Wedding with type 1 diabetes

Molmac1

Hi, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5 months ago and have just got engaged. I’ve started wedding dress shopping but not sure what I should do on my wedding day with testing my diabetes and injecting insulin. I use the freestyle libre from time to time but don’t really want that on show on my wedding day. I’m looking at fitted dresses so not sure how I’ll be able to inject. Any tips or suggestions from past brides would be greatly appreciate

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Will it have sleeves? Because you can inject into arms.
How fitted? If you can lift the skirt a bit lower legs are accessible.
I have also injected into my shoulders when in jumpsuits.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Enjoy your day first and last!
Can't really see what your issue will be, if YOU need a time-out who the hell is going to complain or blame you?
Surely you can just inject through a fitted dress IF you really need to.....
As for the Libre, that is obviously your decision ......
you could always save old ones and make anyone with short sleeves wear one as well!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Molmac1 and congratulations too :)

You can work round this so try not to worry, as Diakat has said there are alternative areas you can inject into, thighs are a good place, you can also site the Libre on other areas too so on the thighs also, this is where I would stick it, ideal for a wedding dress too, but vital on your big day to save you stressing about bg levels.

It is manageable so try not to stress, perhaps safe to run a fraction higher than normal so you have more leverage too, and good luck.

Reactions: Diakat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could try wearing the Libre on your leg, well hidden by the dress. I guess it doesn't have sleeves (or your Libre wouldn't be on view), so you could inject in your arm.
Congratulations on your wedding to be!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or if you prefer injecting in your belly you could have a little flap made from an ornamental flower or such, which you can lift to inject through.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, congratulations on your engagement @Molmac1 .

I'm not an insulin user so can't comment on your arrangements for injecting, however, I have worn Libre sensors on alternative sites. I've used both my outer chest, near armpit level, well over to the side, in order to hide it beneath a bikini top on holiday. I have also gone for under my panty "waist"line, well off centre.

Both worked well in bikinis, but I almost tore off one under my pants, when pulling my jeans down to use the loo. That position also looked a bit odd as I discretely passed my scanner over my groin area. :meh:

Personally? I'd get on and choose my wedding dress, then work out where to put the sensor for the day.

Good luck with it all, and I wish you both a happy future together.

Reactions: Diakat