Hello everyone

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm Tom--I live in London with my wife and two children and work for Wellcome Collection, part of Wellcome (a biomedical charity) doing digital things.

I've recently i.e. last month developed Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 47 (harumph!) following a stomach bug of some sort I picked up from swimming in a river on a camping trip. I ended up in hospital for 4 days with DKA, which fwiw is something to be avoided.

I'm now getting use to my new normal.

Reactions: Circuspony

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Wellcome is a great place to work and a warren to explore. They helped me out on some work stuff.
Your new normal will soon just be normal - and there is some great tech to help when you are ready. In the meantime ask any questions and get the basics sorted.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@derivadow . Welcome to the forum and also the wonderful world of T1 diabetes.
Good to hear that you are getting use to your new normal.
I have to admit that even after 28 yrs sometimes things are far from normal where T1 is concerned.:)
Personally I believe that positivity is the best way to live with T1 and you sound a positive guy, things are looking good already.;).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @derivadow and welcome to the forum :)

Lots of new friends here with many years of experience to help support you on your way.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diakat, thanks for the links and good to hear we were able to help with your work :). Getting my hands on some of that tech is on my todo list! At least Freestyle Libre's look like a good idea... before that I also need to work out what to do about my insulin when travelling across time zones (but that's probably another thread).

hi @therower, yeah I'm trying to stay positive--I reckon that I can't do much about being T1 so I might as well get on with what I can control even if that does mean I can't drink orange juice (and coffee) for breakfast :(

hi @Robinredbreast

hi @Juicyj :) it seems like a nice community here.

Lillyse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the type 1-club! :joyful:
You can find so much useful info here! I've had type 1 for 11 years now, but am still learning a lot of new things, especially since finding this forum. Hope you'll like it here!

Reactions: derivadow