough fat and so the protein in the turkey was broken down into glucose, or your liver released some to keep you going - we actually need to have fat in the diet.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you did not have enough fat and so the protein in the turkey was broken down into glucose, or your liver released some to keep you going - we actually need to have fat in the diet.
Hi Resurgam

Thank you for replying to my question so promptly, and take on board what you are saying. I do try to follow the Keto diet, which includes fat, but must admit haven't had much fat today. I'll increase the fat I eat today and see if my BS readings decrease.

Many thanks!

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gracie204 did you double check your high reading?
You may have had something on your fingers which contaminated your blood for the meter.
If the reading I get is higher than expected, I always wash my hands (again) and retest.
Hi Kim

I think I love you! I've just given my hands a thorough wash and retested my BS, and it now reads 6.4. I feel so relieved. I'd previously used some oil on a dry patch on the base of the palm of my hand and it must have transferred to my finger tip.

Bless you!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yup always best to retest when you get an unexpected reading any thing on your fingers can skew a reading by a lot.