What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - 1 rasher bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, 3 slices black pudding, 1 cup Russian caravan tea, 1 cup black, unsweetened coffee (freshly ground)

Lunch - Salad; 1 egg, ten/dozen olives, small lettuce, handful of mixed green salad leaves, some more black pudding, 4 small tomatoes, salad dressing, salt.

Handful of peanuts, bag of crisps (sigh), another coffee, several cups of Russian caravan, small serving of cheese, five small crackers (another sigh)

Yet to eat evening meal but it will be meatballs in tomato and herb sauce and tomato salad, maybe a yogurt and a glass of Zinfandel (sigh, sigh, sigh)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast; pork (emptying freezer) and apple sauce sandwich for lunch - skinny bread; mackerel and avocado salad with 1/2 CCB for evening meal. I may have to ask for several mugs of tea to be taken into account your honour. Food ok and analysis looks ok. Cutting a lawn was always going to be a hard act for lc food to match but salad came close. Hope everyone found some pleasure somewhere in their day.

Last edited:

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No breakfast; pork (emptying freezer) and apple sauce sandwich for lunch - skinny bread; mackerel and avocado salad with 1/2 CCB for evening meal. I may have to ask for several mugs of tea to be taken into account your honour. Food ok and analysis looks ok. Cutting a lawn was always going to be a hard act for lc food to match but salad came close. Hope everyone found some pleasure somewhere in their day.
One cup porridge with mixed seeds and chia
Breadsticks and nuts grazed on throughout work day
Plain fish peas and three chips

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 @Brunneria @DCUKMod @Annb Halloween update. I’ve gone for a ghost cookie cutter, bought some orange and black food dye for frosting (black cream?!) and then found some ready made toppings at Hotel Chocolat, one set of which will be suitable for me - 3.3g carbs per mini dark chocolate vampire! Will use to decorate cakes. Also some white chocolate eyes, which I won’t eat. Considering getting some of the psyllium husk that turns purple for something savoury, or even lemon drizzle cake!

ACCEDE87-DFA5-4F71-A500-5272169B1DC2.jpeg
F9B3D318-0AE9-4DB6-B644-83864CD8E42B.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 @Brunneria @DCUKMod @Annb Halloween update. I’ve gone for a ghost cookie cutter, bought some orange and black food dye for frosting (black cream?!) and then found some ready made toppings at Hotel Chocolat, one set of which will be suitable for me - 3.3g carbs per mini dark chocolate vampire! Will use to decorate cakes. Also some white chocolate eyes, which I won’t eat. Considering getting some of the psyllium husk that turns purple for something savoury, or even lemon drizzle cake!

View attachment 36250 View attachment 36251

They look great fun!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 36250 View attachment 36251
All looks great! Have fun doing them. What a good idea to use the purple psyllium husk! I have some of that and don’t use it much because I don’t like the look of purple rolls, but for Halloween it’d be perfect.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Linner as later back from swimming pool than I intended: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola with a black coffee.
Dinner: liver and bacon with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Missed almost a week of posting.

@DJC3 -- Hugs for Dennis.
@Goonergal -- Brilliant ideas for Halloween.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a hamburger patty with cheese, avocado and mayo. Two packages of chicken cracklings.

Dinner: The other half of the hamburger. Lamb's lettuce with gouda, quail eggs, and Caesar's dressing. A glass of red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
10 pm - Just got home. I only had about 1 oz of cheese and a small serving of lettuce with a cup of tea. Forgot to test beforehand or take insulin but BG was 4.8 when I got home. Tempted by crackers and cake but I was good and looked the other way. Quite hungry now though. One more cup of tea, I think and then bed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Missed almost a week of posting.

@DJC3 -- Hugs for Dennis.
@Goonergal -- Brilliant ideas for Halloween.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a hamburger patty with cheese, avocado and mayo. Two packages of chicken cracklings.

Dinner: The other half of the hamburger. Lamb's lettuce with gouda, quail eggs, and Caesar's dressing. A glass of red wine.

Thanks for Dennis hug - I’ll pass it on to him.

