What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

No ouch about it, if you want to eat you pay the prices.
@Tipetoo Is in Australia, the conversion rate makes $350 into £188 for a fortnight’s food for 2? people.

Sorry Tipetoo, not sure how many people you are feeding?
This is for four people as our grandsons are staying with us, they do not pay board but bring home fruit and veggies if they go past farms with a produce stall at the front gate with reject stuff for sale.

We also have a couple of pigs, and a small flock of goats that get knocked on the head when we want more meat in the freezer.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Aha! I do have a blow torch - never used. I asked for it last Christmas when there was a bit of chat going on re creme brûlée but then I stopped bothering with puddings much.
I will dig it out and have a go, although I have a terrible track record for burning myself.
If you don't have a flame you can use a grill plate and cook that way on stove top it helps give it a smokey flavor I use an old grill plate not one pictured just for cooking my eggplant. also on a BBQ works or oven but stab a few holes so no explosion
20191015_172237.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Aha! I do have a blow torch - never used. I asked for it last Christmas when there was a bit of chat going on re creme brûlée but then I stopped bothering with puddings much.
I will dig it out and have a go, although I have a terrible track record for burning myself.
Not sure about a blow torch maybe after cooked use blowtorch to char it good luck though

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be very, very careful not to scorch kitchen surfaces. Our stainless steel prep bench is great for such things.

Thanks for the warning, I probably would have done. I might have to take them outside to do.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't have a flame you can use a grill plate and cook that way on stove top it helps give it a smokey flavor I use an old grill plate not one pictured just for cooking my eggplant. also on a BBQ works or oven but stab a few holes so no explosion View attachment 36225

I have something like this I use for steak. Good tip thanks.

Reactions: annabell1

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After some advice, please, all.

Have rashly agreed to provide some halloween baked goodies at work. Low carb/keto of course. What can I use (aside from moulds etc. from Lakeland) to create garish colours without involving sugar and/or complex cooking gadgets (I have a stick blender and attachments and multi-chopper). Thanks!

I'm heading close to Lakeland after work, so can pick up stuff.........

Cheers.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

This is for four people as our grandsons are staying with us, they do not pay board but bring home fruit and veggies if they go past farms with a produce stall at the front gate with reject stuff for sale.

We also have a couple of pigs, and a small flock of goats that get knocked on the head when we want more meat in the freezer.

I was using the wrong conversion rate. That works out at less than £25 a week per person, so not so much ouch, as well done for managing to feed 4 people on so little. I am only managing £35 per week per person. Don't have any of our own produce any more, which is one issue but I thought I was doing pretty well. Higher carb would be cheaper here, but so much worse, for me anyway. Pity, because I love bread and I love chips and all those bad for me things.

Today, it will be eggs with some cheese. Probably omelette, that's the easiest. I'll try to eat as little as is polite when I go out this evening to keep carbs and calories as low as I can.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I just replied to this post, but it has disappeared on me, so if it comes up twice - apologies.
I was using the wrong conversion rate so about £25 a week per person is what you are spending. No ouch about it, more like well done. The best I can manage is £35 per person. Of course, I do miss not having our own produce any more. Not only can I not manage livestock any more but it has become uneconomic because to kill anything other than a chicken, the live animal has to be sent to the mainland to kill and then be brought back across the Minch. Very expensive. Here, eating higher carb and less protein is quite a lot cheaper. Trouble is, it makes me ill so is not an option.

Today's food will be eggs and cheese - probably an omelette. I will have to be very careful tonight and eat as little as possible of the bad for me stuff so as not to offend my hostess. If I can get away with just a cup of tea, I will.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have rashly agreed to provide some halloween baked goodies at work. Low carb/keto of course. What can I use (aside from moulds etc. from Lakeland) to create garish colours without involving sugar and/or complex cooking gadgets (I have a stick blender and attachments and multi-chopper). Thanks!

Cheers.

Lakeland might have spider web stencils, otherwise it’d be easy to draw yourself if you bought black food colouring.
You could make any of your tried and trusted cakes - like the choc olive oil cake, then cover the top with icing made from finely ground erythritol ( I’m sure @maglil55 has mentioned you can do this) and water. Once set paint the web on with black ( concentric circles then draw lines like spokes through the circles)
(If the icing doesn’t work - and I suggest trying a small amount first - you could just buy ready rolled icing and peel it off your slice)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the M&S seasonal section (@DCUKMod posted the link a few days ago).
https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/party-food-and-sandwiches
there are fantastic ideas - like cheese or fathead pastry as mummy bandages,
As for colour - raw orange pepper could be useful. Also red pepper/tomato for blood.

