What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3,

Hope Dennis is feeling a bit better by now.

I guess what you eat depends a lot on cultural influences. So, in fact for me it is often the reverse and it is your food that often sounds exotic to me.

Btw, quail eggs actually taste not much different from chicken eggs -- just smaller and therefore a lot fiddlier. Probably won't buy them again. Wished I could find pasture-raised eggs, though -- but alas ...

I think you’re right, a lot depends on cultural influence. I’ve seen quails eggs in supermarkets here, preboiled but never had them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose were to start stocking bantam eggs but I havent seen them but then my branch isnt very big. Anyone else found them?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still on catch up although I've got far enough to realise why poor Dennis us under the weather @DJC3! Poor wee man. How is he now? How is Mr Slim @SlimLizzy? The answer may be there but I'm still reading.
I'm now up to Saturday. Bed 5.3 after Friday's Italian restaurant visit and FBG 6.7. Hubby under the weather so left him in bed, told housekeeping to leave the room and went off for breakfast then out on my own some. It was another nice day so I was quite happy to go for a wander on my own although I spent some time avoiding protests. One about the Kurds & Trump, one about "Fascist Tories" and about a dozen Extinction Rebellion nutters. Had a good wander and, surprisingly for me, only came back with another jumper for Hubby.
B. Coffee and I switched to a GF eggs benedict with bacon, mushroom, 2 poached eggs and hollandaise.
L. Skipped lunch today.
D. Had a private dining room organised in the hotel tonight. Greeted with prosecco. I had a starter of a mix of prawns done with cherry tomatoes and goats cheese which was very tasty. Followed by chicken again. A battered out, butterflied chicken breast served on a bed of cabbage, a rather nice sauce, spinach and celeriac mash. More copious amounts of dry white wine and another sugerless Irish coffee.
Had quite a laugh with the humming game. You all put songs into a container and pick one out. You then hum the song and everyone has to guess what it is. It's more difficult than you think especially when they're trying not to guess as the one who gets it right goes next. Followed that with a game where you had to speak for 2 mins but not use and words with the letter "a" in it.
A very late night!

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up to Sunday now and still not finished reading all the posts. Bed after the private dining 5.6 FBG 5.7. Hubby now fully recovered having decided not to drink yesterday apart from one Irish coffee.
He made it to breakfast this morning too. Horrible wet day but can't complain it was the first one this week.
B. Coffee and I opted for a few thin slices of cheese, a slice of ham and 3 of salami. Followed by bacon, mushroom, 2 poached eggs and a slice of GF toast. Quite a few were departing today so we stayed to make our farewells until next year.
L. There was a huge Sunday market on all the way from the Quayside to the Tyne bridges. Took a while - waterproofs on and hoods up! Got to the high tyne bridge and wondered what the screaming was. People on zip wires going across the tyne to the other side. Lunch was a coffee to dry off a bit and a bowl of curried lentil soup to warm up when we got back.
D. Wandered out with our remaining colleagues and got lost. Finally found the restaurant. Started with scallops, pea puree and chorizo. Main was kangaroo fillet, red wine and red current jus, a lovely selection of finely cut veg, more white wine and yet another Irish coffee.

Thankfully didn't get lost on the way back.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make sure I put anything I'm blowtorching on a metal tray. Been there, done it.....

There's not a week passes where we don't declare our luuuuurve for the prep bench. It was a practical solution to a storage/work surface problem, that could have ended up temp or prema. That big stainless steel workspace isn't going anywhere. If fact we were saying, next the kitchen has a refurb, there'll be more such areas.

Roasting tins straight from the oven to bench top? Surface needed to encourage cooling of, say, leftovers prior to going into the fridge pr freezer? Rolling dough/pastry?

I could go on.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lakeland might have spider web stencils, otherwise it’d be easy to draw yourself if you bought black food colouring.
You could make any of your tried and trusted cakes - like the choc olive oil cake, then cover the top with icing made from finely ground erythritol ( I’m sure @maglil55 has mentioned you can do this) and water. Once set paint the web on with black ( concentric circles then draw lines like spokes through the circles)
(If the icing doesn’t work - and I suggest trying a small amount first - you could just buy ready rolled icing and peel it off your slice)
Yes - I've made drizzle icing that way. I've also made icing with a cream cheese combo which I'm sure @Goonergal started using on her lemon drizzle cake. It's on my CMT anyway.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the M&S seasonal section (@DCUKMod posted the link a few days ago).
https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-to-order/party-food-and-sandwiches
there are fantastic ideas - like cheese or fathead pastry as mummy bandages,
As for colour - raw orange pepper could be useful. Also red pepper/tomato for blood.

Are you going sweet or savoury?

