Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

Kenny

Ehlana said:
Kenny, I am going to presume that you do not have any knowledge of PCOS and how it can affect on your metabolism.
Presume away Ehlana. My ignorance is more extensive than my knowledge.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
:lol: My ignorance is more extensive than my knowledge. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you up too Kenny on or off the wagon ?

pixor

Just to let you know, I am using Atkins shakes, which are low carb (6g, 2g net), and still taking metformin, and have managed to lose 6 kilos and reduce my blood sugar from 14 mmol/l to under 6 mmol/l.

It was partly that my GP wanted me to go onto gliclizide as well, that prompted me to go on the diet. The gliclizide packets lie unopened in my cupboard :)

I think the reason you were advised to stop taking the metformin was in case your blood sugars dropped very quickly and you had a hypo.

bowell

Dislikes
Im off the lot now Metformin 2500mg Glicazide 280mg and Januvia 100mg

Think its due to Metformin stopping the liver from dumping glucose :?:
WHY GP the wanted me to stop metformin the week before

GP also told me to drop the Glicazide soon as BG starting to drop I did this over the first five days
I stopped the final diabetic tablet Januvia on the Sunday with no ill affects hypo or hyper

All this week i have been diabetic drug free with good numbers SEEMS TO GOOD

KEEP THINKING WHEN WILL THE BUBBLE BURST :roll:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
D'you know what I've been wondering? I wonder if carrying the extra weight (possibly the glucose/water in the liver that NDX explained) is a contibuting factor to metformin intolerance???

Metformin IS one of the good drugs (Atkins & Bernstein say so) - so I think I'd be happy to go onto daily metformin if I can handle it.

Maybe a Q for the Doc. at some point...

bowell

Dislikes
I also if this ends all ok may still wish to go back on the metformin if only for its good points

early days yet 2nd week not over yet

Up late to day feel like **** with pain today had a bad night with pain, hit 2x normal dose morphine just to get me out of the bed into wheelchair Taken ages to get me into my chair down stairs totality knackerd

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Big (gentle) hugs, Bob!

Patch, I only had about 2 weeks 'problems' on metformin before I settled to it - and I weighed nearly 20 stone when I started it :shock: . So weight isn't the only factor.

Mind you, I am well known for having a cast-iron digestive system - about the only thing guaranteed to upset me is well-past-its-sell-by-date Brie! :shock:

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not saying that the additional weight is what might cause you to be met. intolerant - I'm saying maybe it's the glucogen stored in your liver? I'm quite certain that the first 10lbs I lost in WK1 were down to the glucogen being used up, and not replenished.

Just another theory...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hmmm. I wonder if "extreme" low carbing (ie, less than 30g per day) decreases the liver's stores of glucogen?

Much of the first loss on 'conventional' diets is water - maybe the glucogen goes with it, on a low-carb?

Viv 8)

Mr Cool does look smug, you're quite right!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Viv said:
Hmmm. I wonder if "extreme" low carbing (ie, less than 30g per day) decreases the liver's stores of glucogen?

Phoenix has a theory on this - the T2 liver CAN push out glucose/glucogen at a rate of 3 times that of a normal person when glucose/glucogen is required.

That's possibly why you need FAT with your protein. I can confirm that when I tried a protein ONLY shake (ie - no carbs) I got a +1Hr BG reading that was HIGHER than my readings +1Hr after a 20g of carbs slim shake...

bowell

Dislikes
First few lbs lost could also be that fat around liver and pancreas ?
as the diet was Org study was trying to copy ???

I have MRI scan booked on 2nd sept I will see I have any leaner organs?
Already have an existing MRIs form last year ref back on

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bob - I'd love to know about your MRI's re: fat around the organs. Please keep us posted!

bowell

Dislikes
Well if it does I will be hard to stop me Crowing :p
I will have to wait few days for results (someone to look at them)

We (royal)the wife ,,Will also ask for a copy of scan on DVD and the reports
My Neck ,Brain ,Lower Back are also being done at the same time

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I can say, with confidence, that they will find a brain!!

Doug

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm going for an MRI scan on Sept 4th (a Sunday :shock: ). James Cook, in Middlesborough; a 2-hour journey.

The scan's on my lumbar region. I wonder, if I ask them nicely, whether they'll look at the fat round my organs for me as well?

I'll also ask for copies/DVD. Thanks for the tip - I didn't know you could! though I have a nice home movie of the arthroscopy on my right knee which I have to confess I've never watched :lol: .

Viv 8)

PS In the original Newcastle study report, do they give the start and finish weights of the participants? I haven't had time to read the full report.

bowell

Dislikes
You have to give them the blank DVD was a small charge last time we asked £11.00

simsmiller

Patch said:
I am VERY chuffed. Just got the challenge of this weekend (not going away), to deal with. I find it challenging because weekends are usually when I treat myself with food.

As long as I can hold out until Monday morning (my REAL treat - weighing in!) I'll be fine.

Weekend away is NEXT weekend. I'm a little concerned about how the booze is going to effect me, so I'll be drinking bottles instead of pints, and making them LAAAAST...

Hi Patch
I've just joined this forum and have been reading your diary with some admiration. I'm planning to start the diet off the back of the Newcastle study. Having some difficulty in getting hold of Optifast - just wondering if Optislim has the same nutritional value - would welcome your thoughts together with any general advice.
Best wishes
Andrew

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrew,
I've ONLY EVER used Optislim. Get 'em on Lloyds Online (they're v. cheap at the moment - 99p ea.) and there are many more flavours available on line than in store.

Feel free top PM me with any direct Q's.

bowell

Dislikes
Both the Optislim.from Loyds or the Slim-Fast from Boots & most supermarkets
are so close to the study not worth the effort and cost to chase down the Optifast

I have tried both i prefer the Slim-fast as not so grainy plus works out cheaper at around 50p a meal
Optimism works out around 90p a meal comes in small foil packets my local Loyds never has much in
Slim-Fast comes in a small drum with plastic spoon make sure you have the right volume

Both you will need to mix with water and not milk to stick to the study of NO dairy products

I know there are four of us using the slim-fast meals
Top tip have them chilled leave a jug water in the fridge to make them up
seem to taste nicer like that

See below for all the info you need prices meal make up and also the Newcastle diet sheet
GP notes on dropping your meds

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23135