Blood sugar levels not going anywhere

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting a bit fed up with my blood sugar levels not going anywhere other than either staying the same or slightly higher.

My morning average seems to be about 9 now from 7. I've been on glimpiride and pravastatin for some time now and it does seem that my medication isn't working.

I've tried introduce of things like fenugreek tablets but they don't seem to have any affect either tbh. I'll persist with them but just want to know other people's views and thoughts.

My diet and exercise is good I've not changed that and so at a loss really.

D

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You probably want to let people know what your diet actually is, as what many think is a good diet is in fact not very good for T2 diabetics

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting a bit fed up with my blood sugar levels not going anywhere other than either staying the same or slightly higher.

My morning average seems to be about 9 now from 7. I've been on glimpiride and pravastatin for some time now and it does seem that my medication isn't working.

I've tried introduce of things like fenugreek tablets but they don't seem to have any affect either tbh. I'll persist with them but just want to know other people's views and thoughts.

D
The statin could be driving your bloodsugars up. They influence bloodsugars badly and can even cause T2 to begin with. (Dunno what type you are, your profile says "other"). The statin is for your cholesterol, not your bloodsugars. And most diabetics are put on statins as a matter of course, not because they actually need them. (And whether people without famillial high cholesterol actually ever need them is up for debate.) So that's one thing to look into. The diet comment, as @Rokaab states, is indeed a bit, you know.... Dubious. If you do your whole weat, fruits, pasta, spuds and rice and whatever, then you're up the creek, basically. Because a diabetic of any kind, will have their bloodsugars go up on that. What does an average day's food & drink look like to you? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might be worth a read eh...

Good luck!
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Assuming you are type 2, as we are in the type 2 sub forum, we need to know what you’re eating in a typical day to be able to help.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

D
I was prescribed Pravastatin and my hba1c increased from 48 to 54 but once I came off them for other side effects it dropped to non diabetic levels.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replies I am T2 been so since 2014

My typical daily diet will be

Breakfast full fat Greek yogurt with some nuts
Lunch typical chicken or tuna salad or perhaps veg chilli cauli rice
Teatime could be fish/white meat and veg followed by coffee or yoghurt n berries

I snack on lots of nuts different types

I go to the gym every other day and cycle for about 3 hrs over the weekend. I do have a beer at the weekend as well but nothing more than a couple.

Darren

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked the carbs in the lots of nuts? Your diet as reported seems good and you ought to see some results on it - though you seem to be avoiding red meat for some reason.
Hopefully the cycling helps negate the beer.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replies I am T2 been so since 2014

My typical daily diet will be

Breakfast full fat Greek yogurt with some nuts
Lunch typical chicken or tuna salad or perhaps veg chilli cauli rice
Teatime could be fish/white meat and veg followed by coffee or yoghurt n berries

I snack on lots of nuts different types

I go to the gym every other day and cycle for about 3 hrs over the weekend. I do have a beer at the weekend as well but nothing more than a couple.

Darren
Sounds good, save for the beer... And some nuts are better than others. https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Alcohol-grams-per-keto-beer.jpg and https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts might help. I really would look into whether you really, truly need the statins... I think they may be tripping you up.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've checked nuts and carbs seem fine, o usually eat pecan, peanuts and Brazil . Red meat, not that keen on it tbh.
Have you checked the carbs in the lots of nuts? Your diet as reported seems good and you ought to see some results on it - though you seem to be avoiding red meat for some reason.
Hopefully the cycling helps negate the beer.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you ever checked for LADA? I appreciate 5 years is a long honeymoon but if you’ve been this low carb for all of them it may have prolonged it. Just a thought

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never thought to be fair. I've got an appointment at the docs next Friday. I'll do some reading and see what he says

I have a similar issue after a year. I have reduced carbs to inside 45g per meal, upped my fat intake to compensate. Diagnosed HbA1c at 48, so borderline, but only managed to get down to 45 over the year - my GP seems to think it is rare to put it into remission. I now weigh 67kg, 1.71m, BMI 22.9. Maybe I need to be happy to be in the pre diabetic range, but it is hard work!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a similar issue after a year. I have reduced carbs to inside 45g per meal, upped my fat intake to compensate. Diagnosed HbA1c at 48, so borderline, but only managed to get down to 45 over the year - my GP seems to think it is rare to put it into remission. I now weigh 67kg, 1.71m, BMI 22.9. Maybe I need to be happy to be in the pre diabetic range, but it is hard work!!
I had to cut out almost all carbs to go from 55 to 44 and then keep them really low to keep it down that low. I’m talking 20-40g a day as opposed to your 135 a day. I’m not alone or unusual either. Maybe you need to go lower than you have to achieve lower numbers. Take a look at
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ and see if it gives you any pointers and come back and ask questions. If it’s too much to go lower and you aren’t happy then exercise or medication are other choices maybe

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

45g carbs per meal is rather a lot. I believe you will find many folk on here eat around 45g per day rather than per meal.
Perhaps you could try using a blood glucose meter to test before you eat and an hour and 2 hours after first bite to see what your food choices are doing to your levels. If you don't have a meter, I urge you to buy one. It will really help you.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting to 45g per day is hard work. Especially when there are lots of hidden items and it's never an exact science
45g carbs per meal is rather a lot. I believe you will find many folk on here eat around 45g per day rather than per meal.
Perhaps you could try using a blood glucose meter to test before you eat and an hour and 2 hours after first bite to see what your food choices are doing to your levels. If you don't have a meter, I urge you to buy one. It will really help you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting to 45g per day is hard work. Especially when there are lots of hidden items and it's never an exact science
You mentioned lots of snacking on nuts. Could there be more carbs than you realise? Have you tried any intermittent fasting? Lots of snacking isn’t a great idea for t2. More filling bigger meals is better.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I didn't find it so, but I never snack (I never have done - I was brought up on 3 meals a day and stuck to it). I have zero carbs for breakfast other than a drop of milk in my tea, a few more at lunch, the rest for evening meal. I agree it isn't an exact science, it is all approximate, but not far out.

If you try some intermittent fasting, it will help you. The easiest way is to have nothing but fluids after evening meal and then skip breakfast. Eating within a 6 or 7 hour window works wonders. Personally, I do have breakfast these days, but just a single soft boiled egg followed by a mug of tea. Then nothing other than tea and water till lunch time. Then nothing other than tea and water till evening meal, then nothing till breakfast other than water.

Mike Sixx

D
Human body reacts to many things with hormones and many hormones increase blood glugose levels to boost you.
Things like stress, lack of sleep, fever/infections. Things like small infection in your gums that you not even notice could raise levels. I notice my BG raises one just when I am stressing about my diabetes. Also there is for some people a chance you are not easing as good as you think. unless you are real DB dietitian guru.
I would recommend consulting your diabetes doctor for changing you medication.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to average about 10-15g per day most of those come from dairy and a few raspberries sometimes...
Just eat meat virtually zero carb.