How about dead mens fingers... cooked mini sausages, with slivers of almond (as fingernails) stuck on with tomato or chilli sauce
I recall someone making "Mummy Dogs" - high meat content sausages wrapped in fathead dough to look like mummy bandages and some kind of black seed for eyes.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you’re right, a lot depends on cultural influence. I’ve seen quails eggs in supermarkets here, preboiled but never had them.
I've used them quite a few times to make things usually at a big family meal. They are little swines to get the timing right to get a soft boiled quail egg and to get the shell of the things without splitting them.
I've made mini scotch eggs out of them before.
Yes, they do taste just like hens eggs.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There's not a week passes where we don't declare our luuuuurve for the prep bench. It was a practical solution to a storage/work surface problem, that could have ended up temp or prema. That big stainless steel workspace isn't going anywhere. If fact we were saying, next the kitchen has a refurb, there'll be more such areas.

Roasting tins straight from the oven to bench top? Surface needed to encourage cooling of, say, leftovers prior to going into the fridge pr freezer? Rolling dough/pastry?

I could go on.

I agree - stainless steel workbenches are great in a kitchen. We bought 3 from Sissons about 20+ years ago and when we moved the kitchen to another part of the house, they were the backbone of the new arrangement. They still look almost as good as new and are fantastic surfaces to work on. They don't burn, they don't stain, they clean easily, they are great for all kinds of dough (not that I make any dough very often any more) they are great for dumping hot pots and pans on. The only thing is - they can't be used as chopping boards - they will blunt the knife. I won't go on, but I'm very much a fan.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday - we were heading home this afternoon as was the last of our colleagues. Bed 6.7 FBG 6.3. A nice day again. Last breakfast in hotel, finished packing and final bill wasn't as bad as I expected.
B. Coffee and reverted to eggs benedict with bacon.
L. Went for a last wander after saying goodbyes then headed to the train station early afternoon after another coffee. Picked up some coconut and rollitos in M&S which I nibbled at on the train. Diet coke on the train.
D. Had to nip out for some shopping. A quick dinner of chicken wings, veggies chips and cheese and chive dip. An early night as house was freezing - new boiler not going in until Wednesday and we hadn't been here to have little electric heaters on.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used them quite a few times to make things usually at a big family meal. They are little swines to get the timing right to get a soft boiled quail egg and to get the shell of the things without splitting them.
I've made mini scotch eggs out of them before.
Yes, they do taste just like hens eggs.

I do remember a few years ago after an episode of Bake Off, I think it was Paul Hollywood’s technical challenge - a raised meat pie with a soft boiled quail egg in the middle. My youngest daughter was a very keen cook at the time and made these several times. They were delicious when she got it spot on but they were VERY fiddly and the eggs were hard to find back then.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I've made drizzle icing that way. I've also made icing with a cream cheese combo which I'm sure @Goonergal started using on her lemon drizzle cake. It's on my CMT anyway.

I did indeed - it rescued my first attempt and I’ll be using it on my Halloween baking (with added food colouring).

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost there now. Boiler fitting was supposed to start yesterday but the previous job was on over run (and still is) so they had to send another installer. Would have been part yesterday, part today but instead it was all at once today (Wednesday). Bed Monday 5.3 FBG 5.6. Was busy clearing all the areas around the radiators so didn't eat too much.
B. TAG with ADOC and a couple of these M&S mini breakfast muffins.
L. Nothing
D. 4 air fried thin lamb chops with mint sauce and halloumi fries spiced with hot paprika and wrapped in parma ham. Another coffee and a bit DGF Millionaire shortbread I took from the freezer in the afternoon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@mouseee - brilliant stuff, congratulations!

Spent all morning drooling over the thought of the pork roast from the street stall I discovered a while back. Meeting in area scheduled to finish around lunchtime. Rushed there only to find it wasn’t set up today :(. Settled for a trial of the garlic and Parmesan wings at the newly opened Wing Stop near work. Pretty good, if a bit stingy with the Parmesan.

Dinner was bone in sirloin steak.

In between times rather too much 85% chocolate.

Next a trial run of my Halloween cakes needs to be made.

E826AE26-07F2-4679-AC37-F773C3F6EB1E.jpeg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Limited experience granted but from what we have learned with our chickens I doubt if pure pasture raised chickens would ever lay enough eggs even with a vast prairie to roam to make the enterprise commercially viable. Would probably work with your own chickens - less eggs - or better still bantams. Just my hunch.

I am afraid you are probably correct. I found a couple of farms on the internet, who have pastured chickens (and eggs), but all are too far away from where I live. Unfortunately, none of the grocery stores carry them, not even those specializing in organic food stuff.