Recently diagnosed as Prediabetic

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm Terry. I was diagnosed as Prediabetic about two months ago, with an HbA1c level of 42 mmol/m. Had it not been for the Practice Nurse at my GP surgery, I may never have known. She was monitoring my blood pressure (which I am under medication to control) and I mentioned I'd not had my cholesterol checked for a few years (which I also am under medication for). She suggested a full blood work-up which revealed my HbA1c level of 42.

My practice nurse advised a healthier diet and gave me the usual sheet of paper outlining the 'good' and 'bad' food I should eat or avoid. She also managed to get me on a Diabetes Prevention Program rum by ICS Health & Wellbeing, run on behalf of the NHS. I attended the first of seven sessions last week, with a class full of Prediabetics.

I learned about glucose, insulin, fat, liver and pancreas functions, etc, etc. Which was good! However, once I started surfing the web for this kind of information, I was flooded with all sorts of advice about diet tips, life-style changes, ketosis, intermittent fasting, Low Carb/High Fat, amongst other topics.

I joined this Forum today and realised I'm amongst a lot of people in a similar (and in some cases a lot worse) situation as I am. Hopefully I can educate myself, be insired by and be as successful as, many of the people here.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Terry.
This is a good place as there are all sorts here, and as you've been lucky enough to be diagnosed early there is every chance that you can be back in normal numbers at your next test. You might even find that just being a bit abstemious with the carbs will give you every appearance of being cured - others have done it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm Terry. I was diagnosed as Prediabetic about two months ago, with an HbA1c level of 42 mmol/m. Had it not been for the Practice Nurse at my GP surgery, I may never have known. She was monitoring my blood pressure (which I am under medication to control) and I mentioned I'd not had my cholesterol checked for a few years (which I also am under medication for). She suggested a full blood work-up which revealed my HbA1c level of 42.

My practice nurse advised a healthier diet and gave me the usual sheet of paper outlining the 'good' and 'bad' food I should eat or avoid. She also managed to get me on a Diabetes Prevention Program rum by ICS Health & Wellbeing, run on behalf of the NHS. I attended the first of seven sessions last week, with a class full of Prediabetics.

I learned about glucose, insulin, fat, liver and pancreas functions, etc, etc. Which was good! However, once I started surfing the web for this kind of information, I was flooded with all sorts of advice about diet tips, life-style changes, ketosis, intermittent fasting, Low Carb/High Fat, amongst other topics.

I joined this Forum today and realised I'm amongst a lot of people in a similar (and in some cases a lot worse) situation as I am. Hopefully I can educate myself, be insired by and be as successful as, many of the people here.
I have been in a similar situation as you. And reducing the level of carb intake radically helps enormously.