Almond flour

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Can anyone tell me if this is ground almonds by another name, or an entirely different product?
Have seem lot of recipes that use almond flour, but not yet found any in the shops.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use ground almonds, @SlimLizzy . It is cheaper though not as finely ground as almond flour, which is available from health food shops such as Holland and Barratt. Ground almond gives a similar result , but if I was making cake I would ground almonds a bit of a pounding in food processor in pulse mode.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whichever you chose, check the carb content, they vary wildly!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I use ground almonds, @SlimLizzy . It is cheaper though not as finely ground as almond flour, which is available from health food shops such as Holland and Barratt. Ground almond gives a similar result , but if I was making cake I would ground almonds a bit of a pounding in food processor in pulse mode.
Aha! Another use for my new food processor :joyful:

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad you asked this I've been wondering the same and now I know. I've been keeping my food choices fairly simple as I'm a newbie but I'm itching to have a go at some keto/low carb baking!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use ground almonds for pastry, crumble, pancakes and scones but might splash out on finer almond flour if I cook a victoria sandwich style cake.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha! Another use for my new food processor :joyful:
I ought to have mentioned that too much blitzing in the food processor will render the ground almonds a bit soggy, and it will clump together. Sorry for omitting that earlier.
I found out by trial and error.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try putting all the dry ingredients into the processor -assuming that there is something other than ground almonds, and then running it for a little while. Allow the powders to cool before proceeding so as not to liberate the oil.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Both are made from ground almonds, though almond flour and almond meal have two subtle differences that set them apart. Almond flour is typically made from blanched almonds which have had the skins removed, and is ground more finely than almond meal, which typically still contains the skins and has a more coarse grind.