Your meals always sound so delicious and exotic: quails eggs with a hamburger!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
15-10-19
Started with tea
Avocado intended for breakfast was off
So nut granola and one of the LC pancakes.
More tea
Coffee
Lunch: seeded baguette and pâté, same size piece of bread but 63g. Lettuce, radish and chives. Had the last of the LC pancakes spread with butter. Think I might just try a test with ordinary ones.
Coffee
Wine
Dinner pasta with bacon, cream and blue cheese. Peas and French beans . Another glass of wine. About a dozen home grown walnuts, winkling them out of the shell can take ages. MrSlim roasted some of our chestnuts. I had two.
Bedtime tea

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still have a long way to go with the posts and got distracted by Bake Off. Bed on Thursday after that seriously good meal 5.3 FBG 6.3. Today I finally got back into the 4's after a serious amount of walking. Headed to Whitley Bay on the Metro - disappointed. Needs a serious upgrade. Then Tynemoutb - lovely place. By the time we got back everyone else had arrived.
B. Hotel breakfast really good. Coffee together with smashed avocado & chilli on GF bread, 2 poached eggs and hollandaise.
L. Bowl of Carrot & Coriander soup at Spanish City in Whitley Bay (that side they had spent money on). Soup was really good. Very warming after a bracing walk. Tynemouth was next and another bracing walk. Lovely shops, pubs and restaurants. My walking colleagues had food - I didn't.
D. All out for dinner in Newcastle at a little Italian. Family run and quite straightforward Italian fare. I had a frittura mista of whitebait, squid and prawn with garlic mayo to start. Followed with a chicken and prawn dish in a cream, brandy and tomato sauce with spinach. Lots more dry white wine and an Irish coffee.

All the walking kept my BGs down.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have a long way to go with the posts and got distracted by Bake Off. Bed on Thursday after that seriously good meal 5.3 FBG 6.3. Today I finally got back into the 4's after a serious amount of walking. Headed to Whitley Bay on the Metro - disappointed. Needs a serious upgrade. Then Tynemoutb - lovely place. By the time we got back everyone else had arrived.
B. Hotel breakfast really good. Coffee together with smashed avocado & chilli on GF bread, 2 poached eggs and hollandaise.
L. Bowl of Carrot & Coriander soup at Spanish City in Whitley Bay (that side they had spent money on). Soup was really good. Very warming after a bracing walk. Tynemouth was next and another bracing walk. Lovely shops, pubs and restaurants. My walking colleagues had food - I didn't.
D. All out for dinner in Newcastle at a little Italian. Family run and quite straightforward Italian fare. I had a frittura mista of whitebait, squid and prawn with garlic mayo to start. Followed with a chicken and prawn dish in a cream, brandy and tomato sauce with spinach. Lots more dry white wine and an Irish coffee.

All the walking kept my BGs down.
That food sounds delicious and your account of the day almost comes alive from the screen. Every now and then a post appears on here which gives me a glimpse of how this woe could work for me. Chop the chilli, coffee and white wine, change location to Southwold or Padstow and bingo. Thanks @maglil55 added to bucket list.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for Dennis hug - I’ll pass it on to him.

Your meals always sound so delicious and exotic: quails eggs with a hamburger!

Hi @DJC3,

Hope Dennis is feeling a bit better by now.

I guess what you eat depends a lot on cultural influences. So, in fact for me it is often the reverse and it is your food that often sounds exotic to me.

Btw, quail eggs actually taste not much different from chicken eggs -- just smaller and therefore a lot fiddlier. Probably won't buy them again. Wished I could find pasture-raised eggs, though -- but alas ...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3,

. Wished I could find pasture-raised eggs, though -- but alas ...
Limited experience granted but from what we have learned with our chickens I doubt if pure pasture raised chickens would ever lay enough eggs even with a vast prairie to roam to make the enterprise commercially viable. Would probably work with your own chickens - less eggs - or better still bantams. Just my hunch.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Yesterday was a weird one, since I was rather sleep deprived, and that always makes me want to eat voraciously, and eat unsuitable things.

B: low carb hot choc with cream
L: used the panini plates of the waffle maker to do cheesy corned beef with fried eggs and chilli. Used a tip I saw in a Chaffle youtube vid to sprinkle grated cheese on the plate and let it melt before adding anything else. The crispy crunchy result, esp on the edges, was sublime. Served with Branston pickle.
D: cheesy mince and a goatsmilk yog

All in all, a dairy filled day. :D

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Yesterday was a weird one, since I was rather sleep deprived, and that always makes me want to eat voraciously, and eat unsuitable things.

B: low carb hot choc with cream
L: used the panini plates of the waffle maker to do cheesy corned beef with fried eggs and chilli. Used a tip I saw in a Chaffle youtube vid to sprinkle grated cheese on the plate and let it melt before adding anything else. The crispy crunchy result, esp on the edges, was sublime. Served with Branston pickle.
D: cheesy mince and a goatsmilk yog

All in all, a dairy filled day. :D

Lack of sleep always makes me hungry too.
The crispy cheesy bits sound lovely. I made this omelette recently which has similar crispy cheesy appeal. Very simple and so yummy

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/jills-cheese-crusted-omelet

Reactions: ziggy_w