Are you going sweet or savoury?

How about dead mens fingers... cooked mini sausages, with slivers of almond (as fingernails) stuck on with tomato or chilli sauce

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Cheers.

Lakeland sell cutters in various halloween shapes. You can make cookies, or your normal cakes and cut shapes from sugar paste. You wouldn't be able to eat these toppings, but others could. You can buy the sugar paste in different colours - black, green, red, yellow, blue and from those you can mix colours to decorate your cakes or cookies.

I've never used artificial sweeteners, so I don't know if you can use any of those to make icing or a sugar paste. You can get natural colours, if you prefer those. Lakeland might have those, I'm not sure.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lakeland might have spider web stencils, otherwise it’d be easy to draw yourself if you bought black food colouring.
You could make any of your tried and trusted cakes - like the choc olive oil cake, then cover the top with icing made from finely ground erythritol ( I’m sure @maglil55 has mentioned you can do this) and water. Once set paint the web on with black ( concentric circles then draw lines like spokes through the circles)
(If the icing doesn’t work - and I suggest trying a small amount first - you could just buy ready rolled icing and peel it off your slice)

Thanks. Stencils might work - will have a look. Also an idea about the ready rolled icing - might also stop me eating too much!

Have a look at the M&S seasonal section (@DCUKMod posted the link a few days ago).
https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/party-food-and-sandwiches
there are fantastic ideas - like cheese or fathead pastry as mummy bandages,
As for colour - raw orange pepper could be useful. Also red pepper/tomato for blood.

Are you going sweet or savoury?

How about dead mens fingers... cooked mini sausages, with slivers of almond (as fingernails) stuck on with tomato or chilli sauce

Was thinking sweet, but some savoury would be a good idea - quite like the sausage ideas. Had forgotten about the M&S stuff too.

Lakeland sell cutters in various halloween shapes. You can make cookies, or your normal cakes and cut shapes from sugar paste. You wouldn't be able to eat these toppings, but others could. You can buy the sugar paste in different colours - black, green, red, yellow, blue and from those you can mix colours to decorate your cakes or cookies.

I've never used artificial sweeteners, so I don't know if you can use any of those to make icing or a sugar paste. You can get natural colours, if you prefer those. Lakeland might have those, I'm not sure.

Cookie cutters would be a good idea. Never made cookies before, but sure I could try!

Thanks all, some good ideas.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cheers.

Cookie cutters could be your friend, for any of the cookies/shortbread recipes? Similarly with moulds for fat bombs? Pumpkin or the like?

https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/21-low-carb-halloween-recipes/ - I love the Paleo Spooky Pizza eyeballs.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-chocolate-peanut-butter-spider-cookies/ - Lakeland often sell the eyes in little tubs. All though they are a sugar-fest, there's not much to them? The drizzling chocolate could be done from a spoon.

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/25-low-carb-halloween-treat-recipes/

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cookie cutters could be your friend, for any of the cookies/shortbread recipes? Similarly with moulds for fat bombs? Pumpkin or the like?

https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/21-low-carb-halloween-recipes/ - I love the Paleo Spooky Pizza eyeballs.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-chocolate-peanut-butter-spider-cookies/ - Lakeland often sell the eyes in little tubs. All though they are a sugar-fest, there's not much to them? The drizzling chocolate could be done from a spoon.

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/25-low-carb-halloween-treat-recipes/

Those are FAB!
But someone stole my almond fingernail idea. :mad:;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not eaten celeriac I look at it in the shops thinking what can I make with this but that's how far it goes
Sorry if someone has already answered but I'm miles behind. Treat celeriac as you would potato. More or less anything you can do with potato you can do with celeriac. I've use it for oven chips - spicy, coated in a low carb crumb, just salted and oiled. Deep fried, mash, dauphinoise, sliced and sauteed and fritters with a LC batter.

Reactions: Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spent today indoors with a woeful Dennis
Today’s menu:
NE1 (at 11ish)fried eggs, bacon and mushrooms. CWC
NE2 (5:30) DD chicken Cordon Bleu with salad and h/m mayo. 1glass red.
Lots of tea throughout the day.