Highs in early pregnancy

Hi,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and terrified. Before I knew I was pregnant (since the day conceived pretty much) and for about a week after I found out, I was suffering from outlandish highs. The worst went up to 20! I rang and spoke to my diabetic nurse several times and she wasn't very helpful. I then found out I was pregnant and she confirmed the highs were likely caused by the hormones. It settled down, and now I'm struggling the other way a bit but am receiving much better care at weekly appointments at a diabetic antenatal team. But I am terrified I did irreparable damage on those early weeks. I've never had such resistant highs and I am (uselessly of course) so mad at myself and my old Diabetic nurse that we didn't twig sooner. I've been so down about it, I even considered abortion today as the guilt and worry are killing me. We tried for this baby for 2.5 years and i want it so badly but I feel terrible. When will I know that everything is ok? We had a viability scan at 8 weeks and saw the heart beat, but now I'm so scared. Did anyone have similar and how was their babies? I spent all afternoon in floods of tears, and have an anxiety disorder anyway and I just wish I had a window to the womb to make sure the hitchhiker is doing ok. I want to tell her I am so so sorry for being such a **** mum already. Sorry for the emotional blergh. I just needed to reach out.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Congratulations on the pregnancy.
What was control like before the little one decided to do their thing?
Hormone highs are normal and if you were doing OK before you know how to adjust doses and keep things in check. No pregnancy is perfect but you can manage sugars.

Thank you. It was ok I think. I'd gone over to the libre about 2 months before. I thought I was quite good and my hb1ac was 50 but the libre showed me in between the quite good tests were quite bads. And no amount of insulin was bringing these highs down. It was ridiculous.
Congratulations on the pregnancy.
What was control like before the little one decided to do their thing?
Hormone highs are normal and if you were doing OK before you know how to adjust doses and keep things in check. No pregnancy is perfect but you can manage sugars.

Abbybarford

Hi, I understand completely where you're coming from. Maybe this will help.

I had an unplanned pregnancy, my sugar levels were outrageous and everyone thought there wasn't much hope. Me and my partner both discussed having an abortion as it just didn't seem possible to have a healthy baby.

I powered through, we had a scan almost every month and every month the baby was perfect. I had to work really closely with the diabetic nurses to get my sugars drastically lower and I managed to with their help. My hba1c went from 70 to around 42. It isn't easy, infact it was the hardest 9 months of my life.

I gave birth to a healthy little girl six weeks ago and was induced two weeks early. Don't stress yourself out, you can't go back all you can do it keep your glucose levels good now. There was always a chance the baby will have defects, whether your sugars were perfect or not, but if there's anything I've learnt it's to focus on the now. Once you've had your 12 week scan, the chances decrease massively and that continues to decrease every scan.

Good luck with your pregnancy

Thank you so much. Your kind reassurance made me cry (Not that it takes much at the moment, puppies, advert music, wild birds). Congratulations on your baby. And thank you again for the hope.
Hi, I understand completely where you're coming from. Maybe this will help.

I had an unplanned pregnancy, my sugar levels were outrageous and everyone thought there wasn't much hope. Me and my partner both discussed having an abortion as it just didn't seem possible to have a healthy baby.

I powered through, we had a scan almost every month and every month the baby was perfect. I had to work really closely with the diabetic nurses to get my sugars drastically lower and I managed to with their help. My hba1c went from 70 to around 42. It isn't easy, infact it was the hardest 9 months of my life.

I gave birth to a healthy little girl six weeks ago and was induced two weeks early. Don't stress yourself out, you can't go back all you can do it keep your glucose levels good now. There was always a chance the baby will have defects, whether your sugars were perfect or not, but if there's anything I've learnt it's to focus on the now. Once you've had your 12 week scan, the chances decrease massively and that continues to decrease every scan.

