Type 1 Small pupils after hypo?

Petal85

Hi all. My 40-year-old partner was diagnosed T1 2 months ago. He’s had a fair few hypos but yesterday morning had a bad one at 2.1. He felt unwell for most of the day but he’s eyes went blurred during the hypo and also seemed to take a while to recover. His pupils were really small and it took hours to return to normal. Has anyone else had this? By chance we have the first annual eye check up later this month so I’ll check with them then.

Dark Horse

I doubt the eye screeners will know anything about this. Normally you would expect pupil dilation (mydriasis) with hypoglycaemia (due to the effects of the sympathetic nervous system which kicks in to try and raise blood glucose). However, there have been isolated reports where pupil constriction occurs (miosis), with speculation that it might be due to a temporary effect of hypoglycaemia on a part of the brain called the pons. https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(17)31790-7/pdf

Reactions: Petal85

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And of course the size of the pupils are changed by the intrinsic eye muscles. which I should suppose when deprived of glucose may be effected.

For me often the intrinsic eye muscles. don't work because of the breakdown of the nerve connection to the muscles so that my eyes don't react to changes in light levels.