Type 1'stars R Us

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.
Click on 'FORUMS' (top left on a PC).
Scroll trhouch the sub-forums until you find one to your liking, for instance 'Ask A Question' and click it.
You'll find a list of threads, but also a green 'Post New Thread' button at the top right.
Click it and go ahead!

Another useful feature is the search bar (also top right, just scroll up on this page to find it) where you can find things on the forum. You could for instance use it to find posts about Lantus and Tresiba.

Good luck!
Thank you, i will investigate and try it out now :)

Reactions: Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Again, thanks for all the welcomes, would someone be able to tell me how to ask direct questions to the forums? i am trying to find some downloadable diabetes management software that allows me to record food/liquids taken, as well as Blood results and insulin doses, also notes as to why i suspect things have gone wrong/right. paper diary's don't contain nearly enough space for the data i need to input.

I will be sure to engage in the community in a productive and mostly inoffensive way :)
Hi and welcome! Love the avatar, and I won’t do what you tell me either ;)

MySugr is great for tracking all those things, I’ve been using it for years and it’ll generate reports for your team too. The free version does the job but you get all sorts of extras if you subscribe. I’ve found it well worth the couple of quid a month, as you can search your results by location etc.

Colour me knackered today - have had two very intense revision days at uni in preparation for my practical clinical exams next week. I’m pretty cool with basic life support and using the defibrillator, selecting the right tubes to shove down someone’s gob and when is groovy; identifying shockable heart rhythms is ok too. Slightly more apprehensive about remembering to ask all the right questions in the patient assessment one. So I’ll be practising that. I can do a manual blood pressure like a boss, and now a blood glucose without licking anyone’s fingers or pulling the test strip out of the meter with my teeth :D

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting fellow pumpers and prickers.

Well a bit of a disaster today at work. About lunchtime dropped my pen on the floor ( yeah rock n roll lifestyle or what) Bent down to pick it up and bumped my pump canula against the arm rest. OOOOOUCH. A wee bit painful but thought nothing of it

Had lunch and bolused accordingly. Checked bloods a few hours later and they had gone from 6.2 at luch to 10.2, did not worry as I normally get a large spike after lunch. An hour later checked again, oops up to 16.3, somethings not right. Thought about the bump I had earlier and noticed that some of the tape around canula had come loose, but it was still attached. 30 mins later 18.6, right something defo wrong here.

As it was home time now got home checked canula and pulled back tape slightly and could see the plastic needle had come out and was bent.

Changed infusion set, upped Basal to 150% and have taken fairly large correction dose, so here we go on diabetic wave.

Not happened before but then my job is pretty much sitting on my bum all day with spreadsheets. Does anyone have a job where they are constantly bumping their pump/canula and how do you cope?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . That sounds like a real pain in the a***. Unfortunately I can’t offer any advice only the hope that everything returns to normal without the old rollercoaster affect.
Reason I will not consider a pump is purely because my job involves a lot of clambering over and in machinery.

Reactions: smc4761

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the recipe for the lemong and cream cheese cakes (with choc). The pics are without the topping. Ingredients as an attachment
My amendments, use zest of 2 lemons in the cake batter
Use xylitol... be generous and the juice of half a lemon in the topping
I made 9 muffins and 12 little fairy cakes.
Tip get the oven hot and then don't open the door. Mine didn't rise as much and were darker in colour than the book pic. They are really lovely and moist and remind me of rum baba
Before I put the cream cheese topping on, I spread melted 85% dark choc!!
Combination is brilliant
Book says 2g per 100gView attachment 36231 View attachment 36231 View attachment 36232 View attachment 36233

Thanks.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to all those recently joining in! @Streather \m/ @Dian Fourie and @Justin04 and anyone else I may have missed.

I am ridiculously over-tired and ultra grumpy right now, so trying not to inflict that on anyone either in my actual life or on forums. As one friend said recently. "It's not a good combination when you are both bored and exhausted."! That friend speaks from experience.

Still, there are only three working days left for me of this half term, thanks to DAFNE, and possibly the planned break away over the proper half term is long overdue.

Remarkably bloods are behaving well for the time being.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 my job is about as rock and roll as yours sounds. However, when I had a tubey pump, I always carried a syringe which I could take some insulin from the pump if it had any problems and a spare cannnula. I never went as far as a full pump set
(spare cartridges and vial of insulin) or full set of insulin pens (unless I was away from home).
I managed to dislodge my patch pump when moving a double mattress by myself when clearing the bedroom for decorating. I hadn't realised how heavy it was or how difficult it would be to get it round a corner.

Hi @therower @Kim Possible I am quite lucky I only live 10 mins from work and they are very flexible with regards to me coming and going as I like. I dont take the mick though and always make the time back.

Getting back to normal now, sitting with a 6.4 and heading south west. Just need to be more careful.

I have also knocked off a couple of Libre by bumping into door frames, getting a wee bit clumsy in old age

On plus side my 3 months supply of pump infusion sets, syringes is getting delivered tomorrow

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Our new doggy addition has now decided she will behave in a car ride hopefully. The first time she was bouncing all over the place and we had to bring her back and put her in the crate at home. We had to take her for a vet check up and decided to stick her in the back on the way home and she actually behaved herself and sat in the corner.

