annual review blood sugar gone up

davehead28

hi all used to be a member not been on for ages. type2 for quite a few years . ive lost nearly 4 stone im walking 2/3times a week 10 miles plus feeling good im taking metformin .i cut down tablets so went for annual review yesterday.blood gone up to 55 hb quite shocked. spoke to wife we think its because i eating to much fruit. eating 5plus apples or pears a day could this be the problem. i do low carb in the week and weekends eat a few treats . was just having a read what would be the best fruits to eat or swap to cuecumbers to snack at work any ideas or tips would be most helpful thanks dave

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That level of fruit consumption is not ideal for diabetics. So small wonder with the reading as they're full of sugars.

Avocados are FAR better.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dave and welcome back!
Can you give us a run down of a typical week day menu and weekend menu too.
I think it would be wise to change to berries and reduce the amount of fruit you are eating, your five apples or pears per day comes to around 50g carbs, so not allowing for any other food just your fruit is a little more carbs than I eat per day. Of course the definition of low carb varies and the level individuals can tolerate varies too, but here’s Diet Dr’s definitions:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-low-carb-is-low-carb
As your HbA1c has risen you could do with dropping your carb level. Also doing some pre and post meal testing could help you assess how different foods are affecting you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all used to be a member not been on for ages. type2 for quite a few years . ive lost nearly 4 stone im walking 2/3times a week 10 miles plus feeling good im taking metformin .i cut down tablets so went for annual review yesterday.blood gone up to 55 hb quite shocked. spoke to wife we think its because i eating to much fruit. eating 5plus apples or pears a day could this be the problem. i do low carb in the week and weekends eat a few treats . was just having a read what would be the best fruits to eat or swap to cuecumbers to snack at work any ideas or tips would be most helpful thanks dave
HI @davehead28 ,

Sorry to say, there's nothing low carb about that many apples or pears... There's about 12 to15 grams carbs or thereabouts in one of those, and you're having five? That's a lot... Also because as a T2 you're prone to fatty liver disease, and fructose makes that a lot worse. So you really do need to cut down. Avocado's are good, as are berries in moderation, (preferably with something fat, like clotted cream or full fat greek yoghurt). Starfruit's alright too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits might help. But I do think if you reduce your intake drastically, your HbA1c will be a whole lot better, 3 months from now.

Cucumbers would be alright, celery sticks and such, maybe cheese, nuts in moderation.... Pork scratchings maybe? There's enough you could snack on that wouldn't raise bloodsugars as horribly as fruits would.
Good luck!
Jo

M

Member496333

The problem with high fruit consumption is not just the glucose and its measurable effect in the blood, but the fructose and its incrementally immeasurable effect. Fructose increases insulin resistance in the liver. In high quantities it can therefore be a bit of a silent assassin for a T2. It's also a leptin inhibitor (satiety hormone) so won't do much to curb hunger.

Basically, the sugar in fruit is chemically identical to table sugar (glucose + fructose = sucrose). Albeit not necessarily in the same ratios. It's really not ideal food for a type 2, no matter what the lexicon of diabetes management would have us believe.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I gave up my daily banana not long after diagnosis as through testing my BG realised that they could put it up by up by 8 and would take several hours to recover. However after my last blood test my potassium level is almost non existent and I've to have another blood test on Thursday to see if it was a fluke or not. I do have the odd apple or satsuma but not daily. I know low potassium could indicate lots of other things that I don't want to be diagnosed with so I'm blaming the banana (lack of) until told differently by my GP.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat some sort of fruit most days - but not every day now. Sometimes it's an apple, but I try now never to buy big ones. Sometimes it's raspberries, blackberries or blueberries. Sometimes it's melon. But I've stopped eating them as a snack food.

For a snack food, try gherkins or pickled onions with a bit of cheese.