Good luck with your pregnancy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm just going to try to put a bit of perspective in. Medical science has done wonderful things for T1 pregnancies. In the mid 50s, when my mother was diagnosed after a DKA, there were no glucometers, and pretty well the only test available was a chemistry experiment urine test which told you how much sugar you'd passed into your urine. My mother had her first T1 pregnancy way way too soon after her diagnosis, and the result, unsurprisingly (we're talking about an initial hba1c in DKA territory), was a stillbirth at full term (after an emergency caesarean when the baby stopped moving). Scans would have told her the pregnancy wasn't viable but of course they weren't available then. But she went on to have two successful pregnancies over the next 7 years (my brother and I).

By the time I was having kids (in the 90s) glucometers but not cgms were available, so I don't know how bad any spikes were, but I had two normalish pregnancies (other than some epic hypos, ugh), and my kids, now in their twenties, are fine. (I could have done without the worry of an extra heart scan that became available for my second child, where they hummed and ha-ed and said there might be an issue but they wouldn't tell me till she was born, and when she was born they did a scan and said she was fine :).)

There's always risk in any pregnancy, I really find it hard to believe that one or two weeks of high readings will do anything significant to that risk. My understanding, for most (diabetic or not) pregnancies, is that the first 12 weeks are the most critical time, if the baby's not meant to be (eg chromosomal abnormality) you usually lose it then. That's why many people don't announce their pregnancies for those first 12 weeks. But the fact that you've passed the 8 week viability test is fantastic news.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. The stats for T1 pregnancies are very good now, because of the excellent antenatal care. If cgms had been around when I was having kids I would probably have gone for a third (and missed out on some memorable hypos:)). If your team thought that there was an issue with the baby they would tell you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithCatherine
Thank you for your response. It's been a great thing to mull over.
I'm just going to try to put a bit of perspective in. Medical science has done wonderful things for T1 pregnancies. In the mid 50s, when my mother was diagnosed after a DKA, there were no glucometers, and pretty well the only test available was a chemistry experiment urine test which told you how much sugar you'd passed into your urine. My mother had her first T1 pregnancy way way too soon after her diagnosis, and the result, unsurprisingly (we're talking about an initial hba1c in DKA territory), was a stillbirth at full term (after an emergency caesarean when the baby stopped moving). Scans would have told her the pregnancy wasn't viable but of course they weren't available then. But she went on to have two successful pregnancies over the next 7 years (my brother and I).

By the time I was having kids (in the 90s) glucometers but not cgms were available, so I don't know how bad any spikes were, but I had two normalish pregnancies (other than some epic hypos, ugh), and my kids, now in their twenties, are fine. (I could have done without the worry of an extra heart scan that became available for my second child, where they hummed and ha-ed and said there might be an issue but they wouldn't tell me till she was born, and when she was born they did a scan and said she was fine :).)

There's always risk in any pregnancy, I really find it hard to believe that one or two weeks of high readings will do anything significant to that risk. My understanding, for most (diabetic or not) pregnancies, is that the first 12 weeks are the most critical time, if the baby's not meant to be (eg chromosomal abnormality) you usually lose it then. That's why many people don't announce their pregnancies for those first 12 weeks. But the fact that you've passed the 8 week viability test is fantastic news.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. The stats for T1 pregnancies are very good now, because of the excellent antenatal care. If cgms had been around when I was having kids I would probably have gone for a third (and missed out on some memorable hypos:)). If your team thought that there was an issue with the baby they would tell you.

Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there,

Congrats on your pregnancy.I’m also T1,pregnant and I have an anxiety disorder so I can relate to some of your concerns.

I know it sounds easy but try not to worry as severe stress can be even more harmful to all pregnant women,especially during the first trimester.

My blood sugar levels were in range before pregnancy but during the first trimester they went absolutely haywire and I had the worst highs and lows that I’ve ever had in 13years of being T1.

It’s definitely hormonal and there’s little you can do apart from catch them early thanks to the cgm and treat them accordingly.I remember being in floods of tears and completely panicked every time I’d get a high or low but babies are incredibly resilient and can withstand a lot more than we give them credit for.

