Type 1 Dry skin on feet

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So as the title suggests I have quite bad skin on my feet. I moisturise but the skin is still quite dry. I was thinking of doing an exfoliating foot peel and then if the dry skin continues after that purchasing a diabetic foot cream.
I did go to a doctor a couple of months ago and as my feet had been sweating slightly my feet were moist so didn't look as dry as they can be.
Any advice?
Thanks Sam.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Find a local podiatrist. They may well be able to give you some advice.

Reactions: sammi4688

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve suffered the same issue for 20+yrs.
The only solution is to get them clear of dead skin and then moisturise, and do it again using the most intensive stuff you can get. If you don’t get the dead stuff off the moisturise can’t get where it’s needed. And keep doing it. As soon as I stop it all comes back. It’s relentless and just seems to be a permanent issue.

I’ve tried the peels and they do nothing to mine worthwhile. The cotton or silicone socks (or partial socks) do help. If it’s really bad a podiatrist told me to tape them up for a few days as it allows them to heal and relieves the pain. I think it stops the wounds gaping as I walk as well as softening it up. (Think how skin goes that’s had a plaster on a bit too long. White wrinkly and softer.)

edited so as not to mislead and to add : sorry this works for me but as others say go via a podiatrist in the first place as I did.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
See a podiatrist.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only solution is to sand them down. There’s loads of options, find which is best for you. Pumice stone and emery like foot boards are my choices, also there’s battery operated emery rollers and cheese grater type things -eek!-
A lot of these rough skin removal gadgets warn against using them if you have diabetes. I think Sammi’s best bet is to see a podiatrist to begin with then invest in a heavy duty moisturiser. I just use Boots own brand Foot Cream but my feet aren’t bad at all. There’s one I’ve heard recommended here called Flexitol I think.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Treatment depends if the callus is thick and crusty, or thin and dry. Thick and crusty see a podiatrist and have it debrided flat, then use a moisturizing cream that has urea in it, 10-15% urea is a goodly amount and use it daily. Thin and crusty callus just go straight to the moisturizing cream. If no improvement in a few months you may have a low grade fungal infection hanging about on the skin.

A little bit of callus can actually protect the skin if its a high load/friction area but it should flexible, not dry and cracking.

Small nerve neuropathy in diabetes affects the function of oil glands, and natural urea content, in the skin and leads to dry feet, so that is worth considering as well.

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses. Never actually seen a podiatrist before so will try to be referred by my GP or the next time I visit my diabetic team x