Porridge oats and spike in BG!!!!!!!!!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just had a gf porridge breakfast at 30gms as I’m now coeliac. I was really looking forward to a good result but my bs has shot up to 16? I used to eat porridge pre coeliac and found it was good. I’m struggling with everything at the moment, even after being type 1 for 44 years my results are really erratic. Could this be because of gut damage? It’s starting to get me down as everyone feels happier with good tests don’t they? Feel like I’m failing and becoming a problem to the NHS ☹️

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had blueberrys and greek yogurt for breakfast today and it hardly put my blood sugar up at all although I do still miss toast :sick:
My local (north western ) supermarket sells what they call low GI bread, which is very like granary bread. It’s 36g carbs per 100 and 8 grams a pre-sliced slice. I buy the unsliced version and slice it into 0.5 cm slices. I have 2 of these for breakfast with butter and cheese and the effect on my BG is negligible but my toast addiction is satisfied. I am sure most supermarkets will do something similar and the bread slicer was very cheap from Lidl. Although as everyone says, we are all different and other toast addicts may react more!

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey, what a lot of interesting replies! It will take a while to try out the different combinations etc, but sure I will get there in the end!

As a note, a rise of 1 point is not much. It went from 8.4 to 9.4. A 1 point rise following meal is perfectly ok, if you started at 5 and went to 6 then you would be happy with that meal.

The rise is not the issue really, you started high and topped it up. Your medication might help with that along with the all the other things i'm sure your considering.

I eat oats, but my morning is maybe 5ish and it maybe goes to 5..5 to 6ish which im happy with. Find a goal and work to it really, if you need to go ultra low carb to nock down your levels then cirtainly that the way to go but i would wait to see how your medication also helps before discounting everything right now. Your rise after that meal wasn't bad really if you started at 5 and went to 9 that is a totally different issue.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a note, a rise of 1 point is not much. It went from 8.4 to 9.4. A 1 point rise following meal is perfectly ok, if you started at 5 and went to 6 then you would be happy with that meal.

The rise is not the issue really, you started high and topped it up. Your medication might help with that along with the all the other things i'm sure your considering.

I eat oats, but my morning is maybe 5ish and it maybe goes to 5..5 to 6ish which im happy with. Find a goal and work to it really, if you need to go ultra low carb to nock down your levels then cirtainly that the way to go but i would wait to see how your medication also helps before discounting everything right now. Your rise after that meal wasn't bad really if you started at 5 and went to 9 that is a totally different issue.
All I’d add is check for a while after higher carb foods like oats, potatoes, bread etc. Sometimes though the rise might not be as high as you expect it might get higher later or take a very long time to come back down. So on at least one or two occasions be sure with a 3 and even 4 hr check looking for delayed reactions. You might be very lucky and be ok, you might be missing the damage.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I’d add is check for a while after higher carb foods like oats, potatoes, bread etc. Sometimes though the rise might not be as high as you expect it might get higher later or take a very long time to come back down. So on at least one or two occasions be sure with a 3 and even 4 hr check looking for delayed reactions. You might be very lucky and be ok, you might be missing the damage.
True, testing is king. I have been checking to start with every 30 or 45 mins after a meal to plot the curve. I see a spike and drop with refined carbs and a long slow burn with complex. That's just for me though so testing is king to be sure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My local (north western ) supermarket sells what they call low GI bread, which is very like granary bread. It’s 36g carbs per 100 and 8 grams a pre-sliced slice. I buy the unsliced version and slice it into 0.5 cm slices. I have 2 of these for breakfast with butter and cheese and the effect on my BG is negligible but my toast addiction is satisfied. I am sure most supermarkets will do something similar and the bread slicer was very cheap from Lidl. Although as everyone says, we are all different and other toast addicts may react more!
I have livlife bread from Waitrose, or Protein bread from Asda, both are 4 gm per slice, and I eat one with my kippers.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam not wanting to derail the thread, but are you still able to get Protein Bread from your Asda? My local one has stopped selling it, and I thought it was very good.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - I bought their entire stock last times I was there, so have not been in recently but I'll see if I can call in tonight and have a look. If not, then I can possibly get it at the Polish delicatessen.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Noting that as the post you are replying to is over 7 years old, things may have changed in that time.:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@conniecar . So sorry to hear that you’re struggling at the moment.
Living 44 yrs as a type 1 most definitely is not a failing. I doubt that anyone would see you as a problem to the nhs.
Coeliac is something I have no experience of but my understanding is that this isn’t a condition bought about by lifestyle.
You haven’t failed and become coeliac.
As for the porridge.
If I eat porridge i can get big rises in BS. Over the years I’ve found a few things that seem to help.
1. The actual porridge or oats. M&S Whole Scottish porridge oats seem to work best for me.
2. Preparation. I mix the oats and milk on a 2:1 ratio. 2 parts milk, 1 part oats. I use a measuring cup.
3. I prep the oats the night before and leave in the fridge until the next morning.
4. I either microwave or cook on the hob.
5. I try to pre bolus about 15 mins prior to eating.
Strangely as it may sound when I prep and eat oats in this way I tend to get no more than a 2 to 3 rise in BS after eating.
Obviously this works for me and I’m not coeliac. Is it worth a try? I’ll leave that to you.
Either way I wish you the best of luck going forward.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noting that as the post you are replying to is over 7 years old, things may have changed in that time.:)
Haha I didn't notice that, although I was replying drawn in by the much more recent post. I didn't dig this one out the grave myself!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I used to love that but can’t eat it now I’m coeliac ☹️