Now will she be good from now on or was she behaving because she was stressed from the vet appointment and just happy to be leaving?

I've got a papaya planted and next week a lemon goes in. We are looking around for a pure Hass Avocado. That's a trick because there are over 200 varieties that exist here and they have been mingled together all over the place so...............

Last edited:
Reactions: Clivethedrive

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning my diabetic chums hope you all had a good night.

After my canula coming loose yesterday and subsequent high before changing the canula, I went to bed on a reasonable 7.1, according to my Libre. This is its last 24 hours and this one has been really accurate even with the highs of yesterday it almost matched the finger test.

Woke at 2am and knew right away i was low, very low. Quick scan with Libre confirmed this, 2.3. Now when I am that low i go into full panic mode. 2/3 jelly babies simply does not do anything for me at all, I know this works for others but I take no chances. I did scoff about 4 jelly babies and went down stairs, kettle on coffee with 6 sugars, mmmm lovely. Did a finger test and it was actually lower at 2.2, which for me is a new low. Of course that really sets me off and I am really starting to feel the hypo.
Downed the coffee in a couple of huge gulps with a couple of ginger nuts and went back upstairs to lay on bed. At least of I do go under I will not have far to fall.

Luckily 20 mins later back in land of living. Now getting the effects of the hypo, sore head and a high BG of 12.1.

A new low for me 2.2, what is lowest you have been ( its not a competition):angelic::angelic:

Reactions: karen8967

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit drizzly here in the East Mids this morning.
Roofers are here to do as much as possible in between showered/downpours.
A dry spell yesterday gave me chance to find why conservatory roof was leaking ( it was leaking when we first moved but has got progressively worse). Surprisingly it wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. A clean up, some new adhesive/ sealant and it appears that today” Bob is my uncle.”
Out for fish and chips last night, the high BS was to be expected, it always goes that way with fish and chips. Back in range now so not the end of the world.
Whatever today brings for the rest of you lovely gals and guys remember that it’s only 10 weeks to Christmas Day :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: karen8967

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . Hope the after affect of going so low are not making you feel to bad this morning. Personally I feel s*** the next day if I have a nighttime hypo. (not had one for along time )
Like yourself I can’t do the 2/3 jelly babies and wait 15 mins.
Full on kitchen raid, it has to be.:)
I see it as one of the perks of the job. We have enough to deal with why not have a **** good sugar carb blow out if we need it.
Ginger nuts and cold milk is definitely a go to here.
As for lowest. Don’t know really. In years gone by without CGM and using old style insulin I would wake up and come around dripping in sweat with my wife saying that I’d already eaten glucotabs and 3 weetabix:). BS would still be below 3.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, not much going on. Seem to have a slight cold, or something, which might be pushing blood sugar up a bit, but not loads, totally survivable though, so barely worth mentioning.

I've decided to paint the kitchen pink, just can't decide how pink.

Hope you all have a good day.

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, I'm sure the forecast said dry, OK just checked and have to wait til 10am
Madam BAD is very and I don't know why. That's the problem with finger pricking, you only get glimpses. My appointment with diabetes registrar is in a month and I know for sure they're going to be unhappy with my HbA1c. I can't see me stabilising BG in 2 weeks before I get the blood test done and it won't make a cat in hell's difference anyway. And I keep getting messages from FB with photos of me from a year ago, I was thin and now I'm a blob.
Not a happy bunny today so hope others are more positive

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends and new friends
I had my flu vaccine today and it wasn’t that bad as I remembered it. Maybe it’s the way they inject it because it was quite painful in the past. Nurse was quite good, I was in there for a minute. My online pharmacy order has been dispatched and it feels like Christmas, they were able to get Fiasp :D
As for the food situation, they provide staff food. I wasn’t expecting them to give me food but they provide it. They’ve been telling everyone different things so if it was made clear, I’ll be able to work around it.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @SueJB the weather here is suppose to brighten later, wasn't surprised to draw back the curtains this morning to a very dull wet grey morning seems to be a running theme for the whole of October I think. (if you could PM me the green 'tomaat' soup recipe please)

My BAD has been 'stunningly' stuck around the 8 mark regardless of any corrections - could be worse I suppose, and it may be the tail end of the cold I had at the weekend or the tail end of both insulin cartridges.........

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I'm sure the forecast said dry, OK just checked and have to wait til 10am
Madam BAD is very and I don't know why. That's the problem with finger pricking, you only get glimpses. My appointment with diabetes registrar is in a month and I know for sure they're going to be unhappy with my HbA1c. I can't see me stabilising BG in 2 weeks before I get the blood test done and it won't make a cat in hell's difference anyway. And I keep getting messages from FB with photos of me from a year ago, I was thin and now I'm a blob.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling very optimistic today. Try to keep things in perspective, I bet you only put the photos of yourself on facebook a year ago in which you looked really thin, and the difference isn't anything like as much, in reality, as it looks from here.

Try not to get too caught up in negative stuff. Have a good day.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m only a blob because it’s cold and every food item looks delicious. I think the work shirt is a weird sizing so it emphasises my potatoness. I hope things work out in the end, sending you a hug!