It’s great you’ve had your 8 week scan and that everything seems fine so far.I think the 12week scan will reassure you further once you see your child actually resembling a tiny baby-it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

I’m now 26weeks pregnant and my blood sugar levels settled down considerably after the first trimester.My daily routine is extremely strict though and I’ve had to sacrifice so much to maintain really tight control of my blood sugar levels.But it’s all worth it for a healthy baby in the end.

My baby girl is thriving at the moment despite the many bumps we encountered in the first trimester.As long as you listen to your Diabetes team,monitor often and take your insulin,I’m sure you’ll have a positive outcome but just try not to overly stress yourself-things will get better.

All the best and good luck!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was born in 1992, before CGMs or any of the recent technology to monitor levels became available. I had a normal glucose meter and that was all. Like you my BS levels spiked before I realised I was pregnant, but that's just the hormones as has already been pointed out. It's nothing to do with what you have been eating. I spent most of my pregnancy being hypo on a regular basis and ended up in A and E on a glucose drip three times.

In spite of everything I ended up with a healthy baby boy, with no medical problems. He still has no medical problems and now his biggest problem is his student loan. Don't give up hope and try to keep calm. Best wishes from me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I had highs and quite a few of lows throughout my pregnancy and I was hardly taking any Insulin at times. Hormones play a big part and will affect your body. I had my daughter aged 42 1/2 years, it was my best diabetes moment ever and she will be 19 tomorrow <3
Congratulations and wishing you all for best for a safe and a healthy delivery, take care x

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @FaithCatherine

Congratulations
You shouldn’t worry at all I got pregnant, went for my 12 week scan when they started taking interest in my sugars! They were off the scale, at that time I knew nothing about being diabetic but they said as I was so early into my pregnancy the chances were I was type 1, but they couldn’t test until after the birth. The long and short was I am type 1 and my sugars must have been sky high for at least a year before the pregnancy if not more, and that didn’t affect my two little gorgeous girls who I delivered a little early at 32 weeks but with no complications, that was 10 years ago, how time flies xx
I am sure everything will work out for you, enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can and all the best xx

Louisa44

Hi,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and terrified. Before I knew I was pregnant (since the day conceived pretty much) and for about a week after I found out, I was suffering from outlandish highs. The worst went up to 20! I rang and spoke to my diabetic nurse several times and she wasn't very helpful. I then found out I was pregnant and she confirmed the highs were likely caused by the hormones. It settled down, and now I'm struggling the other way a bit but am receiving much better care at weekly appointments at a diabetic antenatal team. But I am terrified I did irreparable damage on those early weeks. I've never had such resistant highs and I am (uselessly of course) so mad at myself and my old Diabetic nurse that we didn't twig sooner. I've been so down about it, I even considered abortion today as the guilt and worry are killing me. We tried for this baby for 2.5 years and i want it so badly but I feel terrible. When will I know that everything is ok? We had a viability scan at 8 weeks and saw the heart beat, but now I'm so scared. Did anyone have similar and how was their babies? I spent all afternoon in floods of tears, and have an anxiety disorder anyway and I just wish I had a window to the womb to make sure the hitchhiker is doing ok. I want to tell her I am so so sorry for being such a **** mum already. Sorry for the emotional blergh. I just needed to reach out.
Hi,

Hi
Hi,

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy!
I was diagnosed with Type 1 during my first pregnancy, so probably had high blood sugars for several weeks prior to being diagnosed. I worried for most of the pregnancy but my son was born healthy and is now a teenager!
Please try not to worry, the most important thing is that you’re doing everything you can now to ensure your baby is healthy. Try and enjoy your pregnancy - not easy I know, but worrying won’t change anything. You will have lots of scans which will reassure you and just take each day and each week as it comes. I am sure your baby will be absolutely fine. Take care x